SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alex4294

My Indoor Garden

alex4294
8 years ago

Hi there,

I've been growing houseplants for around 8 years now and I thought I'd share my garden as it's something I'm really proud of. Now I've found a place with a south facing bay window, my plants have really taken off and I'm able to grow things I never used to be able to. The temperature stays between 18-26 degrees C (64-79F).

The centre table has a heat mat and is where the most cold-sensitive plants live. There's a coconut palm seedling bought from a garden centre (I know it probably won't last long but no harm in trying), a cacao seedling, nypa palms, titan arum seedlings, a giant Pandanus seedling I grew from seed picked up in Borneo, a vanilla cutting and a few more bits and bobs.

The windowsill is home to tougher houseplants (and an extra coconut) and various seedlings I've picked up on my travels, such as this sea grape:

Here's a super-dwarf cavendish. It's doing alright but not growing as fast as I thought it would. The whole window suffered a spider mite infestation last month and the banana took a big hit. I've managed to get them under control and it's starting to look better.

I've had the coconut palms for 6 days and they've both put out 6cm of growth in that time from their central spears. I've covered them with some plant anti-transpirant spray as humidity isn't as high as it should be and I repotted them with compost and extra perlite. Hopefully they'll do alright but they probably won't make it to Christmas sadly!

The kitchen is north facing, so the plants in there are shade-loving.

Finally (!) there's the courtyard where I keep my bromeliads and orchids in the summer, all bought from clearance and are in recovery.

My most prized orchid was bought reduced from £20 to 10p as it was almost lifeless and completely wilted with no living roots. I've nursed it back to health over the past year and it's just rewarded me with such a beautiful bloom. I've identified it as Miltonidium "Painter's Delight".

Hope you've enjoyed all the pictures! This hobby has taught me patience, something which doesn't come naturally to me. Hopefully one day I'll be able to invest in a big tropical greenhouse and they'll be towering above me haha.

Comments (20)