SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
engrgirl

Which yellow hosta should I plant here?

engrgirl
8 years ago

I've been slowly working on my new yard, and have lucked into some nice free or nearly-free plants from friends and off craigslist, including 40+ ostrich ferns and around 40 matching small dark green hosta that needed to come out when someone lost a tree (actually they were around 10 overgrown ones that I divided). Please be kind with comments on the weeds and the conditions of the plants - - they have been stressed by being moved, it's only half mulched, and there are still so many weeds! and after the 4 ft tall transplanted ferns we flopping I cut them back (but they are putting up nice new fronds now! :-) .

(Also Ken would be "happy" to hear that unfortunately some of the hosta did get a week of driveway treatment since it took me quite a while to divide and plant them all).

I realize the slope may be hard to have things thrive on, but with
most of the plants being free I wanted to try. My other expensive
thought was a retaining wall and hydrangeas which would be MUCH more
expensive! :-)

I'm trying to go for a look that has more repetition rather than a collection of different types. It may be hard to see but in the middle centered under the window and below the ferns, there is slightly curved "smiley face" area roughly a 12ft wide x 4.5 ft that I've left open. I'd like to fill this area with some yellow or chartreuse (or multi-colored) hosta to bring in some bright contrast to the area, and I was thinking something larger than the dark green ones that are already there. I realize I probably won't find these for free/cheap so I'm planning to buy them.

I'm looking for suggestions on what hosta to put there. My thoughts so far have included:

- June - because everyone seems to love them. Maybe 5 of them in a "smiley face" and then bring a few ferns down to fill in the curve?

- Sum and Substance - because the large size would be funky and fun, but would it be too big of texture? 3 of them in a slight "V" shape?

- Sun Power - looks like a hardy yellow/chartreuse with a little bit more of an upright form that could be neat in this area, 5 in a smiley face curve

- Captain Kirk - looks like it could play nicely with the dark green edges, 5 in a smiley face curve

Does anyone have feedback on any of these ideas or other ones I should be considering? In the solstice of summer this area has sun from 12-4pm, but as the sun moves further south that will decrease.

Thank you for any suggestions and opinions you may have to offer! :-)

Comments (27)