SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bbstxx

Planning a trip to Oahu

bbstx
8 years ago

Seven family members (ranging from 20-55) and I are going to Hawaii in August. Not my favorite month to go, but it is what worked with school, work, etc. We will only be there for 6 days. I know some will suggest trips to other islands, but we are going to stick to Oahu for this short trip.

Do you have recommendations for these activities?

- surfing lessons for the younger set

- luau other than the Polynesian Cultural Center

- a not-to-be-missed restaurant

Is Waimea Valley worth it? Is there more to it than a botanical garden and waterfalls? One review I read said the water at the falls was dirty.

Are mosquitoes bad? I read reviews of a place with outdoor dining and one reviewer complained of the mosquitoes.

Is Dole Plantation interesting?

Lots of folks on Trip Advisor and Yelp seem to like Duke's. How is it?

Where can I get a good banh mi?

Any other recommendations for restaurants and activities?

Comments (51)

• bbstx
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks, anitamo. We have Pearl Harbor admissions reserved. I think that will take up most of a day. Perhaps we'll use the rest of the day for the beach.

• justgotabme
    8 years ago

Our daughter lived there for three years, just moving back to the mainland this past March. I'll ask her what restaurants she would recommend. I was there three times but didn't get as much site seeing as I'd have liked.

I do highly recommend visiting the Pearl Harbor Museum. Anita more is correct, it's very emotional. If anyone has a military I'D then check out Ford island and the Utah Memorial. Since you need the ID to get on, you'll more than likely be there alone.

With the military ID, you can also go to Bellows beach. If you are a fan of Hawaii 5 0, you'll recognize the beach and also Nimitz highway too. I can share photos later when on my laptop if you like.

Dole Plantation was very interesting if you take the train ride.

We made a quick stop at a beach on the North Shore. Very pretty. General Hospital hunk Jax lives somewhere on the North Shore with his wife and their two boys.

bbstx thanked justgotabme
  • Related Discussions

Mtnrd and Sueb, are you still planning trip to Charleston?

Q

Comments (2)
    I am not sure yet either, but appreciate all the advice! I wanted to go during my kids' April vacation, but there is a very slight chance my DD will be competing in a regional gymnastics meet that happens that week, so I don't think we can plan anything until about a month before. DH still isn't terribly excited at the idea of Charleston for some reason so maybe I'll just go for part of the week with 1 or 2 kids. Who knows. There's also the fact that we're going away for a week in Feb., a week in June, a 4-day weekend in June, and 3 weeks in July/Aug., so DH will be running a bit low on vacation days at work!
    ...See More

Would you plan a trip to Europe, specifically Paris?

Q

Comments (40)
    I go to Paris every year, though I now travel alone since my husband died (some of his ashes went with me and stayed). I think I know Paris better than the town I'm now living in here! We made so many friends over the years, and I'm returning again this fall. I now stay in an apartment in a residential building near my friends, with the closest famous sight being the Palais Royale. One of my friends who lives in Paris arrived in Brussels today. She didn't change her plans. It's a good idea to enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program so that the US Embassy will know where you are, and when you're there. You'll get alerts, if anything is happening. I use the métro when it's raining, but Paris is very walkable. I easily walk over 8 miles a day when I'm there, just going about my business. If you're nervous about the métro, then walk. The terrorist attacks in Paris were in a neighborhood far from the sights most tourists see. My friends who live in Paris had been to that nightclub; a few were there the week before the attacks. The main-attractions in Paris are heavily guarded. SWAT team guarded. The National Police wear protective SWAT gear and carry automatic weapons. They tend to be in teams of three or four together. That's normal. BUT -- If you see buses of armed police parked along a street and/or congregating around an area, turn around and go the other way---they know something is going on! In July 2014, I was alone and staying on THE main street in the Jewish neighborhood in the Marais. Rue des Rosiers was blockaded and guarded while I was there due to demonstrations protesting Israeli attacks in the Gaza. The demonstrations grew into vandalism, and it forced many of the shops to close. Except for the bomb squad checking out a parked car at the entrance of my apartment building, I felt safe, coming and going, because of the heavily armed police. One night, I missed the last train from my friends' neighborhood and walked all the way from the Concorde to the Marais at two o'clock in the morning, I felt safer walking than getting in a taxi at that time of night! There are some good tips if you're staying in a hotel (which I don't) -- ask to stay on the middle floors (not the first or second) and your room is away from the hotel restaurant. Make sure your cell phone always charged, and it is enabled for traveling in France and that you know how to place calls. Turn DATA off, and use voice roaming only so that you don't incur enormous charges. Your phone carrier can explain this and enable your phone. I use Verizon, here and there. Don't make yourself stick out like an American. The French will know you're not one of them, but try to blend in. These tips apply more regarding pickpockets and scam artists, than terrorists: Leave those white sneakers at home, unless they're Converse. No baseball caps on men. Don't wear t-shirts with writing on the front or back. Don't wear shorts, and I discourage calf-length crop pants. Ankle pants/jeans are fine. Shift dresses in the summer are great if it's hot. Keep the color scheme subdued. Navy blue or grey are great for summer; black is good anytime. Don't take backpacks around the city. With high security, you'll be searched going into museums. When you wear a backpack on the métro or crowded places, it's the first place the pickpockets will reach to steal your stuff. Don't wear fanny packs, for the same reason as backpacks. Carry a cross-body purse and keep it zipped, with your hand over the top of it.Don't hang it on the back of a chair anywhere. Keep it on your lap while eating. Don't put a cell phone on a restaurant table top anywhere. BTW, some of the nice restaurants may not like it if you take photos of their food. Keep your voice down everywhere you go. You'll really attract attention--not the good kind,. Just go have fun, but be aware of your surroundings. Be polite...learn enough French to say hello, please, thank you and goodbye. I figure I have a greater chance of dying from being sedentary at home than getting out and traveling.
    ...See More

