SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ldpanaro

Is 48" Wolf Dual Fuel overkill for me?

Lauren P
8 years ago

We are building a new home and I am lost daydreaming about appliances. The kitchen is the showpiece of the house, as that's where I spend all my time. I am a young cook (26) but I cook a lot, everything from scratch and traditional Italian style. I have cooked occasionally on a gas range and haven't had the greatest success but I'm sure I just need practice. I cook lots of braised meats, fresh pasta, baked bread and desserts. I often wish for more than 4 burners while preparing a meal for just the 3 of us. I have a toddler and hope to have a large family. We don't entertain a ton but will for holidays. I like that both ovens are within one unit, it works perfectly in the layout we have designed so I'd prefer to stay away from 2 wall ovens.

My husband said choose whatever I think we need for the kitchen. Well, I can't say we NEED a $20,000 range but I sure would love one. It is possible within our budget. I just don't know if its overkill and another smaller/cheaper model would suffice. I am also concerned about safety with little kids in the house, as they will be underfoot. So, questions:

1. Is there any possibility of burns from the closed front of the unit?

2. Are the 2 oven sizes practical for daily use? (I'm not roasting a turkey every day)

3. Am I actually going to be able to simmer on the gas burners?

4. Is the oven heat on both sides even and consistent for baking?

5. Is it a huge waste of fuel and heat? Am I going to be sweating all the time and paying a giant fuel/power bill?

6. What about induction? I'm comfortable cooking on an electric stove I just need more space for the big pasta/soup pots, etc.

7. Open to all suggestions. We are considering this a lifetime investment as we are planning for this to be our "forever" house.

Comments (27)