SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_1806966

Help in My Dining Room-Can't Get it Right!

User
8 years ago

Hi my houzz friends. I'm trying to work with 2 very different artists in one space in my dining room and having trouble making them work cohesively together. My husband loves to collect art and this is the only wall the large painting will fit on.

How can I make the 2 different styles of art work together through the right decor? Or will they just not work together? Can't change the table. Some thoughts below would be to...

*change the wall color? It is Relaxed Khaki by Sherwin Williams now-but thinking about painting the walls a more neutral color-less green undertones in it-perhaps accessible gray which is on the walls in the living room and kitchen or revere pewter by BM.

*change the ceiling color

*change dining chairs-thinking about getting new slipcovers made in a linen fabric similar to the bench or changing all the chairs to chairs from Restoration Hardware-similar to style of bench.

*change the rug or get rid of the rug? I know it is too small, but how are the colors?

*keep the bench in place of slipcovered chairs or move the bench to another wall or another room and do only chairs?

Dining Room · More Info

Dining Room · More Info

Dining Room · More Info

Comments (2.8K)

• avery2pt0
    8 years ago

Yep, you know what I think Karen....you've got this! ;-)))

btw, if you haven't already...definitely check out DrDeb's chair. Perfect pick for her vignette. :-)

User thanked avery2pt0
  • User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

drdeb, that is great news! Can you PLEASE send me the link to your thread? I'm not getting the notifications on my feed. I really want to see that grand chair that took 15 weeks to arrive!!

• Related Discussions

Help needed-contractor can't get the floor right! What to do?

Q

Comments (6)
    Thanks for everyone's input. Malhgold, my first thought was exactly yours: resand. But budge1 has a good point about the thickness of the floors. They're about 90 years old (assuming they're original to our NYC apt building). Sailormann, the spots are gone now, but the finish is very dull. The poly can says "semigloss" but the appearance is absolutely no gloss. Maybe contractor mixed it with something to make it dry faster? (I've been researching this online a bit.) I'll talk to him tomorrow. I'm all for non-confrontation and have no plans to berate him (throw him out the window, maybe, but not berate him ;-)). He's been consistently untruthful with me so I'm not optimistic about figuring out what's wrong.
    ...See More

Need Help/Ideas to put my TV on in my living room. Can't mount it.

Q

Comments (8)
    oops, Denita, no pics. here are a few from the Houzz store, just for brainstorming. there are lots of consoles that combine housing for the cable box et al with lots of extra cupboard space, so you should have plenty of options. Ikea makes a lot of great pieces in this particular category too, so you could look there. You could maybe even go superlong to take as much advantage of that wall as possible, especially if you go with white or something else that blends into the background a bit.
    ...See More

ready for living room overhaul but can't get over awkward room. help!

Q

Comments (13)
    Love the color of the walls and that wonderful paneled wall. I agree that the tv is in the right place on the paneled wall. Here is a floor plan which may work for you. Use the space that is not under the catwalk above as the seating area. This way the walk thru will be under the lower ceiling. Tuck a 87" wide sofa with a chaise end on the right of the fireplace with a console behind. Install wall sconces for lighting at the console instead of lamps. Lose the big lamp (it's ver nice) and use smaller scaled floor lamps. Get a matching 66" loveseat and angle off the sofa. this will create a more open layout and not so boxed off from the kitchen. Add two matching swivel chairs. The coffee table is a 48" diameter with four round ottomans or floor pillows. The rug is 12 x 15 so that it anchors the furniture and includes the paneled wall and the fireplace into one cohesive area. Along the staircase wall is 10" deep low cabinet or bookcase up to the ceiling for games, books, etc. Something like an Ikea Pax with frosted doors, simple and functional for storage. Hope this helps.
    ...See More

Still can't get it right!!! Please help!

Q

Comments (60)
    I found them sold individual on Art.com and everything over $150 is 50% off...so you could do 4 they are 20” squares..........but 9 is to big for over the console....and you pick the frame..they offer many Frame colors and you can pick your favorite palm designs mix and match...
    ...See More
  • User thanked drdeb1234
  • PRO
    Nandina Home & Design
    8 years ago

Our projects might inspire you!

