SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrblubs22

What's your worst looking plant?

MrBlubs
8 years ago

It's been dull here so I thought I'd start a funnish thread.

We all show of our best plants and our amazing recoveries but what about the plants that aren't so shabby looking? Ones that either always look terrible or you always forget so they look terrible yet still keep going.

For me, it's actually a group of succulents I have.

It has 2 jades, a pony palm, 1 burros tail (I think) and 3 Sempervivum.

The jades I actually got almost 4 years ago as we had an auction In class to raise money so we were suppose to bring in an item. So I went to Homedepot and got a 4" pot of jades to bring. I started to have the feeling that I wanted to keep it and that I didn't want it to go die in some hands of a 7th grader but I couldn't keep it. Me being the clever guy I am was like wait! I'll root some cuttings! So I snipped off 2 stems placed them in a pot then left them in a window to die. This was a time before I got into house plants. Years later it looked like a shrivelled old man who got badly burnt. I have no idea how it's still alive today.

The burros tail was a gift from my friend that I got 2 years after the whole jade ordeal. I'm a bit fuzzy on how it went from 4 to only one but I do remember putting it outside when it was just sticks (it lost all of its leaves) to have the leaves grow back than get completly destroyed by hail. That left me to one lone stem.

The Pony palm used to be in a group with 4 others. It did actually quite good in my house untill last year I decided to put it outside. One of the biggest hail storms came when I was away and totally ripped it apart as well as my schefflera and spider plant. I chopped off all the damaged leaves and was left with a really sad plant. There's pictures of it in my Ideabook. For some reason I decided to ditch 3 of them and only grow the biggest one alone. I still have their bodies on display. 2 are actually still green so I might try an experiment to see if they'll grow roots if I add them back to soil I doubt it but worth a shot .

After I saw purps succulent dish (I think) I wanted to do the same. So I took all the misfits and stuck em in one pot than placed them in my South East window with my Haworthia. They didn't do much for the next while so I decided to add some Sempervivum chicks from my garden into the pot last year and this is where I'm at today. Which is no where close to as good as hers or even pleasing to the eye

It's behind my birdcage so it gets dusty and full of feathers and I always mange to forget it's there and not water it. But it's still going. I'm going to repot it all I think this summer or sometime and add more succulents to make it looks better. Maybe give the pony tail palm its own pot. Not sure yet.

Here it is (after a incredibly long post that wasn't really needed)

Let's see yours! And this is a no judgement zone! :P

Comments (12)