SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
strawchicago

Chicago Botanical gardens: waterfalls & roses & perennials

strawchicago z5
8 years ago

I just got back from 5 hours hiking at Chicago Botanical Gardens with 26 different gardens on 385 acres. I took 131 pictures, so I'll post a few per day:

Begin of trip, with hubby carrying an insulated red-bag filled with snacks for the hike, along with 3 large coolers in the car. I over-packed food for the hike ... we were more thirsty than hungry.

Comments (100)

• strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Old Garden Damask rose, Old Garden roses are grown for their fragrances, rather than landscape-show. The blooms are 1/2 their normal size, due to months-long-heavy rain, that leach out nutrients, esp. calcium:

• strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Another Old garden rose, "Empress Josephine", which is the best looking among the bunch. They also have Comte de Chambord, and many others, but this is the best-looking among the OGR.

• Related Discussions

Huntsville Botanical Gardens Spring Plant sale

Q

Comments (1)
    I'll be there on the Wednesday night event, and my DH is volunteering on a couple of mornings too.
    ...See More

Chicago Botanical Gardens, 10/2/2010

Q

Comments (4)
    Iris Gal, The shrub Midwest Living was much nicer looking. That was a new one I'd never heard of until yesterday. Also, Love and Crimson Bouquest looked just outstanding. Jim, thanks! It was a fun trip. Ate at the O'Hare Oasis.....something neither my husband nor I had done since we were with our parents as small children. There are 4 tollway oases in Chicagoland, which are building/walkway areas over the interstate that house McDonalds, Starbucks, etc....a little fast-food eatery. I remember stopping there for breakfast as a small kid whenever we went north to the Milwaukee zoo. Way too much info..hehe....but it was fun being a kid again yesterday!
    ...See More

Cantigny gardens: roses, McCormick mansion, war museum & perennials

Q

Comments (65)
    Above pic. is Chicago Peace. They SHOULD NOT HAD put sulfur granules early summer. Peace does not like it acidic. Plus the calcium in the sulfur bleach out the bloom. Previous post I stated "gypsum" but I double-check spring pics. and it's sulfur, white granules that the park used, rather than gypsum (grayish granules). Gypsum has 17% sulfur, and more calcium, with pH 6.8. Encap® Fast ActingTM Sulfur GUARANTEED ANALYSIS Calcium (Ca)………………………………………………………………………………………..11.0% Sulfur (S)……………………………………………………………………………………………..49.0% Below is Double-Delight. They SHOULD NOT HAD put sulfur granules on this ... also likes alkaline. The park has a hired crew applying the same to every roses, without realizing that roses are different from each other.
    ...See More

What is this heat resistant climber at Brooklyn Botanical Garden?

Q

Comments (7)
    Does BBG have a list and corresponding map of its roses? My large regional garden does so I might imagine the same for such a world-renounce place. OK. I couldn't find it on their website. That's crazy! I'd call. I've asked questions over the phone at the Chicago Rose Garden and the woman walked right out there and then with her cell phone to answer my question!!!
    ...See More
  • strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

So glad they don't have Knock-outs at Chicago Botanical gardens, there are so many other landscape roses better than Knock-outs: more winter-hardy, better bush-shape and more rain-resistant. My neighbor has a bunch of Drift-roses bought from Menards for $8 per gallon, they out-perform her many Knock-outs. The Drift-roses have more petals, always in bloom, and don't get shattered by the rain, plus Drift-roses have a wonderful wafting scent, so delicious when I stand by.

• strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    8 years ago

More landscape roses. Tons of blooms despite heavy rain. Rain-resistant is the most important characteristic that I would look for in a landscape rose. The pinkish bushes are Flower-Carpet Coral.

• strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Bed of hybrid tea. Tropicana is the orange one, and a bunch others. I like how they keep their hybrid teas short & lots of blooms. Tropicana can get to 7 feet tall, if not pruned.

• strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Bed of Peace rose. When I grew Peace in my last house, of acidic clay. My Peace was beautiful: dark yellow, with pinkish tinge. Chicago Botanical has alkaline loamy soil, so their Peace is lighter yellow.

• strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    8 years ago

More Flower Carpet, pink-clusters, mixed with blue-salvia. The sight is breath-taking:

• strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Here's a close-up of Flower-Carpet pink-rose. It's amazing how those tiny-leaves can withstand drought and flood at the same time. My neighbor's Drift-roses have even smaller leaves, and they handle her flooded-area really well. Drift-roses don't have the shiny-glossy foliage of Flower-Carpet, but Drift-roses make up by the drifting-wonderful scent in humid weather. Plus Drift roses have the perfect round-shape, which Knock-outs and Flower-Carpets lack.

• strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    8 years ago

This shot shows the irregular, angular shape of Flower-Carpet, best grown where there's vast space. For a limited space, I would choose Drift-rose, which has mini-rose parentage to stay compact & perfect round-shape.

• strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    8 years ago

They plant perennial flowers along the walk by the lake, it's a pleasure to stroll with a nice breeze blowing across the lake.

• msdorkgirl
    8 years ago

Thank you straw for the pictures of flower carpet ... is it always in bloom? The last pic in particular, with combination of the purples, yellows, and the water is really worthy of being a screen saver :)

strawchicago z5 thanked msdorkgirl
  • strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    8 years ago

YES FLOWER CARPET IS ALWAYS IN BLOOM. My coral flower carpet blooms a month-earlier than Knock-out in early spring, and ends when hard frost come, right after Thanksgiving. Drift-roses are always in bloom since it's rain-resistant like Flower-Carpet, but Knock-out pauses in between. Knock-out are NOT as hardy as Flower-carpet, thus later to bloom in summer.

The ducks are lovely. We witnessed a crane caught a fish and swallow it, too bad I could not capture with my camera, it happened so fast.

• strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    8 years ago

close up of ducks:

• strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    8 years ago

One of the many waterfalls:

• strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    8 years ago

A very old, more than one hundred-year bonsai:

• strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hot & dry with cactus greenhouse:

• strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    8 years ago

The most romantic place: Overhanging baskets of begonias, balcony that overlooks a lake:

• strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Steps leading away from the English Wall Garden:

• strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Chicago Botanical has loamy soil, so Flower Carpet Coral is perfect for them. Their polyanthas like Marie Pavie is only 1/4 the size compared to my Marie pavie in heavy-clay. Polyanthas do better in alkaline clay. I give my Marie Pavie dolimitic lime, rather than gypsum, since it likes alkaline. Flower Carpet doesn't look good stand alone, due to their irregular shape, but they are fantastic combined with other annuals. Picture taken after month-long of heavy & constant rain:

• strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Duchess de Brahan, an Old Garden Rose, is a stand-out, Not much scent though.

• strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Getrude Jekyll, a VERY THORNY Austin Rose, was disappointing in look and scent. Perhaps the heavy rain washed away the scent, but Betty White was STILL fabulous in scent.

• strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Here's a Damask rose that folks praise for its beauty. But it looked like hell with heavy rain: blooms are 1/2 the size & shattered. Perhaps not enough calcium & magnesium in loamy soil:

• strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Here's Gold Medallion, beat up by the rain. I would do landscape roses like Flower Carpet, just to have a good show despite heavy rain.

• strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Forget the name of this one, but it's NOT Chicago peace. it's bigger & more petals than Chicago Peace. It's one of the French Meilland roses (glossy & dark foliage).

• strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    8 years ago

They have a floral arrangement show, too many to take pics, plus my kid & her friend start touching them and messing them up, so I had to leave:

• msdorkgirl
    8 years ago

I love flower arrangement shows, they are so interesting in the materials they used. Thank you for sharing these Straw! I'll be going to the garden next week so will share what I can on this side of the world too.

strawchicago z5 thanked msdorkgirl
  • jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    8 years ago

Breathtaking photo Straw! Thanks for sharing!