Planning a trip to Niagra Falls! Other places to visit??

Q

Comments (25)
    Depending on 'when' you go, the evening, temps may be in the 60's, 70's, 80's, etc. We're currently experiencing a bit of a heatwave right now so evening temps are in the 70's. If you go in July or August, day & evening temps can be pretty hot & we have lots of humidity. Hopefully, your hotel will be close to the falls so when you walk close by; you'll get that great mist from it that'll keep you cool even when it's fairly blistering! There are fireworks every Friday night-usually around 9-9:30pm. I can hear them from my house but not see them unfortunately. Home fireworks have been banned here recently as well as outdoor fires as we are experiencing a drought. You'll see lots of brown grass, Prettypetals which is a shame since the Niagara region is known to be lush & green. N.O.T.L & Niagara Parks are still amped up with lush flower baskets, containers and gorgeous beds that are bursting with flowers so you'd never notice we haven't had a good rain in awhile.
    ...See More

Lady Bird Wildlife Center trip planned - any tips?

Q

Comments (16)
    Can you say "FEEDING FRENZY" in the sun. LOL. I always drop three times more than I plan. BUT many of the individual plants that I have bought in the past have seeded out in my field and have been care free. Right now the Texas prairie parsley is showing a great deal of germination. I thought that it was a goner after it died because I could not get any of the seed to sprout. IT took several years, but now the ones that I through out in the field in disgust are replicating quite nicely in a staggered pattern during the last couple of wet winters.. I expect to have a great showing. I like the Fall sale because it is the best time to plant perennials here. Mostly , I am doing seeds from friends and my exsorbitant excusion there has settled down a bit. As the plant sale gets closer, they will post a species list. I go through it and print the printable form out and have my things circled that I am interested in. They do also have a pre sale event giving members first dibs on Friday. In the back there is a NPSOT booth that always has some oddities. I got white silphium, amsonia cilliata and escarpment Black cherry from them....Not all on the same year. They do not post their haves on the site with the plant list. The Natural Gardener and Barton Springs Nursery has many of the same plants for less. I went to the sale and then to Natural Gardener one year and they gave me 10 or 15% off since I was wearing a LBJWFC sticker on my shirt. AAAH, Christmas for the plant obsessed.
    ...See More
  • OutsidePlaying
    8 years ago

Recommend the Hilton Hawaiian Village for surfing lessons. DGD learned there and I thought it looked very safe there and much less rough than the waves in Maui. They had a rope to help get the surfers out beyond the breakers (which weren't bad). She learned very quickly in the group lesson and then wanted to go back, so took a private lesson.

I love Duke's. If you go for dinner you should have a reservation, or just go early. But lunch is good too. I love their fish tacos, or the fresh fish for dinner. Very pleasant, especially to sit neat the outside porch with a view of Diamond Head. Another favorite place to eat is the Yard House. It is in a pedestrian area a few streets down on Lewers Street.. It is a chain but good food, nice variety for everyone, and a big beer selection. There are several restaurants and shops there. Nice area.

The Dole Plantation is interesting but rather commercial.

