SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bunnyemerald

Entry door - amount of glass

Bunny
8 years ago

In my last post about entry doors, I said it would be my last. I spoke too soon. :) I suppose I could tack this onto a previous one, but I like threads that are about one thing.

I'm going to get a new entry door and wooden screen door, no glass, just screen, in place year-round, i.e., always in front of the entry door.

My plan is to get a 2/3-3/4 lite door with clear glass. I want my door to also be a window. Until recently I planned on an undivided piece of glass. As I scour neighborhoods looking at doors, I'm drawn to divided lites.

Now I turn to you for opinions and insight. The following examples are an original and 2 hastily done photoshops. Although the door in the photos are green, both of my doors will start out white, the color of my house trim. In the future that could change, but I'm starting out simple.

1 - Full divided lite (represents what the screen door will look like)

2 - 3/4 divided lite

3 - 3/4 undivided lite

Comments (41)

• sas95
    8 years ago

I like the first one.

Bunny thanked sas95
  • Bunny
    Original Author
    8 years ago

sas, I do too. Since it's the original photo it looks better anyway. :) I hadn't been thinking of full glass, and am just now wrapping my head around it.

I did see some half lite undivided yesterday and they reminded me slightly of a lawyer's front door.

• Related Discussions

Entrance door double vs single with glass on the sides?

Q

Comments (13)
    Practical issue with double doors that caused us to do a single door in our project: One leverset is a dummy. We found that with the dummy lever we had on our last house that people would not know which one was the operating door and accidentally bend the lever down even though it was "fixed". It would move a bit though and so I constantly had to be resetting the lever back to the horizontal position. We opted for a single wide (42") front door in our current project. This should be plenty wide enough for even chunky pieces of furniture.
    ...See More

beveled glass entry door inserts

Q

Comments (2)
    If your door has glass in it now, you can put in replacement glass yourself. The insert is held in with molding attached with screws. Here's a how to I found. We considered doing something similar, but our door is already half glass. I found insulated replacement leaded glass inserts at the big box store but it was fairly pricey (about the same cost as a new door) so we decided to make a wood grille instead. I found a blog where someone had a full glass insert put into their whole wood door for under $100. I'm thinking the $100 was just labor and they didn't divulge the cost of the glass. When I called a glass shop, just replacing it with the same clear insulated glass we have now was over $150 for the cost of the glass without installation. I don't have a habitat store or a salvage store near me and didn't check any surplus stores.
    ...See More

Front entrance door glass problem

Q

Comments (5)
    It could also be that the gas in between glass panes (used for heat insulation purposes) has/is leaking. Solutions are to replace door or live with the foggy look. I've never heard of a service that replaces the glass portion of door but being that it would take deconstruction and rebuilding door, it's probably as expensive as getting a new door. FWIW, such leaks are a fact of life and not necessarily that you had a "cheap" door. But a bummer nonetheless, especially since it is front door. if the glass insert is a single piece of glass, pls disregard the gas leak possibility. but getting a new glass insert will not be cheap but def. cheaper than new door.
    ...See More

Ugly etched glass entry door

Q

Comments (11)
    Andrea, what did you end up doing? I currently have the ugliest oval glass in my door. I think the ugly etched, or sand blasted (no idea WHAT it is, other than hideous.) design is supposed to be flowers (Looks more like 5 headed monster aliens though.) Ive sprayed that privacy coating on both inside and outside. Didn’t hide the alien. Today I added film over the spray. Still have aliens lol!
    ...See More
  • Bunny
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Beverly, yes the screen door has to be wood because I love the look. I don't want metal or a storm door with glass and I don't want full screen either. I love the look of wooden screen doors.

• Bunny
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

The 3 examples I posted above are not my house. Here's my house with the three possibilities but not showing the screen door in front. Door and screen will both be white. Too much divided glass across the front of my small facade?

#1b

#2b

#3b

• pugga
    8 years ago

I still like #1 best.

Bunny thanked pugga
  • cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    8 years ago

#1.

