SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
uscroy

LED lighting in "new construction"

uscpsycho
8 years ago

I am remodeling my home which has almost no overhead lighting so I will be installing cans throughout the house. It's not new construction but from a lighting perspective it is pretty much the same as new construction.

From what I can tell there are two ways to go: 1) Actual LED cans 2) Regular cans with LED retrofit trim kit

You would think the Internet would be loaded with information comparing the two options in great detail but true comparisons are hard to come by. If you have links to any, please share because I couldn't find any. The owner of a local upscale lamp store even had a hard time explaining the pros and cons of each.

From what I can tell the advantage of the retrofit is that you can more easily replace the bulb with whatever new technology might come up in the future. And of course you can use them in existing cans, but this doesn't apply to me because I have no cans and can install whatever type of can I want.

On the other hand, I can't find any advantages of using actual LED cans, but there must be some advantage or nobody would use them/they wouldn't exist. Nothing I've read has suggested that these lights are more efficient, produce better color, provide more coverage or anything of the sort. Even cost is comparable.

So what gives? Even in a new construction why wouldn't you use a standard can with LED retrofit kit every time? What am I missing?

One of the most important things for me is to have a bulb that will not flicker or buzz when dimmed with Lutron RadioRa dimmers. But as far as I know that can be achieved with either type.

Can someone please shed some light on this?

Comments (3)