If you don't mind a longer drive and want the 'original shave ice' go up to Haleiwa. It's on the North Shore and really is a neat little area. Or go up the other side, up to Diamond Head, hike in Diamond Head park and drive around that side of the North Shore and come back over the mountain, visit Pali Lookout and the Punchbowl Cemetary (the Arlington of the Pacific) if you are inclined to do that.

bbstx thanked OutsidePlaying
  • bbstx
    Original Author
    8 years ago

No military ID within our group :-(

We will have a couple of cars among us so driving to interesting places won't be a problem. And we can split up and go different directions if some want to do A and others want to do B.

In addition to Pearl Harbor, we might also visit the Missouri. I am totally neutral on that one, so it will be up to the rest of the group to decide. DH's dad served in China and the Pacific during WWII; DBIL's dad was mostly in Europe, I think. Both of them are interested in military history so I imagine we'll go to the Punchbowl.

Is the Dole Plantation commercial because they want to sell you souvenirs at every turn or because it is a big, commercial farming operation? Having grown up in a rural areal, we are all interested in learning how crops grow in other regions.

• justgotabme
    8 years ago

The Dole Plantation does have a big gift shop. Things didn't seem to be overly high in price for that sort of place. They have large signs telling what each plant is along the train ride. They also have a lovely garden with various pineapples that we found interesting.

My hubby, daughter and her hubby all went snorkeling near Diamond head. Our daughter might remember the name, but hubby doesn't.
    If you have a Scuba Diver in your group my hubby would recommend using Island Divers. He went diving with them a couple times. One place was Turtle Cove. They'll pick you up and drop you back off at your hotel too. Which is great because traffic is crazy busy most places. There was only one place that we went that the traffic wasn't an issue and that was the area near the Island Divers shop. I'm not sure what part of the island they are located, but I'm sure they are just a Google search away.
    Oh and Hawaii is the Rainbow state. It rains almost daily, but not on all parts of the island. By what our daughter said it rains more often on the North Shore. I took this shot from inside our rental. Speaking of the rental. We stayed at the Marriott the first time there and besides the cost of the rental, there was a $30.00 Valet parking fee every single day!

• bbstx
    Original Author
    8 years ago

DSIL is a certified scuba diver but has said he isn't going to dive on this trip.

We've noticed the parking fees. We are at 3 different hotels, depending on who has points for which brand. We are looking at the fees to put the cars at the cheapest of the 3. Out of curiosity, I checked a Dallas hotel website and their valet fees are $26/night so not much less than the Marriott.

Nice pictures, jgbm!

• justgotabme
    8 years ago

My hubby hadn't dived since before we married so he had to get re-certified, but was so glad he did. It take up a better part of a day though, so I can see why your DSIL isn't going to dive.

I'm glad you liked the pictures. Most of what I took were of our darling grand daughter. Even Hawaii, didn't tempt me with her around.

• arcy_gw
    8 years ago

We were there two years ago. Dole only has a DISPLAY orchard. The only producers of pineapple on Hawaii anymore is Maui Gold and they are not on Oahu they are on Maui. Everyone has moved the "typical" Hawaiian crops to Thailand for the most part. Their tour was small and not overly exciting but the eating fresh pineapple was more than worth it. Lunch at the restaurant where they pick you up was a hit for us!! Very old world.
    We went to the Old Lahaina Laua. The oldest and original on the Islands. No fire dancers. We enjoyed it. As far as restaurants go my biggest disappointment of our trip was the food. Why was I expecting a feast of sea foods? That part of the Luau was very disappointing. They are both on Maui. We of course did see Pearl Harbor, the Punch bowl and Waikiki. No bugs on our trip, we were there in July and yes the natives find it VERY odd when Americans are there in the summer. If you are from a southern state Hawaii will be refreshing in August. We did island hop--three Islands. The hop to see the volcano was a huge waste of money. We should have gone on a helicopter trip from the Island we were on. We would have seen more of the acutal lava flow vs cooled lava. I have seen TONS of that in my life. Have fun!!

bbstx thanked arcy_gw
  • OutsidePlaying
    8 years ago

The place you can snorkel near Diamond Head is Hanauma Bay. If you decide to do that, get up early and go. It is little north of Diamond Head, and it gets very crowded later in the day, especially on weekends.

The Punchbowl has beautiful views and the mosaics of the Pacific battles are wonderful. Your military guys would probably like it.

I think you would likely enjoy the Dole Plantation since you do have an interest in the farming aspect. The train tour was interesting and there is a maze the younger ones would find fun.

Yes, Pearl Harbor will take a while. There is a fairly new museum that is excellent, and the ferry out to the actual Arizona museum will take a little time. The Missouri tour is interesting and I agree everything will take most of a day. So just plan to enjoy some beach time after it all.

