SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
redsun9

Disappearing Garlic Bulbil Bed, What to Do?

Last fall, I planted 4 varieties of bulbils, German White, Killarney Red, Spanish Roja and German Red, in a 10'x16' bed. All of them did well this spring. But I have serious weed problem. A couple of times, weeds totally took over the bed during a rain spell. I have other things to take care of. So I did not weed the bed timely. The plants appear doing fine, thought not as strong as I would like.

Then I was slow in harvesting the bulbs. When I pulled all the weeds and try to dig the bulbs, most of the plants are gone. I can't find traces of German White and Spanish Roja. I did pull some German Red and Killarney Red.

I figure a lot of the bulbils are in the soil. They would come up if the bed is not disturbed. So it is a dilemma as to what to do. I can leave the bed as is and keep it weeded for the rest of the year. Just hope the bulbils would come up next spring. It is kind of waste to see the bed idle for 1/2 of the year.

Or I can just forget about the bulbils and use the bed for something else. In the fall, I can either plant more bulbils in the same bed to take advantage of the volunteer bulbils. Or I can safely forget about the volunteer bulbils next season?

Hope not to make this so complicated....

Comments (9)