SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kevinhoene

Looking for windows with black interior and black exterior

kevinhoene
8 years ago

Hello,

My wife would like to find windows with black interior and black exterior for our new construction. Our house will be very modern/contemporary. The majority of our windows will be fixed. We will also have some French sliders. We received a quote for Pella Impervia windows that have black interior and black exterior. Our local lumber yard carries Marvin and Anderson, neither of which offer a line of windows with black interiors. We were told that Anderson may offer windows with black interior starting next year, but we are starting construction this fall. Do we have any options for black interior other than the Pella Impervia? Will we be happy with these windows? Thanks for any advice and sorry for being a window novice :)

Comments (162)

• Nellene Wiley
    5 years ago

@VuongVo I do not have photos yet. The outside is still being repaired so it looks bad still. The inside is also mid construction. I will soon though. I will post them asap!

• Lucy R
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

We are replacing single pane aluminum windows and 12 ft. sliding patio door in Houston, TX. We looked at all kinds of patio doors but most had tall bottom rails and required custom sizing. I think we are going to go with Western Aluminum Sliding door in Dark Bronze Anodized. Western windows are very expensive. For the windows we are leaning toward Milgard Ultra black bean interior/exterior, but also considering Marvin all Ultrex ebony interior/exterior. When you get Ultra windows painted on inside they use powder coating. I think Ultrex uses wet acrylic paint. The patio door opens to an elevated deck under an overhang so we are not too worried about fading. Some of the windows will get plenty of sun exposure. Any comments on these fiberglass painting processes? I think Milgard warranty covers the finish on Ultra.

MIlgard Aluminum windows are probably less expensive. The door quote was about half the Western. Any feedback on MIlgard Aluminum? We don't know how long the finish or seals would last on the aluminum. We had a condo rental recently with 10 or 15 yr old windows with condensation inside the glass. I don't know the brand but the place did not have the highest quality materials. It just made us wary of double pane aluminum.

We also looked at RAM windows but they only have hinged windows. At least half the house is sliders.

• Related Discussions

White exterior Black interior windows

Q

Comments (16)
    We actually are doing this exact combination on our home right now. Our siding is dark grey and so we went with white windows because they popped next to the dark siding. Inside I fell in love with all the interior black window pictures and opted to black inside. We got our windows from Andersen and they were able to do that combo for us.
    ...See More

Anderson black interior /black exterior windows unavailable?

Q

Comments (8)
    We ordered our windows last spring, were told it would be a 3-4 month wait. Then we found out that there was a pigment shortage that affected many of colours - black, charcoal, bronze and sandalwood are the ones I know for sure were affected. It delayed our (charcoal) windows by a couple of months. We just went to order one more window in the same finish and are now being told the wait is more like 8 months. Incidentally our fridge (which was supposed to be guaranteed 6 months lead time) is now 12+ months and counting.
    ...See More

Andersen 100 black exterior/black interior cost

Q

Comments (4)
    There may be regional variations, but for a 3000 sq ft home, Andersen 100 black/black windows cost me a total of $10k (+16% builder fee, but the builder passed his discount onto me) in Nov. This is in Texas. Prices have gone up since then, but $10k just for a color upgrade, albeit for a bigger home, seems excessive to me. One of the issues could be that these windows have longer lead times, and your builder may be pricing in a construction delay.
    ...See More

Black exterior white interior window world windows

Q

Comments (12)
    We got one other bid that was much higher through a glass company that out sourced so we would be paying the contractor markup. They did not have a sample to see, but they were highly ranked and reviewed and had many photos. They just took all photos straight on so you couldn't see this. Unfortunately paint isn't a great option on vinyl. I'm not sure what is different about how they do it in the factory but in the field it is hard. Overall I think we're stuck unless we want to replace them all. I'm just telling everyone to avoid Window World- absolute worst contractor we dealt with on this project and we completely gutted the house so we dealt with a lot of different businesses.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    5 years ago

If you are in Houston, you definitely want to talk to Randy at Ultra Windows at a minimum before go through the process to completion.

• Dan Abell
    4 years ago

Anderson 100 series offers black/black and is a decent window. I would avoid Milgard black bean because it definitely isn't black enough especially in sunlight. Also avoid Milgard aluminum windows because the quality is terrible.

If you are looking for aluminum, check out Fleetwood which you can get in Dark Bronze Anodized. It's a beautiful near black finish which resembles matte black.

I have both Fleetwood and Anderson and I prefer Fleetwood for its high quality and luxurious and clean look.

• Kathy H
    4 years ago

I’m looking for pictures of black double hung windows from the inside. I see lots of casement pictures but very few double hung in black.
    Does anyone have any they’d like to share? I would so appreciate it!

• cpmom73
    4 years ago

These are Renewal by Anderson...

• barbbly
    4 years ago

We went with Marvin, and are VERY happy with them. We have an expensive one for the kitchen (which has very visible details) and less expensive for ones that are further away from the eye.

• cpmom73
    4 years ago

Taken the day installed.