• bbstx
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Yes, arcy, I live in the South. We have already had at least a week of heat indices over 100 - and its still June! By the time August rolls around, anything under 90 will seem cool. Truth be told, DH and I prefer the mountains. However, the rest of the fam loves the beach. I am making this trip more to spend time with my sister.

DSIL is a newly certified diver, nevertheless, he has chosen not to dive on this trip. I won't be snorkeling but the rest of the fam may want to. I never learned to swim (I know that sounds unbelievable, but Mother was terrified of water and never wanted me to learn. I took a different attitude about my child and DD learned at the earliest possible age! She even did swim team until her teen years and is currently training for a triathlon.)

Thanks all. Keep the suggestions and good information coming! With your help, our trip is beginning to shape up!

• MtnRdRedux
    8 years ago

I've been to Oahu twice, both times as part of a longer trip, with the Oahu stop largely to see Pearl Harbor.

We were just there in late March. I did not get my PH tickets in advance, and about 2 weeks before when I looked into it, I could only go the morning of (first thing) and hope there were tickets. I didn't want to risk that, esp w 5 of us.

So I decided to use a touring company, for a private tour, because they can always get you in. Well, that was an excellent decision. We had a guide who is a graduate student and war historian. Encyclopedic and colorful knowledge of PH. Lively and fun and interesting. Everyone there knew her by name;it was like travelling with a celebrity, LOL. She was also able to have my son drive the boat to and from the memorial; which he loved. I highly recommend her. Kids love her and so did my DH and I. It didn't hurt that she is very cute and dressed like it was 1942 (in a subtle way). The link is below, her name is Kate. We hired her for 4 hrs.

Excellent Pearl Harbor historian and guide

We stayed at the Halekulani on Waikiki Beach, and my kids took surfing lessons from the Ty Guerney (sp) School. They had also taken lessons on the Big Island and Maui, and they liked this outfit the best. They also take video and stills if you wanted.

The Halekulani has a lovely beachfront bar with a view of Diamondhead and nightly hula dancing. Great spot to have a drink. They also have great restaurants but formal and pricey.

My last visit, years ago, we went snorkelling to Hanouma Bay. At that time I felt it was subpar. There were so many people that the water was murky from suntan lotion and frozen peas (to feed and attract fish). I didn't go this time, so maybe it has gotten better.

Honestly, my favorite place in Oahu is the Honolulu Baking Company. OMG they make delicious buttery cookies in all sorts of flavors, shaped like pineapples. They have lots of shops. and all give free samples. Ask me how I know!

bbstx thanked MtnRdRedux
  • bbstx
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

From what I've read, I don't think Hanaouma Bay is less crowded. It is probably more crowded now. I never thought of suntan lotion making the water murky! I can see where it would, though. If everyone wants to do it, I'll encourage them to go early.

Thanks for the recommendation on the tour guide. Did she pick you up or did you meet her at the Visitor's Center? I couldn't tell from the website. Kate does look adorable and summa cum laude to boot!

Oh my! I'm a cookie-holic! I'll have to try the Honolulu Baking Company once, or maybe twice, or ....

• User
    8 years ago

I would highly recommend a tour of the Kamaka Ukelele Factory. What music is Hawaii? The Ukelele! This company is still family owned, they make the best ukeleles in the world....and the tour is really interesting! They are in old downtown Honolulu.

bbstx thanked User
  • bbstx
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks, Jmc, that sounds so cool! I got on the Kamaka Ukelele website and they are still doing tours. They only do them once a day from 10:30 - 11:30 Tuesday - Friday. I hope we can fit it into our schedule!

• bbstx
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Does anyone have an opinion of The Pig and The Lady? They have banh mi and pho (DD wants good pho). Reviews on Yelp are quite mixed - 5 stars followed by 2 stars followed by 5 stars followed by 2 stars, etc

• justgotabme
    8 years ago

arcy_gw, writing "...the natives find it VERY odd when Americans are there..." reminded me that Hawaiian's are Americans and according to our daughter and son in law, do not like it when mainlanders talk as if they are not one of us. Our daughter told us to not use the terms "back in the states" or "back in the US" or we might offend some Hawaiian born American citizens. It wasn't easy, as after such a long fight over the ocean, it seems one should be in another country.
    We were told that the Dole Plantation was a working farm, though it could very well be that they only supply what's needed for the tourism at that plantation. That would make more sense, since what we saw was pretty small.
    Outside playing is right about the snorkeling. Thanks! My family went early and said by the time they left, it was crazy crowded.

• bbstx
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I'll have to confess that I checked my cell carrier to see if I had coverage in HI. I have "domestic" coverage, but I wanted to make sure their definition of domestic and mine were the same.

