SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sha_khan

need help designing my living room and kitchen

Shabbir Khan
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

we bought a new condo in Boston and have no idea where to start. Assuming the couch is the only thing that needs to stay, I'd appreciate any ideas for the following:

1. layout

2. window treatments

3. wall paint colors

4. floating wall with fireplace

5. need a place to mount tv (not sure about current location v. above fireplace).

6. kitchen is too white - needs color.

The floor plan 3-d rendering is not accurate but gives a good sense.

things we'd like:

1. house plant

2. mounting the tv (but don't know where and what to do with the cable box)

3. artwork

4. backsplash recommendations for kitchen

5.COLOR COLOR COLOR

6. a rug (this will go to the second bedroom)

Comments (28)

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    8 years ago

Can you provide a simple floor plan & dimensions so the recommendations can be a bit more on point? BTW congrats, looks like a great place!

One location to add color in the kitchen area would be the area under the cabinets, however, I think for such a spectacular apartment, I'd add color to accessories and art and still keep your architectural elements in textures & colors more neutral. Do you find any of these mosaic tile selections interesting? Tiles are available in stainless steel, glass, & stone.

• Shabbir Khan
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    see attached. hopefully it is clear.
  • Related Discussions

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    8 years ago

Shabbir Khan thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • Shabbir Khan
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Beverly, the fireplace cannot be moved down :(

the other side of the wall has closets. however, since the fireplace doesn;t seem like it can be moved, i wonder if a nice fiery orange piece of wall art would look good above the fireplace. instead. one option would be to perhaps mount the tv on the wall where it is currently located? if we do that, how can we design the rest of the room . also, if we are stuck with the couch u see (RH regency luxe) - could you include the couch in the design.

• Shabbir Khan
    Original Author
    8 years ago

btw thank you so much

• Shabbir Khan
    Original Author
    8 years ago

the silver chevron design backsplash looks good.

would painting the walls be a good idea (maybe a grey)

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    8 years ago

Your condo is quite contemporary............not that you can't combine traditional furniture with a contemporary envelope, but it wouldn't be the direction I would approach your interiors. The photos below are from the HG Dream Home Urban Oasis Boston that might be an example of a direction you could consider. Dusty Taupe/Grey wall paint & note how they handled the fireplace & the flat screen TV

• Shabbir Khan
    Original Author
    8 years ago

any solutions to get rid of the couch without taking too much of a hit?

• Shabbir Khan
    Original Author
    8 years ago

i like the photos you provided but because our cabinets are white, wont choosing a dark color look a tad awkward. are you local :)

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    8 years ago

The taupe will make your cabinets prominent in the space. I am in Florida. Craigslist is always an option. Do you have a den the sofa might be relocated to?

• PRO
    User
    8 years ago

A sectional like this one from Room and Board would look great: http://www.roomandboard.com/catalog/living/sectionals/reese-sectionals

I would keep the same orientation you have now. You can wall mount the tv, and put a console below for cable/wifi stuff.

If you add a backsplash, I would keep it simple. There are lots of great textured white tiles out there. I think where you can add color is accessories, art and lighting.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    8 years ago

alternate layout with some items

Leather Taupe Sofa from IKEA

• lascatx
    8 years ago

The one thing you said you planned to keep was the sofa and no one has addressed it. I like the style and I could see it going more to the steam punk/ eclectic industrial side of contemporary or contemporary mix What apears to be the biggest problem to me is that you have the extra deep version and it may be proportioned wrong for the space. But you have it and like it. If you want to try it, I would start with your other elements and see if you can soften the look of the big dark sofa in a sea of white. Start wit the paint. It can transform a room and let you see where to go from there.

Taupe/grey was my first choice too. Look at Bev's photos -- all those tones look great with white. Look at the RH photos of the sofa -- background color is right up that alley too. Plus, you have nearly two walls of windows and not a lot of wall space. The walls NEED some color. I could also see the walls in a grey blue -- maybe some other color too, but I'd want to know if the fireplace wall is a paintable surface. Is it drywall or am I seeing a reflection off someting sniner?

Wall color would be m starting point, but before addressing furniture more, how do you want to use the space? Is this for a coule, no kids? How much seating do you want for guests? How often? Do you plan on the island being your only dining space or do you need another option? Do you need a comfy reding chair? Coffee/conversation spot? Looks like you might benefit from some multi-tasking options. What do you think?

Shabbir Khan thanked lascatx
  • Shabbir Khan
    Original Author
    8 years ago

couple - no kids. no need for extra dining (will use counter space) and if need be, then get a small counter height dining table that fits in the area adjacent the island near the kitchen.