• Kathy H
    4 years ago

Beautiful! Thank you so much for taking the time to post your pictures. I was stressing over my decision but I feel much better now:)

• cpmom73
    4 years ago

Very welcome. Mine are replacement, new build windows may have a thinner frame. But we are very happy with these windows. The only thing I would change is my choice of screens. But happy we don't have storm windows anymore.

• V V
    4 years ago

Black Marvin Integrity Windows are phenomenal

• Kathy H
    4 years ago

I have already ordered Andersen 400 series but thank you for sharing. They look great!

• Lucy Randel
    4 years ago

Milgard Ultra single hung

• Kathy H
    4 years ago

The construction of my home will be 2 x 6 so where I thought the windows would be fairly flush with the interior wall he said they’re going to be set back. At first I was told 4” inches which panicked me because I was hoping for a “modern” farmhouse look And none of the pictures I’ve seen have looked that far set back...now he said 2” if I use an extension jamb. Clearly this is my first experience with new construction🤪 and I also live in an area(NJ) where nobody is using black interior windows yet. There are a few homes going up with black exterior but white interior -but I’m going stick to my plan because your pictures all look great👍🏻🙂🤞🏻

• cfillyaw
    4 years ago

Here are Integrity windows on a 2x6 wall. The jamb extension is about 2”.

• Kathy H
    4 years ago

Oh to see that is such a big help to me...thank you!

• cpmom73
    4 years ago

I think having a little extra space is a plus...especially should you want blinds attached inside rather then on the frame. Good luck!

• Kathy H
    4 years ago

Excellent point...thank you!

• Amber Hale
    4 years ago

We recently bought renewal by Anderson windows which were black interior and exterior but when they arrived, the track that the windows slide back and fourth on were a light brown which they are calling stone. Anderson is now telling us that they nor any other company can provide a black track. This makes no sense to me as an all white window would never be two toned like this. I spoke to someone today who said Marvin can do a fully black window with a black track. Do any of you with black in black windows have a black track or is it always an off color? I adds a photo of the window and the "stone" colored track for reference.

• Kathy H
    4 years ago

I actually discovered a similar issue as I went to finalize my window order for my Anderson 400 series black/black double hung windows. The inside strip -I believe it’s weatherstripping but I’m not sure- is gray, so I requested that mine be black (obviously🤪) I was told the same thing- that it only comes in in gray so I changed the entire order to black/black casements. I’m hoping the casement doesn’t have a similar issue. I don’t get it either??

• cfillyaw
    4 years ago

I thought a Marvin Integrity has a light colored track, but the better Marvin series was all black.

• Amber Hale
    4 years ago

@kathy H yes, very disappointing! Our sales guy and the window project manager also reassured us they should not be two toned after installation but then they walked it back saying that was industry standard and there is no way around it.

• Amber Hale
    4 years ago

@cfillyaw that's good to know! Going to look into that series. Thanks!

• Lucy R
    4 years ago

We have MilgardUltra fiberglass. All black including weatherstripping.

• Lucy R
    4 years ago

There is a gray strip inside the frame but you only see if it if you are viewing at an angle.

• Amber Hale
    4 years ago

Thanks for that Lucy! I would much prefer a little gray strip than the big brown exposed area that you see all the time. Your windows look great!

• Lucy R
    4 years ago

Thanks. We have single hung, sliders, casement and picture windows. So far so good. We have been back in the house just over a month. I think this is one of the top of the line for Milgard. They seemed to be more flexible than Marvin for our custom sizes.

• amckeon
    4 years ago

We have been in our remodeled house for 2.5 years. Our black Anderson windows single hung and casement are all black. Possibly Anderson 200??? I never thought I would forget the model numbers and paint names, etc I was so immersed in for so long, but it seems I have!

I will say we compared many windows and in the ended one of the driving factors for Anderson was because I wanted the all black look. At the time, I really liked the Millard fiberglass for the low profile, too, but they were going through software changes/factory delays that would have impacted our project too negatively and we didn’t want to wait. Might be a good option now, for anyone shopping?

• Amber Hale
    4 years ago

@amckeon that's interesting that you have Anderson 200s that are all black. We have the 100 series and they are claiming to us that none of their windows out any series have a black inside track. They are probably tired of dealing with us 😋. We are going to look into Milgard.

• Kathy H
    4 years ago

Amber, I reached out to someone on IG that had all black/black windows and she used Plygem and is very happy. I can’t vouch from personal experience, but it might be something to look into?

• amckeon
    4 years ago

@Amber Hale - they could be Anderson 100s! As I mentioned, I have (surprisingly) forgotten some of the details. Perhaps the difference is new construction vs renewal?

• Amber Hale
    3 years ago

@amckeon maybe that's the difference! Our are renewal by Anderson 100 series.

• Amber Hale
    3 years ago

@kathy h thanks for that! I will check Plygem out!

• Brian Gammon
    3 years ago

@ Lucy R, or anyone who can comment, we are on the verge of ordering Milgard Ultra black / black windows. Is the black a true black, or a bit lighter than a solid black, and / or has a bit of a color hue? When I switched the color spec to Black Bean, the sales rep said that he'd best drop off a color sample. (?) Thanks for any help.

