SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_24200779

Mauve and purple shrub roses (again)

9 years ago

Hideous heat wave here in Tuscany, and no hopeful forecast; all you can do is hide in the house . I'm so hot and bored,so what to do but plan for fall. I want to add some shrub roses ,and being a fiend for mauves and purples and violets,I'm of course considering some of these. Here's a few from FilRoses and Belle Epoque catalogues: Chartreuse de Parme,Lavande Parfumeé,Midnight Blue,Minerva,Mysterieuse,Poseidon,Old Port,Odyssey,Purple Lodge,Purple Eden,Blue Eden,Burgundy Ice,Magenta, Shocking Blue. Anyone familiar with these? I seem to remember Poseidon being discussed on this forum,and favourably, too,but the others? I'm interested in hearing about growth habits just as much as flower quality/quantity,general vigour, disease-and-heat resistance. For example, I think that Chartreuse de Parme is an HT,and I have this idea-wrong, perhaps-that therefore it's habit is, perforce, upright and rigid,which I find clumsy; therefore I could eliminate that from my list.Pacific Dream and Eyes for You are already sort of decided upon. So, people, pros and cons on any and all of these roses?

Comments (105)