We were thinking the couch and then 2 other chairs (armchairs perhaps).

we do not have guests over - very rarely.

firewall surface is paintable - just drywall.

no need for comfy reading chair or coffee conversation spot but woudn't mind either.

the kitchen cabinets and island are WHITE GLOSSY FINISH. i'm struggling to envision a blend of that with steampunk if possible.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    8 years ago

Here's an inspiration board to start. You should start by selecting a rug to set the color and style for your room.

• Shabbir Khan
    Original Author
    8 years ago

is it possible to have a more "nature driven" lounge with a ultra contemporary kitchen with our floor plan.

for the lounge, we have the RH couch as shown - if we couple that with a plant or two, a nice cowhide rug accent piece that sits on top of a white/cream larger rug... need some creative ideas on a coffee table.

also, can the tv be offcentered from the rest of the living space?

• Shabbir Khan
    Original Author
    8 years ago

anyone have any different ideas :) desperate for help

• lascatx
    8 years ago

Steam punk is not what I really meant, but I have a vision of a rustic contemprary that I can't find the right words for. I was thinking of a particular piece I saw a while back and probably took you off in the wrong direction. Sorry.

I asked the questions because I think you have to consider function as well as form. I would feel the need for a table that could seat at least 4 people on occassion. Otherwise, you can't invite even one couple over for dinner without hand balancing the plates, leaning over the coffee table or sitting on the floor around the coffee table. That limits your menus as well. So -- options could include a convertible coffee table, a console table that opens to a diing table, a bistro table for coffee and the morning paper/messages check -- but something that could seat four on occassion. If you chose a console table, it might be something that catches your keys and mail by the entry door, could sit under the TV mounted on the wall, go under the foreplace (reverse mantel?) or possibly in another spot. A bistro or pub table could go in the corner and enjoy the views I imagine outside all those windows. Depends on your other choices.

The TV can be off center, but I would like it to be at least roughly centered with at leat some of the seating for your comfort when viewing. That and not having the smallish fireplace the distance would make me think about moving the seating to the left side of the room as you have it drawn (closest to the fireplace). It would be much like Beverly's Sunday 9:44 plan but taking away the chair nearest the fireplace and sliding everything to the right. In the corner at the upper left, I'd really want to see a couple of chairs and a table if you have the room. It could be an accent table for conversation/coffee, a small dining table or a (counter height?) bistro/pub table. Something like this one. Here are some other choices -- saw one in person tonught and really liked it. I tried to take Bev's drawing and modify it to show what I am picturing, but it may not be to scale -- just an idea. I would have four stools that can go at the table when wanted. Maybe have two (or all four) that are backless and push under the back side of the table when not needed

If you like the cowhide rug, work with that idea. It would go mainly under the coffee table and not cover the entire area. If you like the layered rug look, you could put the cowhide over a larger sislal or textural rug. Find one or two chairs you like and that are comfortable. I was looking for something in a lower back swivel and didn't find what I was looking for today. I found the general shape, but the only swivel version I found was over $3000 each and brown leather, but here is one in the general shape I'd look at-- and another -- and one morewithout arms. I still like the taupey grey for the walls and would consider the fireplace wall in a darker shade. And the backsplash you like works with that and would be versatile down the road.

I can't tell if you have enough room to put the sofa facing the the fireplace and chair(s) on the side(s), but that is another arrangement you could try. The TV would than need to go over the fireplace unless you have comfy chairs or recliners facing it on the wall. I'm not sure if the TV would be too high there, especially if the sofa is far enough back to reduce the angle. Try taping the outline of your TV above the firplace and try looking at it for a while to see if you feel strain on your neck.

Hope that gives you some other ideas and somewhere in all of these ideas something will start clicking for you.

Shabbir Khan thanked lascatx
  • Shabbir Khan
    Original Author
    8 years ago

would two of these accent chairs go well with my regency luxe sofa.

chair

Or should I go with something more contemporary as the house is quite modern?

Also, would curtains work or do I need to with solar shades/blinds

• Shabbir Khan
    Original Author
    8 years ago

is there any free software available for me to model my house, choose paint colors, etc. can i then share that model with people in this forum for additional ideas. how can that work?

• Shabbir Khan
    Original Author
    8 years ago

and can someone pls find me a rug similar to the Milson lines rug. i dont want to pay that much money. and i want it to be 10x14 ish

• louislinus
    8 years ago

Here's my take and the thing that has always worked best for me. Find one thing that you LOVE, like LOVE LOVE LOVE, and use that as your jumping off point. It could be a piece of art, rug, drapes, even a throw pillow. Just find one thing and go from there. For example, in my dining room I found these amazing drapery panels and built the room around them. In my living room I have my grandmothers MCM gold velvet sectional and picked paint and every other thing to work with it. So search Pinterest, go to Marshalls etc and look for your one thing. It will be so much easier.