• PRO
    MDLN
    8 years ago

Was there 3 years ago, what I liked best was snorkeling @ Hanauma Bay. It Is closed on Tuesday, so Wednesday is a good day to go. Go early in the AM before the crowds.

I would spend as little time as possible at the Waikiki Beach area, it is too crowded and touristy.

Greatest regret was wasting precious time in HI going to the Dole Plantation, paying for a commercial, train ride a bad joke, not educational, went past painted poster displays. Am sure I could have learned more by reading on the internet. JMHO

Enjoyed circling the island, drove the perimeter stopping at interesting places. Agree shave ice on the north shore was the best.

Valley of the Temples Memorial Park was pretty and interesting.

http://www.byodo-in.com/

bbstx thanked MDLN
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    8 years ago

No advice as it's been so long since we've been there, but do enjoy. I've often wanted to go back again as I so enjoyed it the first time. DH has a cousin who lives in Honolulu and keeps inviting us for a visit.

Are the Cazimero Brothers still around? One thing I did bring back was a CD of their music. When I was there, I thought I'd bang a nail through my head the next time I heard "Tiny Bubbles" as it would be less painful. I dreaded the thought of going to a Hawaiian music show...but was delighted with it as I'm a nut for close harmony and they do it well...or did in the 80s. And it was definitely NOT "Tiny Bubbles" stuff.

bbstx thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • justgotabme
    8 years ago

Bbstx, we have Verizon and the service was the same as on the mainland. No complaints there.

• OutsidePlaying
    8 years ago

I've not been but that ukelele factory sounds great. I had forgotten a couple of other things that I also enjoyed. One was those outrigger canoe rides that leave from almost every hotel along Waikiki Beach. A friend and I decided to pay up one afternoon and ride one and we had a blast. It's only about an hour, you can buy a beer or wine on most; take a waterproof camera, and you get a whole different perspective of the Waikiki Beach area from the water. Another was the Bishop Museum. It's down near Chinatown and will give you a nice perspective of old Hawaii if that is of interest to some of you. We took the bus but it is probably easy to find with GPS.

I should explain that I've been to Honolulu a zillion times on business within the last 20 years and also with family within the last 5 or so years a couple of times. While on business, we had some down time waiting for flights out the next day to other places (which sometimes got delayed) so we often had to find things to do. That led to a lot of island exploring and some of this was before the days of GPS, so we were reading the maps with all those street names with vowels. The Hawaiian alphabet only has 17 letters.

• bbstx
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Right now, I've tentatively got the Bishop Museum and Iolani Palace scheduled for Friday. The Royal Hawaiian band generally plays on the steps of the palace at noon on Fridays, so I thought we would try to be there to catch that. That night is the Chinatown Art Walk.

AD, I will look for the Cazimero Brothers. They have a Facebook page and Robert has his own FB page. Looks like Roland is ill and may no longer be performing - not sure, but it appears that Robert still performs.

OP, thanks for the explanation of the street names. I know we are going to totally sound like hicks trying to ask where Aeiouaeiouaeiou is. Fortunately, if we can spell it correctly, our phones ought to get us there.

I was in HNL briefly some years ago. It was just one or two nights - more to keep the trip from Hong Kong back home from being too long. I remember a courtyard with a huge Banyan tree where we had drinks one evening. Does that ring a bell for anyone? We stayed at the Sheraton Waikiki so I'm sure it was close to that.

• MtnRdRedux
    8 years ago

Halekulani has a huge tree at their Oceanside lounge, not sure it was banyan.

Yes, the relative paucity of letters is why the names are often repetitions of syllables.

In a similar vein, it is actually spelled Hawai'i, with the " ' ", or okina, designating a short pause when you pronounce it.

bbstx thanked MtnRdRedux
  • bbstx
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks, MtnRd. I can't find a photo on their website of the Oceanside lounge, but I did see that House Without A Key is at the Halekulani. I've read excellent reviews. I think their Mai Tai is supposed to be the best!

• Nothing Left to Say
    8 years ago

If anyone is interested in Hawaiian shirts, Baileys is the place to go.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/baileys-antiques-and-aloha-shirts-honolulu

It's been a long time ago now, but I bought dh a reproduction of a vintage shirt there and he loved it.

• bbstx
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks, crl. DBIL and some of his buds do a boys' trip once a year. I think it is traditional for them to wear Hawaiian shirts at least once on the trip. He'll love replenishing his supply!

