SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_20167223

Craftsman Inspired/ Craftsman Light - Thoughts on this elevation?

User
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Thanks to everyone for feedback so far (it's been a while since I've been on). Brief backstory - we just closed on 5 acres of woods + pond, budget constrained (i.e., can't go crazy with facade, stone, etc). Looking to build something along these lines (http://houseplans.bhg.com/plan_details.asp?PlanNum=7759#Plan-Specifications) with front facing garage instead, mirror-imaged, however, prefer to go more Craftsman-esque, or even Modern with design. We found this facade, which is close to the elevations that would fit. I like the idea of it (although maybe swapping the red for a dark blue or medium gray?). How would you improve upon it? I know it doesn't really follow the Craftsman rules. I don't think it ever will, as we essentially want to build a rectangle with some visual interest. What would you change? Would you suggest something completely different? Apologies to whomever's house this is. I found it on a blog (and like it), but they didn't know where they had saved it from. Thank you.

For context, I'm including a picture of the approximate site of the house (although, it's in early spring). The woods drop off steeply to a picturesque pond. We'll clear only as much as we need to of the mature trees, but will (eventually) clear a lot of the mostly invasive honeysuckle underbrush to have a view of the pond in at least three seasons (located in Iowa).

Comments (14)