Bunny thanked cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
  • Gracie
    8 years ago

Is the first one considered a 3/4 lite? I like that the best. But it could get a little busy because you already have three sets of divided windows. Could you divide it into four lites like this one?

Classic Contemporary · More Info

Bunny thanked Gracie
  • Bunny
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks all for the votes. #1 seems to be a clear favorite.

May_flowers, #1 is considered full lite, and #2 and #3 are 3/4 lites. The divided lights come in lots of configurations, but I don't really care for a full lite divided into a total of 4 panes. If #1 is too busy (and I see that's a possibility) then I would probably opt for #2 which would have the solid bottom.

I actually lean towards #2. I kinda like that little modesty panel at the bottom. Can't explain why.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    8 years ago

I think #1 looks best with your wooden screen door which is why I chose it. I think the horizontal dividing bar on the screen door does not work well with the other doors you show.

Bunny thanked cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
  • Bunny
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Cyn, I agree with you. It's a bit difficult trying to figure this out without having either door. I really want to do this all at once, i.e., not get the main door and then shop around for a screen door. I've only found two places in my area that sell decent quality screen doors, neither one being HD or Lowe's. I've found some nice ones online, more costly, but also a bit of a crapshoot as to how they'd look on whatever door I choose.

I can't be without a screen door. Settling on the entry door itself is the more lasting proposition. I need to like it a lot. The screen door could change if it ends up not looking that good. Ones I've considered have more cross pieces in the lower region. It's one of the reasons that 3/4 lite appeals to me.

Right now I have a busy screen door. I was shocked when so many of my friends told me they love it, as it's gotten pretty ratty.

This is when too many options aren't a lot of fun.

• User
    8 years ago

I like the last option, the 3/4 undivided light. The others, especially #1, are just too much between the divided light windows on either side. The single light in this case looks the more "vintage" option, which IMO is also a plus.

Bunny thanked User
  • User
    8 years ago

I lean towards #2 as well. I don't have an analytical reasoning except that 2 may look better painted later on) but as you know from the example I showed you a while back, I'm partial to 3/4 glass doors. I have to say though, if you're choosing between a full or 3/4 with lites, you really can't go wrong as they both have a very appealing look.

Bunny thanked User
  • Bunny
    Original Author
    8 years ago

kswl, even though there's nothing authentically vintage about my 1991 tract house, "vintage" is what tugs at my heartstrings. I see that divided lite windows on either side make for a lot of criss-crosses on a small façade. By itself, I like Door #2 the best, but it will have company and I mustn't lose sight of that.

lukki, I like the overall look of 3/4 glass as well. The solid bottom gives it some weight and purpose. Down the road I may paint either or both something other than white. I'm taking the safe, albeit boring, path for starters.

• Bunny
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I now think Door #3b actually provides some visual relief from all the divided glass on either side. Sometimes we actually return to our starting point. :)

• Olychick
    8 years ago

Just to humor some of us, could you show a full glass, single lite door. I know you like the "privacy panel" but maybe we could convince you otherwise. Do you like to keep people from seeing your feet? :-) I think a full single lite with the cross piece from the screen door would look best.

If you must go with more lites, I love the one mayflowers posted

Bunny thanked Olychick
  • jlc712
    8 years ago

I like 2b. But not with the screen door on top. If you're getting a screen door with a dividing bar, I think you need a full length single light door.

If you can get a full screen door without divider (that's what I have, but they're steel), you could do any of the three doors.

Bunny thanked jlc712
  • Bunny
    Original Author
    8 years ago

For Olychick. I have no problem with people seeing my feet. :p

You've actually hit on the main issue. Which door assumes visual interest? The screen door will always be in place, but the entry door will be open whenever the weather's mild enough.

jlc: I don't want a screen door without any divider at all, i.e., similar to a full-lite glass door. So, there will be a screen door that actually says, "Welcome, I'm the screen door!" I realize that not everyone is enamored with that look, but I love it. I'm also drawn to screen doors with fir trees and egrets at the bottom, but I'm not going there with this version.

