SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dlm2000

Wax Finish Floors - Anyone have them?

DLM2000-GW
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

cross posting to Building forum

We're in the design stage and I need a break from dimensions and how to fit a 3k sq ft wish list into 2200 sq ft so I'm thinking about floors. The house will have site finished stained hardwood throughout, probably 2-1/4" #1 oak because we have a good source and can get reasonably long lengths - nothing like the old days of 15'+ boards though. One of our floor pet peeves is the chopped up look with lots of short boards, the other is bevels (no matter how small) in prefinished flooring so that is not being considered.

We are empty nesters with a 40# dog currently. We'd love a house full of dogs but realistically will have 2 at a time. Friends and family visit so we expect every other month or so to have 2 people for 5 - 7 days, and occasionally 4 people at a time.

I've had oil poly and water based poly finishes - just not impressed with the water based. The house I grew up in had wax finished oak parquet and I remember a few times they were cleaned (stripped?) and re-waxed by pros and in between my parents had a small electric buffer and some kind of liquid wax top coat they could apply. In my memory, it was not a huge undertaking but I never actually did it and they are not here to ask I do remember the glow of the freshly buffed floors and love the look.

So..... does anyone have waxed floors? Maintenance headache? Upkeep reasonable for the look? Other thoughts?

Comments (10)