SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ivan_ferdous

Help: Meyers Lemon

Ivan Ferdous
8 years ago

Hey guys this is my first Meyers Lemon plant. Or rather first time ever owning a Lemon plant and last week I got the Dwarf Washington Navel Orange. I got this on sale for $60 yesterday at a nursery in Long Island. I was wondering should I keep this in this 2 gallon container for now? It has 7 lemons on it already. Should I repot? If so should I remove to bare-root then add potting mix and place it in say a 10-15 gallon container tub for now? Because I will be brining it indoors close to winter as I live in Zone 5 here in NYC (queens). Or should I keep it as is until the winter and add a cap full of osmocote fertilizer? Last question is my fear of loosing the plant just incase.. is there a way I can propagate them? If so how? Also will the plant be baring fruits in a year or so? Or will it be like normal lemon plants that take 4 - 15+ years? Thank you all for your time. I'm just so excited and also nervous about this whole thing.

Comments (30)

• limeinqueens
    8 years ago

Just an FYI, the USDA zone for Queens (and most of Long Island) is 7a. Brooklyn and interior areas of Suffolk county are 6b. There is no place in NYC proper that's in zone 5.

Look at my user name and you'll know how I know ;)

Ivan Ferdous thanked limeinqueens
  • Related Discussions

Please Help! Meyer lemon-leafminer and red mites!

Q

Comments (4)
    Dasha, keep on those darn mites and you'll rid them. The problem is they multiply too da** fast. They're worse than rabbits..LOL. I've never dwelt w/LM's so really can't advise you of this problem..I'd be pi$$ed as can be buying the tree only to find these problems. I don't know much about LM's but of what I read on this forum, there really isn't a way to rid them..Maybe someone has more experience on the LM problem and can help.. If they sell an insecticide for tomoatoes then I'd try using on citrus..But please wait for other opinions before doing so. I know they're contageous to other citrus but I don't know if they go after other tropicals. That's a darned good question. Hope someone has an answer..Toni
    ...See More

HELP! Meyer Lemons turning black

Q

Comments (6)
    Check the P.H And if you have a E.C. meter test for Salts..also was unable to bring Photo up . More infro would help Such as Container grown. Planted outside in soil.Dont be afraid of making a long Post..The more you can tell us the more we will be able to help..Keep your post going..Im interested......
    ...See More

Help! Meyer Lemon tree!

Q

Comments (7)
    You have a really bad case of Scale insects. And it also looks dry, that watering schedule probably was not often enough. But it could all be due to the high volume of Scale there. That's such a bad case I'm not sure I'd even attempt to fix it, especially with so few leaves left. But if you want to try there are a few ways people take care of it. Horticultural oils, Neem oil, and Rubbing alcohol are some of the tools some use. But as I'm not experienced with getting rid of scale on inside Citrus trees, I'll let someone else give it a go. All mine are outside. Good luck.
    ...See More

Help! Meyer Lemon tree not doing too well.

Q

Comments (4)
    Your soils looks very dense. And that might be the problem. Not enough oxygen at the root area. How warm/cold is the floor area? Any cold draft?
    ...See More
  • Ivan Ferdous
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you. I was told by someone its 5 but its good to know.

• myermike_1micha
    8 years ago
    If it's from Monrova, it will bear fruit as soon as you buy it...Now is a great time to repot since days are long and this is the growing season here..I would do as Barbara say's and make sure you fertilize all summer frequently...If you are going to use an entirely different mix, I would bare root. But if you are using a mix similar, I would just tease the roots a bit and pot up...YOu could propagate the newer growth, the soft woody part as long as you keep them warm...
    Get excited and don't get nervous..You have us here to help you succeed)
    Ivan Ferdous thanked myermike_1micha
  • Ivan Ferdous
    Original Author
    8 years ago

So it is safe to repot? And also to do bare root? But how would the propagation be done?

• myermike_1micha
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago
    Ivan, it is safe..Usually the best time to repot anything including a hard cut back is around Fathers day when your plants are most active...You have the daylight and warmth on your side for quick recovery...
    If I did a bareroot, which I would think is the way to go, I would rinse off all the old mix and stick the root ball right into a bucket of water until you are ready to put the new mix into the pot..I would let my tree sit in shade for a couple of weeks until it got use to the repot.
    If I did a pot up into a mix similar, I would only go one size up and water in well..Then stick it right back into the sunlight....

