SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
woodyoak

Chinese wisteria summer bloom

Due to the past two nasty winters, we had no spring flowers on the Chinese wisteria 'tree' this spring or last. The Japanese wisteria 'tree' didn't bloom last year but did bloom this spring. I think the Chinese one lost both the flowerbuds and the 'spur'-type flowering wood in the winter of 2013-2014. Normally we get a decent summer bloom from the Chinese wisteria but last summer it produced no summer flowers at all. So I was happy to see it starting to produce them now. I take it as a sign that it is rebuilding flowering wood - we keep all the new whippy, curly foliage growth pruned back as it appears. We've noticed over the years that when that growth is pruned back, 7-10 days later flower racemes develop at/near the site of the pruning. The flowers are smaller, a somewhat different color, and far less prolific than the spring flowers - but they're nice to have! Here's a picture of some from this morning:

and a spring flower from 2013 to show how different they are:

To add a bit of color in the summer, we also grow a Henryi clematis into the wisteria. It's not a big bloomer but it's nice to see the white flowers sprinkled here and there in the 'tree' from June into late August! In this picture from this morning you can see both a few clematis flowers, and a few of the summer wisteria flowers too (although those ones don't show up well against the foliage!):

Comment