What vendors sell Flower Carpet roses?

• User
    8 years ago

Beautiful park. It looks like so much fun.

• strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    8 years ago

HomeDepot sells FlowerCarpet early spring, they are sold-out fast, since they are loaded with blooms in the pot. Lowe's also sells them early spring, sold-out fast. My neighbor wants FlowerCarpet after she saw mine bloomed 1 month ahead of Knock-out in early spring. She went to all the stores in early June, but they were sold out. Best time is mid-April to shop for Flower-Carpet.

Chamblee carries Drift-roses, many petals & smaller bushes, but Drift-roses are susceptible to mildew ... Drift has "matte" foliage, and isn't glossy like FlowerCarpet. What I like about FlowerCarpet is low-thorn, just tiny prickles spaced very wide-apart.

8 years ago

From looking online I see Drift Roses are easier to find.

If I can ever find Flower Carpet I might try a couple. Wish they were easier to find though...

Wonder why? You think Flower Carpet would be sold everywhere and be much easier to find....

• strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Jim: Lowe's nearby your PA has FlowerCarpet on-line cheaper than my place: at $25 for 2-gallon FlowerCarpet, compared to $27 in my Chicagoland, see link below:

Flower Carpet sold at Lowe's

8 years ago

Our nearest Lowes is in Altoona Pa. Clearfield Pa is quite a distance from here...

• strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Here's a link on Flowercarpet discussion. folks say insects have no interest, that includes spider mites, Jap. Beetles, and rose slugs. I agree, JB attack my red Knock-outs 1st, and not much on Flower Carpet Coral. Folks say Walmart and HomeDepot carry that. Yes, I got mine at HomeDepot, and I saw them at Walmart early May.

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/discussions/1669035/flower-carpet-roses

• strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I like how Chicago Botanical Garden mingle rose-beds with evergreens, so it's not bare in the winter.

• Khalid Waleed (zone 9b Isb)
    8 years ago

Beautiful pics

strawchicago z5 thanked Khalid Waleed (zone 9b Isb)
  • jessjennings0 zone 10b
    8 years ago

I only 'discovered' this forum now...what amazing photo's and what an amazing garden...it is spectacular...

I love 'Souvenir de la Malmaison' most... :-)

and all those fountains...what a paradise....

strawchicago z5 thanked jessjennings0 zone 10b
  • strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Bumped up this thread to see the Dark Lady as grafted on Dr. Huey early June at Chicago Botanical Garden. It's so small !! That's why I took the Dark Lady OFF MY BUY-LIST ... since as own-root, it would be like a mini-rose in my zone 5a.

Austin roses are much smaller as own-root. Here's a rating of OWN-ROOT Austin roses for warm climate Texas:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1054489/

MiniPonyFarmer Gilmer, TX(Zone 8b) Nov 12, 2009

Of the David Austins I have had, here are my favorites:
    HERITAGE
    TRADESCANT
    GOLDEN CELEBRATION
    ABRAHAM DARBY
    SOPHY'S ROSE
    THE DARK LADY

These are ones I would not buy again:
    Glamis Castle (blackspot)
    Charles Darwin (fades too much)
    Molineux (puny)
    Portmeirion (really puny)

• Anna
    7 years ago

Straw: you had amazing hike. I love those unnamed bright red roses. I had Tropicana, it didn't bloom much here and has no scent.

strawchicago z5 thanked Anna
  • jabubaoski
    7 years ago

Hi Straw,

Just as a counterpoint to MiniPony from TX, Molineux own root for me in a pot in Zone 7 NY is big, bigger than DA’s indication of 3x3. I planted my defoliated gallon pot the last week of June, it is now about 4 feet tall 3 feet wide. Its home is 14” diameter and 17” tall, my best guess is it’s a bit less than 10 gallon, it will be upgraded to a 15 gallon in the spring. I am so pleasantly surprised by its performance I am itching to add more DAs!