• lascatx
    8 years ago

I don't really know how to help you. The only thing you have really told us is that you didn't like it when I said steam punk -- which was a mistake on my part. I was tired and grabbing at straws for an old/new mix and that wasn't it. I said so, but you have ignored my input and now aren't responding to Beverly either. Beverly gives good advice but I'm not getting the feeling that it's going in the direction you want -- at least not all of it, but you aren't commenting on what you like and don't like. Doesn't matter if you like or don't like the suggestions -- you have to give your input to give them direction. We don't know what you have liked, what you may have added or done -- it's like picking straws in the dark.

I thought you could use an armless chair, but they might not be as comfortable for sitting in for TV watching, reading or even conversation for a length of time. Your sofa has such large high arms that you don't want to match them or it will be all arms in a small room. If you do go with arms, you want to make sure they don't add up to overwhelming. Beverly was going with more restrained arm choices in more traditional styles (Of those, I like the upper right and lower left or 3 and 4 as more transitional choices and lighter arms). Have you picked something?

As for your rug, going to a 10x14 is going to limit your choices and drive up the price. You may find that 8x10 or 9x11-12 is your largest option in a number of rugs. If you want less expensive options, I suggest Home Goods if you have one and Overstock as starting points. I bought one of my rugs from Pottery Barn and learned from my store's manager that they may have clearance items not displayed. If you go in and tell them what you are looking for (color and size), they can help you look and might come up with a surprise from the back. Takes a little hunting.

The rug you like is pretty -- and not a bad price for such a large rug. When you get into the larger sizes, each step up in size is going to have a larger increase in price simply because the are of the rug increases so much and, when you get to the largest ones, there are not as many of them made. Try to forget that particular rug and just keep the general color and feel you have in mind and keep looking. Overstock has a number of rugs that come up in a 10x14 cream search.

This one will give you a similar color with a smooth texture

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Safavieh-Vintage-Light-Grey-Ivory-Rug-10-x-14/9942299/product.html?refccid=BFFR2PQ7N5IK2VCINBGXPNCMMI&searchidx=27

This one has the color but goes to the opposite extreme in texture (you say no kids or pets?)

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Safavieh-Silken-Ivory-Shag-Rug-10-x-14/7554753/product.html?refccid=BFFR2PQ7N5IK2VCINBGXPNCMMI&searchidx=32

fluffy but more carpet and less wild (they have several variations on this theme)

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Safavieh-Milan-Shag-Ivory-Rug-10-x-14/9156576/product.html?refccid=BFFR2PQ7N5IK2VCINBGXPNCMMI&searchidx=40

Something with a little more design (verify the size -- it isn't showing up)

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Safavieh-Ultimate-Cream-Beige-Shag-R/6673457/product.html?refccid=BFFR2PQ7N5IK2VCINBGXPNCMMI&searchidx=9

Something more traditional and a bit aged looking for the idea of contrasts

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Safavieh-Vintage-Cream-Rug-10-x-14/9942321/product.html?refccid=46XQXUAHXSRIT6SKINUAUUJ4CY&searchidx=80

Something totally different that might play well with the stainless in your kitchen, especially if you add a backsplash

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Hand-tufted-Contemporary-Geometric-Grey-Rug-96-x-136/8177540/product.html?refccid=PPJDUZQP52NJN4COCC54FIYDXQ&searchidx=137

More traditional

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Hand-tufted-Contemporary-Geometric-Grey-Rug-96-x-136/8177540/product.html?refccid=PPJDUZQP52NJN4COCC54FIYDXQ&searchidx=137

And there are a lot more -- the idea is to look for options and then edit to what you like best, then edit again to get the ones that work together best to coexist in your space and create your look. The more you tell us, the more we can help you with the editing.

• Shabbir Khan
    Original Author
    8 years ago

hey everyone, i have made very little progress over the past 6 months ;( as i am unable to pull the trigger on many decisions. here are more recent images of items we have bought recently.

rug Loloi Rugs Armand RugQTY: 1

Size: 9'2" x 12'7"

miles coffee table from joss and main

• Shabbir Khan
    Original Author
    8 years ago

can i put the tv over the fireplace and get rid of the entertainment center entirely? will it look good. i called a tv expert and he said get a mantle over the fireplace to protect the tv.

any recommendations on paint colors and a type of mantel

• Shabbir Khan
    Original Author
    8 years ago