• OutsidePlaying
    8 years ago

Just try to pronounce every letter and every vowel and you'll probably be correct most of the time! Sounds like you're planning a great trip! I can't recall the specific banyan tree either. I know there is a huge one in Maui. There may be a big one down in the park down near the aquarium but not sure. If you are down toward Duke's restaurant in the Outrigger it would be just past the Royal Hawaiian hotel and the statue of Duke (the surfer dude). It would be totally worth walking through the lobby of the Royal Hawaiian and out to their balcony. Lovely old Hawaii construction. It's the 'pink hotel'. Can't miss it. Drinks in the evening on their patio are nice but pricey.

• bbstx
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Any restaurant recommendations?

• AtomicJay007
    8 years ago

hi bbstx -

As far as restaurants, Duke's is a really fun place with decent food. In the evening (happy hour) they usually have a band or some form of musical entertainment. I agree with the suggestion to try the fish tacos. However, I prefer Duke's as a lunch time restaurant rather than dinner.

For dinner, one of the most memorable restaurants I ate at was called Ocean House. It's open air, plantation style with several tables/booths with views right out to the ocean. Really amazing view and a bit more formal than Duke's (where people can and do walk right up from the beach in just shorts and bikinis.)

If you've never tried a Nobu restaurant, the one in Waikiki is a must. I'm assuming you and your crew have a more complicated palette; you definitely have to be willing to try new and unusual creations. But if you like fish/sushi type foods or even Kobe beef, they have some of the best.

For breakfast one morning, I recommend a drive out to the Kahala resort - about 10 minutes outside of Waikiki. They have the best breakfast buffet in the city, including made-to-order omelettes.

To address some of your other questions:

1. Mosquitos are not bad at all. I've never even seen one.

2. Skip Dole plantation and take a drive out to the North Shore proper. Stop at a shrimp truck along the way. Get a shave ice. The North shore waves are amazing, and it is much more remote-feeling than Waikiki.

3. For a luau alternative, check out the show that's put on out by the Ihilani Resort. I think it's called Paradise Cove. It's much more personal; kids can do activities and the food is good - by luau standards.

4. Also while on the North Shore, go to Waimea falls. It's the most famous waterfall on Oahu. The old tv show LOST frequently filmed there.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask! I'm not a HI resident, but have been many, many times.

bbstx thanked AtomicJay007
  • bbstx
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks, AJ. Glad to hear the mosquitos aren't bad. DH never gets bitten, but I am a total mosquito magnet. Thanks also for the restaurant recommendations. DH isn't a sushi eater, but he might like Wagyu beef at Nobu. The rest of the crowd are sushi fans.

DBIL wants to see the type of show one sees at a luau, but we've reconsidered and decided that none of us are anxious for luau buffet food. We are considering trying to find a cocktail show and eating somewhere else. Trip Advisor rates Te Moana Nui highly. Anyone seen it?

We've also talked about doing something really cheesy like the Rock-a-Hula cocktail show. Opinions?

I'm so bummed about the Dole Plantation. I was really looking forward to that. (I loved going to Ocean Spray Cranberry tour, and now it's closed!) Maybe we'll just stop by for a Dole Whip.

We are definitely going to the North Shore! I've heard much about the shrimp trucks. Will be looking for them!

Thanks all. Keep the suggestions coming as you think of them or hear from friends and family.

• AtomicJay007
    8 years ago

I can probably give you a few more suggestions if you can give me some idea of what type of activities and exertion level you'd be comfortable with. Depending on where you are staying, many of the resorts have excellent day activities for kids, including kayaking, a "dolphin experience," rented paddle boards, sail boards, etc. Adults can do these things as well, if interested. Lots of people rent mopeds and tour around the city. There is a zoo (not exceptional, but OK). There's the international marketplace which is good for buying little souvenirs and the obligatory cheesy Hawaii t-shirts. You can hike diamond head.

Another option would be to take one of those guided trolly tours to assess different parts of Waikiki and make note of anything you'd like to go back to.

One more restaurant suggestion - by no means "must not miss" - but VERY good is Hy's steakhouse. It is a time capsule in there, so kind of a throwback to the steakhouses of yesteryear. Service is excellent as is the food. They will prepare various flambés right at the table for dessert.

That's about all I can think of for now...

bbstx thanked AtomicJay007
  • MtnRdRedux
    8 years ago

Roy's in Waikiki, fab, despite a dull name. The limo driver who picked us up at the airport told us it was the POTUS' fave, too.

Only other places we tried and liked were in our hotel, but too precious for Hawai'i IMHO .

bbstx thanked MtnRdRedux
  • bbstx
    Original Author
    8 years ago

We have a full spectrum of activity levels from Take It Easy to tri-athletes and everything in between. Easy has some health issues that prevents participation in strenuous activities like hiking Diamond Head or snorkeling, but Easy is happy to sit and read or people watch in the vicinity.