Any recommendations for “mannerly” climbers (DA or otherwise)? I had asked Vaporvac on another thread because she trains a few DAs to climb. As you know my roses have to live in pots (I will find 30-40 gallon size), so a more vigorous climber will be very unhappy.

Thanks for bumping up this thread so I can find it! The pix are beautiful. The Chicago Botanical Garden looks wonderful and well kept. Unlike the Brooklyn Botanical Garden, I was sad when I went 2 weeks ago, the rose garden looked neglected - some bushes completely defoliated, most looked in dire need of some TLC.

strawchicago z5 thanked jabubaoski
  • strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Jabubaoski: Annie L. McDowell was a constant-bloomer when I grew it in a pot, except canes are stiff and spreading & need support. Renae is more flexible ... both are thornless, great scent.

For red: Falstaff is stingy on folks, but Tess is a better bloomer, but both are thorny. Nur Mahal is a thornless red climber (it's a hybrid musk so will take partial shade), see below:

http://www.helpmefind.com/gardening/l.php?l=2.4507.1&tab=36

Will update this post after I search for Val's thread of THORNLESS roses in her hot & sandy soil.

• jabubaoski
    7 years ago

Thanks Straw! I was looking at soft colors as I'm adding Nahema, the sidings of the roof are copper color, red may not work too great with the scheme and extra prickly is definitely no good.

I'm learning that flexible canes is a big deal, even for shrubs, my 2 Kordes Fijis are rigorous and healthy (same age and size but doesn't bloom 1/4 of Molineux) , yet the stiff canes get snapped by rain/wind. They are dutifully staked but the stiffness makes the cane brittle, such a trait would be horrible for a climber in training.

strawchicago z5 thanked jabubaoski
  • totoro z7b Md
    7 years ago

Thanks for posting! I was always wondering about the difference between flower carpet and Drift.

strawchicago z5 thanked totoro z7b Md
  • strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Totoro: Drift roses are bred in France by Meilland company, which PREFER ALKALINE minerals, such as rocky soil with high pH. My neighbor has hard-clay like mine, and she planted her drift roses with a BIG BAG of pea-gravel (different colors) at bottom of planting hole, then compost next. The high pH of rocks neutralize acidic rain water-accumulation at the bottom of hole, which rots roots or cause fungal diseases due to pH dropping. Her Drift roses are 100% healthy despite Drift roses are NO LONGER sold here due to fungal issues. Her Drift roses are in flooded areas. FlowerCarpets are from Germany, MUCH MORE DISEASE RESISTANT & take shade, but Drift roses can't. My FlowerCarpet are blooming in less than 2 hrs. of sun right now.

• strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I bought Dark-Lady after being impressed by its compactness & scent at Chicago Botanical Garden. Love it !! Big bloom and nicest color, plus old rose scent. The leaves are tomato plants invading it:

• northlandyogi_mi5a
    3 years ago

Thank you for linking me to this incredible post! Learned a lot! I'll take a look at the Carpet series.

Next time when you get a chance, maybe next summer or so, do you mind taking pictures of the Distant Drums flower bed at the Chicago Botanical Garden? You mentioned that a few times in various threads and got me really intrigued.

strawchicago z5 thanked northlandyogi_mi5a
  • strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yogi: A friend visited Chicago Botanical garden today 8/20/20 and she reported VERY LITTLE BLOOMS in hot & dry. Only White Knockout has lots of blooms. Other stand-outs: Princess Charlene de Monaco and Charles Darwin. The rose park doesn't carry the same roses every year, and I don't see Distant Drums sold as grafted at local stores. I don't recommend buying it as own-root .. a friend in Kansas, zone 6 grew that as own-root and it's very wimpy & full of black spots. Edmunds roses in Ohio might have it as grafted-on-Dr.Huey .. grafted-on-Dr.Huey is good for display only 3 years, after that the rose-park gets rid of them altogether. Grafted-on-Dr.Huey is cheap here, like $6 at Menards. It was 3 years ago that I saw the bed full of Distant-Drums. For high-rain climate, own-root or grafted-on-multiflora is best.