Brian

• PRO
    Milgard Windows & Doors
    3 years ago

@Brian Gammon, we have several product shots of our Ultra Black/black windows and also this new project that was completed that show's the color of the black. As you can see, this was taken outside with sun hitting it at an angle and it still shows it's a solid black. Please let me know if I can help answer any other questions!

Thanks!

Modern Home Remodel with Black Accents · More Info

• Lucy R
    3 years ago

It is pretty black . Our sliding door is a different brand-western- in anodized bronze.the 2 colors are pretty close. I would say it is a matte black. Not shiny.

• Brian Gammon
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

@ Milgard, not having seen the view through Milgard glass, can you advise, with the Low E variants, whether the slight tint biases toward either green, or yellow?

And which Low E treatment has less tint, SunCoat or SunCoat Max? I intend to have Milgard Ultra picture windows in the same space as a Pella Architect sliding door, which uses Cardinal glass and I know for a fact is biased just slightly toward yellow, not green (saw a large showroom sample yesterday).

Can you confirm that Milgard uses Cardinal Low E glass?

Obviously our concern is having the same view appear differently between the door and multiple Milgard windows. (The sliding door will be 2-panel, 120"W x 99"H.)

Thanks

Brian

• PRO
    Milgard Windows & Doors
    3 years ago

Hi Brian, I'm going to get you in touch with one of our certified dealers, can you tell me your zip code or email me at social@milgard.com so I can locate one nearest to you? They can provide different recommendations and might be able to allow you to do a visit to their showroom or virtual consultation so you can have your questions answered.

Also in regards to worrying about the sliding door not matching the Ultra windows, have you considered using our Ultra sliding door instead for a consistent look through out the home?

Thanks!

• Brian Gammon
    3 years ago

Thank you, however I'm already dealing with Pacific View in Victoria. They have been always available and helpful, but drilling down on some of these more pico-nano details is made more difficult as it has taken a while for me even to know what questions to ask. We are happy wth the attention we've received from the dealer, and they have a good reputation locally.

The sliding door will be a 2 panel, 119.5 in. wide by 99 in high. I'm told not available in Ultra, and we don't want vinyl. Just about ready to place orders including the windows in fact.

It would be helpful if you could confirm that your SunCoat is Cardinal 270, as opposed to 272. Clarity on that would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Brian

• PRO
    Milgard Windows & Doors
    3 years ago

It's 272.

• kristy1825
    2 years ago

@Kathy H Hi! I live in NJ as well and I'm planning on black/ black windows. Would you be able to show me some pictures of the windows you went with?

• sajustin2
    2 years ago

I live in a log home with ugly white windows... would love to see black windows in pictures too.

• Brian Gammon
    2 years ago

We were also wanting windows with black interiors and exteriors. For us the local availability brought it down to a choice between Pella or Milgard fiberglass windows. The Pella offerings were somewhat pricier, and we could never quite understand the why of it.

We wound up selecting Milgard Ultra, and we're happy with the end results. And Milgard's warranty was fantastic, as our landscaper accidentally hit one window with a stone and chipped it, but Milgard replaced the insert without so much as a blink.

One factor is whether a particular manufacturer's black is acceptable to you. Milgard's is called Black Bean, which is a bit lighter than true black, and I fussed over this for quite a while. Pella's may have been very slightly blacker, but also not true black. Now that we can see the final product in place, it looks fine.

Good luck on your project.

Brian

• Lucy R
    2 years ago

I am curious what people used for window treatments with their black windows. Inisde mount or outside mount?Photos? I think we will end up with inside mount for everything but the sliding door. Choosing has been agony because the double pane windows reduced the casing size to aorund 2.5 inches, which means most are not fully recessed.

• Kathy H
    2 years ago

@kristy1825 here are a few pics of the finished product! I absolutely love the windows🤗. I tried to give both an inside & outside view. Hope this helps!!

• Cindy Breitwieser
    2 years ago

@lucyr could you get away with no window treatments? Understand if you need then for privacy but if not the black looks fantastic sans curtains!

• kym
    2 years ago

We have minimal window treatments because love the look without with the thin clean bronze line.
    In the Gallery( cube) room upstairs we have a smart UV shade that comes out of the ceiling but usually it is open

• Lucy R
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

@cinderella75 facing our backyard we have a 12 ft sliding patio door and a nearby 8 ft by 4ft high window in our breakfast nook. They have custom wood trim and are beautiful. We have really been struggling with window treatments mainly for privacy when on vacation and as a light shield if we have TV on and neighbors across the fence have their back lights on. The patio does have an overhang so the sun is not too bad. There is no room to stack curtains or vertical blinds without covering 2ft or so of the glass. And no place really to mount in the ceiling like kym. Very hard to make them disappear. Also there is not much view in winter when the perennials fade and the shrubs lose leaves. Right now I just watch the birds and butterflies.

• Martha Swango
    2 years ago

@ Kathy H what windows did you go with? Thanks for posting pictures!

• HU-643754072
    2 years ago

@Martha Swango I used Anderson 400 series casement windows