SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
madtownwriter

Tree Planting: So Many Hardpan Questions

madtownwriter
8 years ago

Hello, All,

So I'm nearly three years into owning my first house, and I'm finally trying to plan what to do with my back yard in terms of tree planting. Currently, there's nothing back there, just dirt and whatever weeds have sprouted since last I weeded, about three weeks ago. Here's a pretty accurate idea, made in MS Word, of the dimensions of my yard. The back of the house roughly faces west, and the yellow lines are drawn out from the center of 5' windows, which I hope to shade with trees as best I can.

I think that I've got how to plant the trees pretty well sorted out. There are a ton of guides, and, with minor differences, they seem to all share basically the same steps taken in the same order. I've also got the trees picked out; after having combed through many different online guides and sites that have to do with water-smart tree planting, I've settled on crape myrtles for the west side and western redbuds for the south. I've also already talked with USA North 811, and I'm cleared to start digging.

And that's the extent of my confidence. What I can't figure out is what, if anything, I should do about hardpan. None of the tree planting guides that I looked at mentioned even being concerned about hardpan. However, some of the guys that I pal around with, either teachers (like me) or school administrators who have planted trees, all mention having to break through the hardpan in order for the trees to thrive. Nearly all of them have made mention of using an auger. I wonder if they're just passing down outdated//discredited ideas to me as they were passed down to them.

I went through GardenWeb's tree forum pretty thoroughly (for hours and hours), and there's not much mention of hardpan in relation to trees at all. I do find some conflicting info online. Sunset magazine says "when planting new shrubs or trees, punch a hole through the bottom of the planting hole." This University of California pdf says that one should work the soil "three to six feet" in preparation for tree planting. But then there's this University of Arizona Cooperative Extension page that says that "the root ball should be set on undisturbed soil." I've read many versions of the idea that the soil under a root ball should be firm/"undisturbed" so that the tree doesn't drop down into the sol as the earth under it resettles. Does that settle it for not worrying about hardpan that isn't going to be dug out when I dig the planting holes at 2-3 times the width of the root ball and so that the top of the root ball isn't buried?

I'm trying to get all of this planned/scheduled out before the school year starts so that I can get as much done/sorted out now.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Madtownwriter

Comments (19)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!