• northlandyogi_mi5a
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

@strawchicago z5 Thank you. I just looked up and our area gets 33 inches of rain, on average, per year. The US average is 38 inches of rain per year. We averages 157 inches of snow per year. We have a short grow season (end of May to late Sep). For our area would own-root better (from rose unlimited, Heirloom etc.) or grafted better (from DA website)? I think we had this discussion in a thread and I got the impression that my priority is to look for own root. What do you think? Oh, soil in my flower bed is partly amended with top soil and partly neutral ph sandy. I can keep amending it.

strawchicago z5 thanked northlandyogi_mi5a
  • strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Since you have sandy soil, BOTH own-root and grafted-on-Dr.Huey would be fantastic, but grafted-on-Dr.Huey needs to be buried at least 4 inch. below soil-level. For CLIMBERS or LARGE-AUSTIN-SHRUB I would lean toward own-roots. For roses that are listed as small shrub in Austin Catalog, I WOULD BUY AS GRAFTED. The new Austin catalog 2020 lists which ones are large bush vs. medium vs. small size. Few wimpy ones best as GRAFTED: Boscobel, Jude the Obscure, Princess Alexandra of Kent, Eglantyne. Re-post the info. from another thread why grafted-on-Dr.Huey is not best for heavy rain.

The problem with zone 5 winter: we have 7 months of zero rain in winter, then flood in spring (3" of rain per day), then dry summer months alternate with heavy rain, esp. in fall. Roses on a DEEP & LONG Dr.Huey-rootstock can't handle being soaked in acidic rain water, pH 4.5. Dr. Huey was bred in dry & alkaline CA. Now I understand why Jim in PA, zone 6 only grow own-root roses, and he researched carefully on roses that can handle heavy rain & flood.

About Tamora: it's best in alkaline & fast-draining soil. Nearby zone 5 rose park with alkaline clay had Tamora (grafted-on-Dr.Huey) ... it black spotted badly in heavy rain. Plus the myrrh scent is gone during heavy rain (more than 1" per day). Tamora and Queen Nefertiti (its child) are both thorny, and my experience with thorny roses: they like FAST-DRAINING SOIL, tend to black spot in slow-drainage clay and heavy rain.

In contrast, LOW-THORN roses can tolerate flooding and soaking-wet & poor drainage clay better .. such as almost thornless Twilight zone, that can take tons of rain without diseases & compact & plus a wafting scent 4 feet away. Glossy foliage like Pat Austin also can take poor-drainage and flooding .. Pat is compact in my zone 5, amazing scent of mango and nectarine. Pat is a water-hog. Munstead Wood is also compact AS OWN-ROOT with wafting scent.

Dr.Huey-rootstock (A LONG & DEEP STICK) needs fast drainage and doesn't like acidic rain in slow-drainage clay. Own-roots or multiflora-rootstock are more cluster-shallow root and can take flooding & heavy rain better. Also for compactness, own-root is best. My Jude the Obscure was 2' x 1' as own-root, versus rose park's Jude-grafted-on-Dr.Huey was over 7 feet tall & same with their Abraham Darby.

Below is Tamora at rose park with alkaline clay ... I won't post the pic. of its dropping all leaves due to blackspots in our heavy rain (more than 1" per day):

Twilight zone as 4th-year-own-root in my zone 5 garden, next to a rain spout & only 4 hrs. of sun, always healthy. Like Bolero, I can smell the old-rose scent many feet away:

Below is 10-year-own-root Pat Austin, amazing mango and nectarine scent, loves tons of rain, bloom lots in only 4 hrs. of sun:

Munstead Wood is very compact, with amazing scent that floats in the air (much stronger & better scent than Bolero). With winter-kill in zone 5, the bush is more slender & compact than below pic. as 6th-year-own-root.

• strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    4 months ago

bump this up.