Transitional Remodel · More Info

Classic Inspired · More Info

User thanked Nandina Home & Design
  • User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Yes, Nandina Home & Design. These projects do inspire me. Thanks :-)

• avery2pt0
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I like that 2nd DR project especially, Karen. Everything from the chairs to the ceiling to the styling....so pretty!

User thanked avery2pt0
  • User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Me too, Avery. Notice the Louis chairs with the slipcovered hostess chairs, and the ceiling looks like it is painted the same color as the walls. Very pretty, indeed :-)

• TraceyE
    8 years ago

The Chairs are beautiful, this is a lovely room

User thanked TraceyE
  • avery2pt0
    8 years ago

I agree again....Tracey it is such a lovely room! And yes, Karen, I did notice those elements, too! :-) BTW, Does that mean you're considering keeping the ceiling the same color? Or is a different treatment/color still a maybe?

User thanked avery2pt0
  • User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi Avery and Tracey. Funny we should meet on my "old thread" again...Lol

As you know, I'm still waiting on that small giclee by Andrada that I ordered from Etsy. I can't imagine why it is taking so long to arrive.

I'm not sure if you remember it, but the colors look pretty perfect in the renderings.

Once I receive the giclee, I will decide whether or not I want to commission Andrada to do a larger piece.

So, I guess I'm waiting to decide on the ceiling color once I have the new art. I hate to make any major changes until I'm certain about the direction I'm taking with the art.

Here is the giclee that I ordered and the rendering of it in a larger size below.

• TraceyE
    8 years ago

I have my fingers crossed that the giclee is as good looking in person as the image we are looking at :) because I love that rendering of your dining room!

User thanked TraceyE
  • User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks Tracey! I'm hoping the same :-) I just wish Andrada's shop would ship it. What in the world could be taking so long???

• avery2pt0
    8 years ago

Lol Karen, you're so right, it is funny, but always fun at the same time! I love meeting up with you & Tracey no matter "where"....;-)

And omg Karen, that image of Andrada's giclee is gorgeous (thanks for posting here)....colors look perfect for the DR. Fingers crossed it's as pretty in person and that it gets to you SOON. And yes, you're right...I do remember now that you were going to wait on the ceiling color 'til after the art decision.... Good call! :-)

User thanked avery2pt0
  • Linda
    8 years ago

Love the art Karen, hope it comes soon! I hate waiting for anything lol

User thanked Linda
  • User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks, Linda. How are things going for you? Have you settled into your new place, yet?

• Linda
    8 years ago

Hi Karen, nearly there with the house, just a few tweaks here and there.

It does feel like home which is strange for me. But I am loving it.

Thanks for asking : )

User thanked Linda
  • PRO
    Poovi Art
    8 years ago

You can add original Large Art piece for your wall ....for more artwork check my shop too...

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PooArtGallery?ref=profile_shopname

User thanked Poovi Art
  • babophz
    8 years ago

Linda, I cannot believe you're as good as finished settling in! I moved two and a half years ago and there are still things I have to sort out. Very well done, enjoy it!

User thanked babophz
  • drdeb1234
    8 years ago
    I'll see your 2.5 years bab, and raise you 11.
    I've been here almost 14 years!!!
    User thanked drdeb1234
  • Linda
    8 years ago

Bab I'm a bit of a perfectionist - I think that's what my psychiatrist called it lol.

I can't wait, I am a proper nightmare - I do feel sorry for my hubby as he could wait forever!

My crystal ceiling lights arrived yesterday and can't wait for the weekend for natural light so hubby can put them up. I'm sure he can't wait lol

i ordered some 'avengers' art today for the media room as I can't put the other media art up till it's here to do a gallery wall. : )

User thanked Linda
  • avery2pt0
    8 years ago

Linda, are you reading my mind right about now, lol!? You must be a perfectionist....because I have a feeling your home is looking amazing! ;-) Can't wait to see the crystal lights and Avengers art! :-)))

User thanked avery2pt0
  • avery2pt0
    8 years ago

@DrDeb....just realized that the chair Poonam Choudhary (the artist) posted above ⤴️ looks almost like your Hay chair! :-) (Love the art in that pic, too!)

