SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
numbersjunkie

Foundation Plant Suggestions Needed

numbersjunkie
8 years ago

We have a vacation home on Lake Gaston NC and plan to tear out all the plantings on the road side of the house and start fresh. We live in MD so I'm not totally up on what plants will work best there, so hoping to get some input.

We want things that will be as low maintenance/hardy as possible. The house is a brick rancher - dark brownish/red brick. The road side faces north.There are lots of trees surrounding the house - mostly hardwood since we are hoping to get rid of the existing pines which clog the gutters.

On the left side of the entry porch, we will be eliminating the lawn area to add additional parking. But there will be space for foundation plantings and possibly a flower bed between the parking area and the house.

On the right side of the entry porch, there will be lawn area and I 'm pretty sure I want to plant a crepe myrtle tree there - probably white. Then we also need foundation plantings on that side as well. There is an AC unit in the front of the house close to the right corner. Would love to hide that as much as possible.

On both sides, I want to be sure that whatever we plant will allow us to get between/behind the plants with a ladder to wash the windows - without getting stuck by sharp branches and without breaking the branches. Something soft/flexible.

FYI, the porch is about 4 steps off the ground in the front so that should give you some idea of the height we can accomodate.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting