Help ! Finding a wine I enjoy...........

dandyrandylou

seems as tough as finding an olive oil I like....one bottle after another. I'm stuck right now on a sherry, but would like to find a red wine that is considered to be medium - not too dry and not too sweet. Am I expecting too much from the world of grapes?

SaveComment10Like
Comments (10)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rgreen48(7a)

First, try a blended 'Red Table Wine'. Usually, as they sell them in France, blended table wines are for every taste, so most of the time they are balanced.

Then, try to remember the types of grapes used and branch out to the varietals. While it's not always the case, each variety is usually made similarly across vintners.

If you do decide to try a varietal, or even on the blends, look for words like semi-dry, or semi-sweet. That will get you closer to the middle between the extremes.

Save    
dandyrandylou

rgreen48, I shall go to Wegman's asap and follow your kind instructions to the letter. Many thanks.

Save    
lindac92

Amazing to me that as people are worrying more and more about the sugar content of their soft drinks, more people are choosing sweet wines like a Moscato, and sweeter mixed drinks like a Cosmo and things made with butterscotch schnapps and whipped cream....guess it's all where you choose to get your sugar....frankly I like mine in pie!! LOL!
many wines are labeled "sweet red table wine"...if you like sherry you might also mike a ruby port or even a marsala.

Save    
rgreen48(7a)

If people ever drank as much sweet wine as they do sweetened soft drinks, then... well... lol

I like all kinds of wine. There are a few I don't care as much for than others, but there are occasions for sweet, dry, and anywhere in between. The trick is to get a working knowledge of how each grape variety or fruit is customarily treated. That is to say... is a certain variety of grape made into a sweet or a dry wine? There are a few grapes and fruits that could go either way, and they give the winemaker more latitude, but consumers are trained to have certain expectations.

I have always encouraged exploration. Start with what you think you would like, and then follow similar taste characteristics down different paths. After a while you may find that your expectations may not be what you imagine.

Save    
Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b(9b)

This is always a good one! Nobody doesn't like it: http://www.menageatroiswines.com/wines/red?ag=1

Save    
dandyrandylou

Since I do not drink sodas or sweet cocktails, feel I'm entitled to a small glass of wine now and then if I so choose. Have tried Menage a Trois but did not care for it. Beginning to think I prefer white wines because reds leave a fuzzy feeling in the mouth. Thanks for all suggestions.

Save    
Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b(9b)

It's hard to make bad white wine. Most of it is pretty good. Some can have a bitter edge or a smoky flavor. Some are very dry (not sweet) and some are cloyingly sweet. Depends on what you like. I'm not a sweet wine lover. Maybe you should go wine tasting at a local winery and try all their whites.

1 Like Save    
rgreen48(7a)

pink... there are blended white table wines also.

I think Suzi has a good idea. Tasting a small glass of something you may or may not like is much better than buying the whole bottle and not enjoying it.

There are reds that don't leave that 'fuzzy feeling', but since taste is so subjective it can be difficult to say that there is a specific wine that you might enjoy.

The other thing when first trying wines you may like, is to remember that each winery usually makes a number of wines. Of course its possible that their products aren't the best, but usually a brand will make wines for all tastes.

Unless I'm pairing for a meal, instead of sweetness/dryness, I look for flavor characteristics. Sometimes it's wonderfully surprising how a fruity flavor in a red or a white will make the dryness much less noticeable. The same idea goes for sweets.

If the acids and tannins in the wine are balanced well, then unless it's at the very extreme, the mouth-feel will not be as pronounced.

As a white wine, unless the winery leans heavily toward the sweet, I find a nice pinot grigio, or pinot gris to be a good white summertime wine.

But the tasting idea is a winner. That way, anytime you go into a wine store, you can ask for something that is similar to....

Save    
jrb451

Try to find a wine appreciation class conducted by an adult education cooperative or attend a wine tasting hosted by a package store. Have some wine drinking friends? Get them together for a pot luck and wine tasting. Have them each bring a bottle of wine that they've not had before for sampling. Many local organizations hold wine tastings for fund raising. All of these are good ways to sample a variety of different wines without committing to buying an entire bottle.

Save    
dandyrandylou

Thanks to all for suggestions - which I shall follow. Cheers!

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Your First House My Houzz: Online Finds Help Outfit This Couple’s First Home
East Vancouver homeowners turn to Craigslist to update their 1960s bungalow
Full Story
Additions Owners Find Their Bliss in a Wine Country Ranch House
Going from cramped and dark to open and bright, a California home lands 600 extra square feet and a gorgeous new outdoor living room
Full Story
Patios 10 Ways to Enjoy Your Outdoor Room More
Step up the comfiness and convenience of your porch, patio or yard to make time spent outdoors even better
Full Story
Longhouse Architects, established in 2019, is a firm of three licensed architects, each with over 15 years of... Read More
Pond Roofing Company is a family-owned and operated business serving Northern Virginia residents for nearly 50... Read More