MIke
  • Ivan Ferdous
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Mike would be acceptable to mix potting mix + gritty mix? Also since the lemons are still green and still growing you do mean I should repot after this comes to an end correct?

• Ivan Ferdous
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Also can I use the miracle gro citrus soil? For repotting?

• BarbJP 15-16/9B CA Bay Area
    8 years ago

I wouldn't. MG potting mixes just don't drain good enough for container citrus, even their Citrus soil. Too much peat and the particles are too fine, so they tend to pack together and peat stays wet too long.
    If that's all you have or can find, you could possibly adjust it's drainage by adding a lot of small bark chips, 1/2'' size or so and lots more perlite, larger particle type if you can find it.

Some people, including myself, have done OK with adding bark and perlite to Citrus Mixes, but I've only used EB Stone citrus mix this way and it's worked out OK, but I have to repot more often as it breaks down quicker. I believe the EB Stone Mix has more fir bark and less peat than the MG mix. Plus I live in a dry arid climate, so I don't have to deal with summer rainfall or high humidity, which makes a mix that stays moister more manageable.

If you live where you get a lot of summer rain, I'd be cautious.

• myermike_1micha
    8 years ago
    Ivan, I never care about my fruit if the health of the tree is at stake...Even if my trees were full of fruit. if I knew the best time to repot is now, I would..Most citrus are always in fruit or blooming which leaves little wiggle room for people like us that get short warm periods...
  • Ivan Ferdous
    Original Author
    8 years ago

@mike I understand what you mean. It's my first time with tree and being that there are 7 fruits on it I don't have the heart to destroy them yet. Would potting by mid September be too bad? Also is miracle gro citrus soil work well? I don't think I have a space for such a large amount of 5-1-1 mix. I was also planning on repotting in a 15 gallon container for the orange and lemons and my fig tree. Also would air layering allow me to grow a meyers lemon tree that whill grow and bloom in a year?

• Ivan Ferdous
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Does it also take time for new growth to show up?

• Ivan Ferdous
    Original Author
    8 years ago

So I guys I have not yet repotted the Meyers Lemon plant yet. It's in full sun 6+ hours a day. I don't see any new growth, I don't see the lemons getting bigger or yellow. The plant looks really healthy just not sure why it's not growing growing. Any help please?

8 years ago

Citrus grow in spurts or flushes, not continuously. Mine have about 2-4 growth flushes a year depending on the kind, in between those times they don't grow. Also the fruit take quite a long time to mature compared to pome or stone fruits. Some kinds of citrus can take up to 12 months or more. Lemons typically take about 6-9 months to fully mature.

Your tree looks very healthy. You just need patience. ;)

Ivan Ferdous thanked BarbJP 15-16/9B CA Bay Area
  • Ivan Ferdous
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you so much. As for the leaves. It just seems I don't have enough. Is there something wrong? Also I should mention the nursery I bought this from had it in the greenhouse if that matters much.

This mornings photograph

8 years ago

That's typical for a young citrus tree. If you want more leaves when it does flush, take off some of the fruit. I'd leave only maybe 2-3 on a tree that young.

Maturing the fruit does take a lot of energy, leaving little for new growth. The tree will favor ripening the fruit over growing more leaves. Best to keep it to very small crops of less than 6 or so for the first two or three years, especially if you've not re-potted into a larger container.

And of course, keep up with your fertilizing program.

Ivan Ferdous thanked BarbJP 15-16/9B CA Bay Area
  • Ivan Ferdous
    Original Author
    8 years ago

So what I decided to do is listen to your advice and took of 6 of the 7 lemons and right when I took it off I see a small white bulb like thing... its a flower :D but I guess it's too late I took off the other lemons so the tree would grow stronger and more leaves and 1 remaining lemon and new bud. I really hope this will encourage growth!

