SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tenacity24

Next steps for new Bermuda lawn from seed (West Texas)

tenacity24
8 years ago

Hi all,

I have a new property in Abilene that I recently had hydro-mulched on June 3rd with Improved Princess. Per the landscapers advice I have been watering for 15 minutes at a time, 3 times a day. The grass began germinating at seven days and has been growing well in most parts of the lawn since. I do have a couple of areas (see brown areas in the photo) that have been negatively effected due to poor drainage. These areas become soggy/flooded when I water for extended times or when it rains heavily. Because of this, I cut my watering in half last week and the areas have began to fill in.

I am currently watering for 5 minutes, 4 times a day. I understand that I'm at the point where I need to begin weening my new grass off of water and begin watering once a week with the goal of one inch per week. I am about to go out of town in a couple of weeks and I'm afraid of under watering the areas that haven't filled in yet while I"m gone. Any recommendations on how to proceed with the watering?

I also plan on weeding and fertilizing on Thursday afternoon, but I'm not sure which type to chose. The landscaper recommended an 18-7-10 w/ iron (which I haven't been able to find locally), but I've read of people using 34-0-0 for trying to get Bermuda to fill in. I've read the Bermuda bible, but it doesn't really touch on brand new lawns. Any help is appreciated.

Comments (11)