Thanks for the trolley suggestion. We often do that at the beginning of a trip. I don't know why I hadn't thought about it for this trip.

I'll put Hy's on the list.

Mtn, I'm interested in Roy's. I wanted to go until I discovered that it has been turned into a chain. Based on your recommendation, I'll have to reassess my thinking.

• justgotabme
    8 years ago

Our daughter said that any of the shrimp trucks on the North Shore were definitely something to try. Their favorite was Fumi's Kahuku Shrimp. She's going to ask her hubby if he remembers the name of any other eatery for you.
    She's back already.
    Islands Fine Burgers & Drinks at Ala Moana Mall.

The Shack in Kailua.
    She said Germaine's is the best Luau.

I hope these help.

• bbstx
    Original Author
    8 years ago

jgbm, thanks to you and your daughter for the recommendations. My list of good places grows!

• justgotabme
    8 years ago

You're welcome. She sent another suggestion of Paradise Cove Luau.
    I'm sure you'll have a great time no matter what you do. Hubby and I want to go again now that the kids are gone so we can more things. All of our trips were more to visit our daughter and her family.

• cawaps
    8 years ago

Two recommendations:

1) The "toilet bowl" is an oceanside rock formation, really a pit in the rock with an opening at the bottom where the surge comes in. The pit fills up and empties of water with the waves. It's big enough to accommodate several people and it is a frickin' riot. You get in and the surge carries you up and down. Sometimes you have to wait for a big wave to carry you high enough to get out. It's around the point from Hanauma Bay. You can Google for a map and pictures.

2) Goat island is off the shore of Malaikahana Recreation Area (NE corner of the island). You can wade out to it. There's not a lot there, but it is very private if you want to get away from the crowds.

If you don't have lodging arranged, you might want to look into a vacation rental in Kaneohe or Kailua.

You might try the book Oahu Revealed. I haven't used it (haven't been to Oahu since 98) but I have the authors' books on the Big Island and Kauai. Great for finding those off-the-beaten-track destinations.

• justgotabme
    8 years ago

I had to look into the toilet bowl and found out, at least in 2011, it was closed. The video was awesome though.
    TripAdvisor on Toilet Bowl

• teddas
    8 years ago

I highly recommend the FREE snorkeling at Sharks Cove...may have to ask somewhere where it is... it is right off the highway and simply amazing. We did this instead of H BAy. It is amazing how easy it is to float in that little alcove. It is not in a book so you have to ask. Dukes was good for the breakfast buffet..I agree. HOT hiking up Diamond head but worth it. Try to get as close to Bellows beach as you can. HEAVEN on earth. I think right around the corner is public beach. We rented a car easily and just drove though some parts of island are not recommeneded to visit. You are Haoles there and they are not friendly at all to non locals. See if you can hike the Highway to Heaven path...strenuos hike and for fit bodies! We loved the TEddys burger shack! Dream of them now... I found a cheap eats breakfast joint right across street from Hilton HI Village. affordable. The Waikiki beaches are manmade so get out of there and see the real north shore beaches. Just drive but traffic can get awful! Have a good time.

• Gooster
    8 years ago

I have relations on Oahu -- and have been many, many times.

One thing not mentioned is that you can hike to the top of Diamond Head. For the healthy in the bunch, it's hot but with a view that is well worth it.

Hanauma Bay has been loved to near extinction, sadly. Go early in the morning. It used to be amazing, sigh.

I encourage you to try out the North Shore (Waimea Bay, Sunset Beach, Banzai Pipeline). It's an antidote to Waikiki and the strip.

I second the recommendation on Roy's, even though his empire has spread. Doraku (both locations) for sushi/japanese is good, as is Sansei's. If you have not tried Okonomiyaki, try Okonomiyaki Chibo or Jinroku. Make sure you stop for the malasada's (Portuguese donuts) at Leonard's. Although the strip and Ala Moana has big name restaurants (like Morimoto), I've had some great meals in the local neighborhoods and off the strip as well.

• OutsidePlaying
    8 years ago

Oh teddas, I almost forgot about that little restaurant across the street from the Hilton for breakfast. Definitely looks like a dive on the outside, but is a clean little Mom & Pop outfit and they have yummy banana pancakes and is cheap. Another vote for Roy's, but it is on the other end of the $$ scale.

• bbstx
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks all for the additional information. I saw that the Toilet Bowl was closed, so I hadn't bothered looking at videos. WOW! That looks awesome. But I can see why the area would need protecting.