• myermike_1micha
    8 years ago
    It should..removing fruit always encourages further growth of leaves and roots..I would also remove most fruit..What soil mix are you going to use? How's the mix it's in now? Can you take a photo for us? I always love to see the soil they are in other than the plant because the soil will affect most every thing..
    Are you preparing for the winter? Do you have a sunny area it's going to reside in?
    It's a beauty!
  • Ivan Ferdous
    Original Author
    8 years ago

So here are some pictures of the plant you requested Mike. I'm using the mix it has come in. Not yet root bound, it's from Monrovia. I do plan to repot and I was thinking about Miracle Gro Citrus mix. As for winter I plan on keeping it indoors with a humid water tray under the plant. Also have it in the brightest space I have and also use a grow light. The rooms are always around 70*f.

• Ivan Ferdous
    Original Author
    8 years ago

• myermike_1micha
    8 years ago

You might be able to get away with that soil mix for now, but I find that the mix many trees are sold in are only meant for temporary plantings, and if not traded out for a fresh mix can be problematic during the cooler months of the year.

I would not use that MGCM you are thinking of unless you mix it well with half and half perlite..Make it a porous as possible without comprimising moisture in the mix so it dries out rather quickly, will not hold salt deposits and neither bugs sujch as gnats.

It is a constant source of light that will keep your trees healthy and a night time drop of at least 5 to ten degrees..If you are going to keep your trees exposed to a constant 70 degrees without a drop at night, your trees will probably loose their leaves and branches eventually. They will also be susceptible to pest such as mites. Your goal is to keep them as healthy as possible without active growth during the winter months. It's ok if your trees rest during the winter months and in fact healthy.

I would also encourage to loose the sticks and rope that hold them up and let which will encourage them to gain stronger trunks. If they are too top heavy, trim them back a bit during this active growth time and it will encourage lower growth along with good trunk development.

If you plant on leaving them in that mix, or using just the MGCM right out of the bag, I would watch out for salt deposits over time. Stop fertilizing once fall comes if you want to avoid spindly weak growth meant only for pests.

Mike

• Ivan Ferdous
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hey all. As per your suggestions I removed 7 of the 8 lemons. Now I have had 3 blooms and all 3 are growing into lemons now. But no real signs of new foliage, is this normal?

• Ivan Ferdous
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Anyone have any idea what I should do?

• pip313
    8 years ago

I'd leave them and dare I say you were given bad advice on removing the fruit.

To those that suggested that, you are aware he lives on/by Long Island New York? He needs to keep his tree a manageable size and he also needs to encourage low growth. The fruit do that by bending branches down.

In in my opinion people like us have different goals than those that can plant in the ground. Or even keep them outdoors 11/12 months a year. Everyone has their opinion and opinions are never wrong per se. But some are more appropriate to specific circumstances.

Ivan Ferdous thanked pip313
  • Ivan Ferdous
    Original Author
    8 years ago

@pip313 thank you so much. I guess I can't really blame anyone. But thank you so much for clearing this for me. I do plan on repotting in a 15 gallon ceramic pot with miracle gro citrus mix. With osmocote slow release 4 month feed. I plan on doing so at the end of the month to get it ready for the indoors from the winter.

• BahamaDan Zone 12b Subtropics
    8 years ago

Ivan if you do decide to use the miracle Gro I highly recommend you add perlite (not vermiculite) to the mix, something like 30 to 50 percent perlite as this will really help it drain a lot better and not hold to much wetness around your trees roots :-)

Ivan Ferdous thanked BahamaDan Zone 12b Subtropics
  • Ivan Ferdous
    Original Author
    8 years ago

So 2 bags of citrus mix + 2 bags of perlite and has anyone used bunny poop for their citrus?

8 years ago

If that's what you need to end up with a 50:50 mix then sure, and not with citrus but I know a lady who raises them and uses it for her peppers and they grow great. It's considered a 'cold' manure as it won't burn plants like overfertilizing sometimes can, but I'd still just start out with a little if you do decide to use it, and see how the tree responds.

• Ivan Ferdous
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Would using normal potting mix with extra Perlite also be okay?

8 years ago

That or the citrus mix should be okay, the perlite is just to loosen them up and get that nice aeration and drainage.