SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hominamad

Is this a good spot for a (tart) cherry tree?

hominamad
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I absolutely love tart cherries - but they are next to imposible to buy near me, so I figured maybe I'll try to plant one myself.

First question, location... In the front of my house, I have an area that is around 15x15 grass that gets sun for a decent portion of the day. The thing is, there is a drainage tube in that section which pumps up water from my basement at times. I'm hoping this is a good thing. The grass that grows in this part of my lawn is the healthiest, thickest grass out of any part of my lawn - most likely due to the water it gets from the pump emptying there. I'm wondering if this means a fruit tree would also do well in this spot? I read that cherry trees don't like their roots to be too wet. I'm pretty sure that this area is well drained - I never notice puddles or water collecting there. How else can I tell if it is well drained or not? Will the extra water coming through here be helpful for a cherry tree or does this make it a bad spot?

Second question...variety: I'm trying to choose between the North Start Dwarf, Montgomrey, or the Surefire variety I read about here. Which of these produces the most tart cherry? Which is the hardiest, and is there one of these that would like the extra water more than another?

Edited to add: I should mention I live in the NYC metro area.

Thanks!

Comments (3)