Sunrise windows yay or nay?

jacissa
Anyone recommend for or against them and why? Which line or model specifically? Thanks.
SaveComment16Like
Comments (16)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lefty47

HI -- I have no idea what you mean by the term sunrise windows ????.... explanation please !!!

Save    
Melissa E
Those semi-circle or half moon windows? I do not like them at all, I think they are dated. It's probably a personal preference- either you like them or you don't.
2 Likes Save    
ninigret

no i googled, i think its a brand of windows. sorry, i'm not familiar with them.

Save    
jacissa

Yes it's a brand.

Save    
Robin Lanning

I too am looking at Sunrise Restorations windows. I have looked at them all. Pella, Anderson, Marvin, Alside, Plygym, Zen windows, Okna, Window World,Rosotti,Provina, just to name a few. You get what you pay for and I want windows that will last a lifetime. So Marvin, Pella, and Anderson are out and for over $33,000-$39,000 for 25 windows and staining them myself forget it. I think I will go with Sunrise Restorations. Less than $22,000 (with one window being 1/2 round) and lifetime warranty. The dealer in the Columbus, Ohio area offers lifetime warranty on labor too. They are definitely a quality window. I like their looks and features. Yes they are not wood, but the wood veneer look isn't bad and I am a detail person. How much window sash do you really see anyway?

1 Like Save    
PRO
Elton Correia
I've installed there windows before, and it's like everything else. you get what you pay for. If you go with there low end line the hardware and materials are cheap, and you'll have to replace the windows within 10 years. Anything else above their low end line is very good and it lasts. Easy installs and beautiful finishes.
1 Like Save    
kaitlin_strunk

Elton...by low end line do you mean the Sunrise Essentials? I am looking at the basic Sunrise with some upgraded features (ultru u plus 12 glass system, sash reinforcements, interior low e). jacissa...did you end up purchasing Sunrise?

1 Like Save    
Robin Lanning

I can tell you now from what I have dealt with using installers here in the Columbus, Ohio, area, I am sorry that I found Sunrise windows. The windows themselves are beautiful, it is the installers I have a problem with. Any Tom, Dick or Harry can call themselves a window installer. Now because my windows were not installed correctly, I have terrible condensation where the double hung sashes meet and cold air. The sashes do not fit tightly into the window frames and you can see daylight between the sashes and the frame on several of them. The windows were not even installed standing in the pockets upright on many of the windows. I am waiting for Sunrise's factory representative to attest to the integrity of the installing company. I guess I will see what happens. This could be an almost $22,000 mistake. I recommend people watch their window installers carefully. Make sure the windows are shimmed in the top, middle, and bottom of the window's sides, besides underneath the window itself. Watch so you have no doubt that insulation was used around every window( I am not sure all of ours were). Sunrise also told me that they do not require their retail installing companies to be trained on how to install their windows. These installing companies charge a lot to install the window and then a small portion goes to the actual installer and time is money!!

2 Likes Save    
jacissa

Yes we did.

1 Like Save    
kaitlin_strunk

So sorry Robin Lanning. Jacissa - Did everything work out well with the Sunrise windows for you? Are you happy with your purchase?

1 Like Save    
jacissa

Yes. We ended up going with some Sunrise Vanguard Windows. Love them so far. We can notice a big difference in the amount of cold we can feel coming through the glass. Really can't notice the cold so much now. My husband who is a contractor did the install so we have no issues there.

1 Like Save    
kaitlin_strunk

Good to hear. :)

1 Like Save    
seosmp

Late to the party here, but I’m looking at Sunrise and the window guy told me that Vanguard is really the same window but with some fixed upgraded options. Is that correct? And I could get those same options in the base Sunrise line (not Essentials).

Will I regret not having wood interior?

Thanks!

Save    
D G

I have a contractor coming in today who said the same thing. That the basic line of Sunrise (for this area - Northern Virginia) is totally fine. The upgrades to the Vanguard are more structural and are not necessary for our sized installation which is a 10' bay window. If I dont need the insulation then I dont need it so why waste the money? I hope he's right. I would love input on this as well.

1 Like Save    
moonmtn83

I’m looking at Sunrise right now to replace 4 double hungs With a picture window and a double hung on each side, plus 2 quarter rounds. I’m in the Annapolis, Maryland area. I would love suggestions/opinions about Sunrise or any other brand. Simonton reflections has been presented to me a lot as well, but something doesn’t feel right with those.

Save    
Keith Fillinger

Moonmtn83, I have installed the basic Sunrise window (step above base Essentials line) in my house. I opted for triple pane windows, oak interior, and extra insulation in frames. I believe that model can be ordered with all options in Restorations line if one cannot get those. All of my windows are lift out sliders and double hung units.

Anyway, I live in Wisconsin. My windows have seen temperatures from 100F all the way down to -30F. They have been great year round. I also live on a fairly busy street, and they cut road noise substantially. They also look sharp with the wood grain interior. Just make sure the contractor you choose is good. A good product can be ruined by a bad installation.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Bedrooms Ideabook 911: Desks in the Bedroom — Yea or Nay?
Does a Desk Belong in Your Sleeping Quarters? 14 Reasons to Say Yes
Full Story
Kitchen Design Kitchen of the Week: Brick, Wood and Clean White Lines
A family kitchen retains its original brick but adds an eat-in area and bright new cabinets
Full Story
Decorating Guides Knot Again! Macrame Is Back
It's happened. A craft that typified 1970s style (the owls, the spider plants!) is back, but better
Full Story