A friend who was in HI about 10 years ago, said the Iolani Palace was a huge disappointment. I think its lack of furnishings was what disappointed her. I know from reading online that they are trying to recover objects and furniture sold off at the end of the monarchy. What is the opinion of those of you who have seen it? Is it worth going to?

We are definitely going to the North Shore. We are toying with spending a night or two up there - but that is still iffy (making decisions in a group of 8 is slooooow work).

Gooster, I had to look up Okonomiyaki. Interesting. DN spent a semester in Osaka. I'll have to ask if he has had it.

• Bluebell66
    8 years ago

I am wrapping up 2 weeks on Oahu today - flying back home this afternoon. I stayed at a friends place in Ko'Olina (while they were on the mainland) on the west side near the Disney resort. Hanauma Bay for us last week was just okay. Not as good as when I was there 5 years ago. Someone else got it right when they said it's been loved to death, but it's still gorgeous. We got there by 7 am and got in free, as I don't think they were fully staffed yet - definitely go that early whether you get in free or not. The toilet bowl area is still closed. Fish action was decent but not great. Shark's Cove was great snorkeling but does not have a sandy beach - it's a skinny strip of rocks and the water is extremely shallow and rocky. You will want fins or water shoes. We ate at Roy's in Ko'Olina and it was very good with great service. The Hidden Honolulu bike tour was a lot of fun. My husband and I were the only ones on the tour and got a tour tailored to our interests. I personally would skip the beaches in Waikiki (unless you go to Ala Moana - gorgeous and less busy) and spend your time on North Shore or Windward beaches. Lanikai is wonderful. The Lagoons in Ko'Olina are so pretty and much tamer than the other beaches although they tend to get busy.One of my favorite things we did was go out on a tube boat thru Ko'Olina Ocean Adventures. (There are other companies that also offer this kind of trip.) The crew was stellar. We went to two fantastic snorkel spots and saw lots of ses life including turtles, and also saw dolphins, including several babies. We got to be in the water and watch from a distance as they swam by - we didn't swim with the dolphins, which is an activity I'm not in favor of. The boat captain also went pretty fast in order to kick up a wake for the dolphins to swim and leap in - that was also fun! I didnt get to Waimea but a local said not to swim in the falls as it has a dangerous bacteria or organism in them.that can make you sick. This same friend suggested seeing Waimea over Diamond Head if you are looking for a hike - it's prettier and lusher.

If I think of anything else I'll add it.

bbstx thanked Bluebell66
  • bbstx
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks, blue. The Hidden Honolulu bike tour sounds right up our alley! Using your hint about bacteria, I googled it and discovered that the problem is leptospirosis which is common in Oahu's freshwater pools and streams.

If you think of anything else or had a particularly memorable meal, please come back and share

• bbstx
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Does anyone have an opinion about the Royal Hawaiian luau, Aha'aina Luau? It is pretty pricey ($180), but if it is good, that's okay.

• bbstx
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Got back yesterday. We had a fabulous time. Each family had a car, so we didn't all have to go together if we didn't want to.

We liked:

Doris Duke's Shangri-La

Kamaka Ukelele factory tour - DD and DSIL bought one

House Without a Key

Mai Tais at the Royal Hawaiian

Nu-uanu Pali lookout

Giovanni's Shrimp Truck on the North Shore

BIL took his kids to Hanauma Bay while the rest of us went to Pearl Harbor. As predicted it was murky. The next day, they went to the lagoons at Ko'Olina and enjoyed that. Later in the week, all of the kids went on a snorkeling cruise. They saw dolphins, sea turtles, and other assorted fishes. It was run by Ocean Joy Cruises.

We went to the Dole Plantation. Reminded me of Cracker Barrel with a pineapple theme. However, I really enjoyed the demonstration garden which is just to the side of the main building and free!

If you've been to Pearl Harbor, you might remember one part of the film that talks about Schofield Barracks and mentions that all of the ammunition was locked up to keep it away from saboteurs. Until this trip, I never knew that BIL's dad was a gunner at Schofield Barracks on 12/7/41. Initially, he had no ammunition to return fire!

We did not do a bike tour or a luau, but our days were very full!

(If I can edit this, I'll add some photos from my phone,)

Mahalo nui loa to all of you who contributed your ideas and knowledge to helping us plan this trip!

• bbstx
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hula Show on Waikiki

• bbstx
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Gardens at Shangri-La

• OutsidePlaying
    8 years ago

So glad you had a great time, bbstx! Your sample photos are beautiful. Mahalo!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    8 years ago

So glad you had a good time...but how could you not? It's paradise! :)