• Olychick
    8 years ago

Ok, I vote for this one :)

Bunny thanked Olychick
  • Bunny
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Oly, I knew you'd say that! :)

I've pulled divided lights of any shape or number off the table. Full glass, I just don't know. Remember I need a window covering for privacy at night and when it's 90+ degrees outside. Full length is less appealing to me than 3/4. Actually the 3/4 lite I'm considering is actually 2/3, which is fine, more light than I currently have via my screen door.

• Olychick
    8 years ago

can you do your fave choices showing the cross bar to represent the screen door? Then you could see how that affects the looks of the ones you like best.

Bunny thanked Olychick
  • Bunny
    Original Author
    8 years ago

The doors 1-4b were created via the test drive app on the Simpson site, which is infinitely easier to use than the Therma-tru app. The photos I posted here are screen shots, so I didn't have the benefit of putting them on a separate layer in Photoshop and retaining the shadows or any realism. Also, they show as having opaque glass which kinda takes the life out of them. Also, the doors will all be white. I'll try the artwork tomorrow. I'll have to resize the actual screen door (below) so that I can get an idea of where the cross bar will be.

This is the screen door from the backside. I wanted to capture the detail of the removable screen. The other screen I was considering has a stapled in screen that doesn't even have a spline channel, so it's off the table too.

• Bunny
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I figured out where the cross bar is vertically on the screen door and pretty much where to show it on the photos with the Simpson doors.

The door and the screen door will be painted the same color as my house trim (Swiss Coffee). That could change when the house gets repainted but it's not happening this year or for this phase of the project.

In these photos the door is still represented as a wood color, but it will be the same color as the cross piece. I spent waaaay too much time trying to get it all photo-realistic and failed, so you all will have to use your imaginations.

#4 - The screen door would basically overlay the entry door, plus the cross piece.

#3 - The brown part peeking through would be white. However the screen material will darken that square of door. In essence the only problem I see is the little gap between the screen's cross bar and the top of the bottom panel. I don't really consider that a deal-breaker.

Edited to add: I redid my calculations and I think the top of the 3/4 door panel will just about align with the bottom of the screen door's cross piece, give or take an inch.

• Olychick
    8 years ago

Well, it didn't change my mind, even though it doesn't look as it would if all were white. But it's not my house! When the front door is open, it will also look exactly like #4. I like the cleaner, less complicated look on the door, paired with the lites on the windows. But either will look wonderful and I'm sure you'll love having all that extra "looking out" area.

Bunny thanked Olychick
  • Bunny
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks for hanging in with me, Oly!! I get what you're saying, and #4 certainly is less complicated. On its own I think I prefer the proportions of #3 and how it will look from inside, something I've tended to overlook.

Plus, what if people can see my feet?!! :p

• User
    8 years ago

If it were me I'd get the entry door I Iiked best and have someone make the screen door.

Bunny thanked User
  • Bunny
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Cindy, I think you've kind of hit it on the head. I need to like the entry door on its own.

The cost of screen doors was an eye-opener for me. Sure wish I had a Norm Abrams in my life. :)

• User
    8 years ago

Have you contacted anyone locally to price custom screen doors? Doesn't have to be a Norm Abrams. A screen door is pretty basic.

Do you by any chance have a NextDoor site in your area? Ours has been a wonderful resource for recommendations and just general info.

NextDoor social network

Bunny thanked User
  • Bunny
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hey, thanks for the NextDoor tip!!! I just downloaded the app and joined. I see my next-door neighbor (best neighbor ever!!!) is already a member.

I did call a local door maker to see if they had screen doors. They said they can make them but first to check them out at a local lumber yard for a less costly option. The door was nice but not the one I selected. It was $325 discounted. So, where I live, one needs to pay up for a decent screen door.

• gramarows
    8 years ago

Hi Linelle! My former breezeway's front and back doors in, they both are full lite, no dividers, with mini-blinds in side the glass. Wow - I love them! The door in the front will have two new casement windows to the right which I intend to have divided lights to match the living room's bow window on the left. I didn't want divided light overload, and divided lites on the door wouldn't have aligned. I really like the cleaner lines. I surprised myself in that I fully intended to keep the ranch's circle-windows original wood main front door to the living room, but now that the other clean-lined doors are in, I want to repeat the same look with the exact same full-lite door with blinds. I've decided to go with full-lite storms; there is one already on the main front door, so it will make sense for me to match the new ones. Good luck on your quest!!!

Bunny thanked gramarows
  • Bunny
    Original Author
    8 years ago

gramarows, thanks so much for telling me about your doors. I love that you like the full lite, no dividers. I don't think mini-blinds will work for me. Well, they would work, but I don't think it's the look I'm after.

It's funny to me that I rarely view my house from the front. I experience it from inside. So it was interesting when I got feedback from friends who love my funky (it's going) screen door.

• gramarows
    8 years ago

Your screen door IS unique! Hopefully someone will want it or you could donate it to a re-store type store or sell on craigslist. I'll bet it would sell fast! I initially did not consider the full-lite as I am anything but contemporary, LOL! But the front of the house faces west and the sun/heat can be brutal, so full blinds seemed a good idea. A plus is that when tilted open, the blinds nearly disappear, and can also raise up to go away. Additionally, I'll bet the sun streaming in a full view in the fall or spring will be nice. And the cats will love it! Anyway, not trying to influence you, just happy that I finally figured out what I want!

• Bunny
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hey gram, I'd love to see your door if you'd care to post a photo (hint, hint).

Up close, my screen door is crap, no other way of putting it. I see quite a few on homes in my town so they must have been selling them locally at some point 20+ years ago. I've never seen them sold since. The wood is splitting at all the joints. It's a low-end door that looks kinda cute at a distance but is falling apart. Maybe I'll do a free CL if someone will just take it away.

My house also faces west but there are only 7-10 days a year when I have to close my door against the heat, never the sun itself. The built-in blinds you got sound like they work great for you.

I passed a 3/4 lite door today (no screen) and it looked so good.

I think my cats are hoping I get a full lite so they don't have to stand on their hind paws to see out. They are a vocal full-lite lobby.

• Boopadaboo
    8 years ago

This is mine. Someone was doing a mock up of the red siding for me but the door is the one I have now. I LOVE the light on the inside during the day, and yes my cats loved it. My screen door is the kind that is a storm or screen door - you change it out.

outside view

on the inside.....

inside

and with the curtains I use at night

http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd344/Boopsnewhouse/foyerandhall/DSC07551_zps95f108c1.jpg

I cant figure out how to put the photos in the message so I have links! Sorry...

Bunny thanked Boopadaboo
  • Bunny
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Boop, that's a beautiful door!!! And look at all the light coming in. LIGHT!!!

I really love the look of full divided lites. It's been suggested I already have enough divided lites on my windows for my much smaller facade without including them in the door. I don't look at yours and think "too many." :)

• Boopadaboo
    8 years ago

too me it looks funny to not do divided on yours. I dont know if that makes sense, but having the door be the same as the windows on your house looks like it "goes" as opposed to the other ones that are not divided. :)

Bunny thanked Boopadaboo
  • Bunny
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Yeah, I know. But what do I know? :) My current screen door also has 9 "lites" up top and I've never thought, whoa, too many squares, what were we thinking?

I love getting input here at GW. I don't always go with the majority opinion, but I appreciate that it forces me to consider my choices from other perspectives. For ex: I like the full glass undivided the least of all, based on nothing I can explain and find it interesting how many favor it. Don't look at my feet!!!

• Olychick
    8 years ago

you know they will see your feet when the door is open and just the screen is there, right?

Bunny thanked Olychick
  • Bunny
    Original Author
    8 years ago

What?!!!!

• Olychick
    8 years ago

You're very funny!

• User
    8 years ago

My cats like to look out the bottom . . .

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County