User thanked avery2pt0
  • drdeb1234
    8 years ago

There is a resemblance. But my chair is WAY cooler!

User thanked drdeb1234
  • avery2pt0
    8 years ago

*That* it is DrDeb!

User thanked avery2pt0
  • Linda
    8 years ago

Vintage Italian Murano Glass Imported from Argentina, Long Green and Orange · More Info

Decorative Fused Glass Bowl, Emerald · More Info

Green Yellow Orange Flower Art Glass Swirl Platter · More Info

User thanked Linda
  • Linda
    8 years ago

User thanked Linda
  • User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

These glass bowls are all gorgeous, Linda. Thanks for sharing :-)

PS The small giclee is supposed to arrive today. Crossing my fingers that the colors work, so I can commission the artist to get started on a larger piece.

• PRO
    Limitless Walls
    8 years ago

A wall mural could be an option!

Inspirational Wall Murals · More Info

Inspirational Wall Murals · More Info

User thanked Limitless Walls
  • avery2pt0
    8 years ago

@Linda, so glad you're finally more at a "settled in" point....finding more Houzzing time and time to source beautiful things for your Houzz pals again! ;-) ....Agree with Karen....beautiful bowls!

@Karen, YAY! How exciting that you'll finally get to see it in person today....knowing how long this process has been for you too. You've had the patience of a saint. :-) So I'm truly hoping you love it just as much (or more) once you see it in person.....so Andrada can start with the commission process. Fingers and toes crossed!

Please refresh my memory (needs refreshing a lot these days)... have you decided on size yet?

User thanked avery2pt0
  • User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Avery, I'm keeping both my fingers and toes crossed that Andrada's piece has the right colors. If not...Oh no, I don't want to think about it. Can't imagine going back to the drawing board.

We decided on doing either two 48W by 40H panels or 1 large piece. She has the 2 options and we were going to finalize once we settled on the colors.

• Grace Reed
    8 years ago
    Karen, I think I've read all 2700+ comments. Wow! You're room is beautiful and its been fun following along. I really love the art piece you're waiting on. It will be interesting to see how it works with the other piece. I really liked Natalie's suggestions for the art and also the round backed chairs with your contemporary art. Did the chairs get put on the back burner for now?
    User thanked Grace Reed
  • Grace Reed
    8 years ago
    I really like the new pendants, too!
    User thanked Grace Reed
  • User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks so much for chiming in, Grace! I can't imagine how painful it must have been reading most of the comments. You must be a fast reader ;-)

Just in case you missed anything, I ordered a giclee from an artist named Andrada. Natalie and Less found her. It was supposed to arrive today out of Canada but didn't. Hoping it will be here soon. And, if the colors work as well as we think, I'm planning to commission her to do a larger painting for the back wall to complement the larger painting on the side wall. You are welcome to check out some of the recent renderings in my ideabook, "Dining Room Updated. "

I'm either going to have my current chairs (without slipcovers) refinished or plan to get Louis square back chairs with a distressed white frame. You can also see pics of these in my ideabook.

I do love the new pendents and am glad I made that change. Thanks again for weighing in so late in the game :-)

• tiffany66
    8 years ago

Karen, I’ve been
    watching the progress of your dining room from the sidelines. Nice project. I can sympathize with you trying to find just
    the right dining chairs and not break the budget.

Since one of your
    contenders is a Bernhardt chair, I suggest that you contact Lenoir Empire Furniture in North Carolina. (Linda in Cust.
    Service)

423-929-7283. http://www.lenoirempirefurniture.com/

Lenoir is a discounter of brand name furniture who has been
    around for at least 30 years. Their
    service is excellent. Per my
    recommendation, Houzzer, Stefanie, ordered her dining room Bernhardt cream
    sideboard from Lenoir at a great price.
    At least you will know the least expensive cost for those chairs to make
    an informed decision.

In the past I have previously spoken to Linda at Lenior who
    is very knowledgeable. She can tell you
    a lot about the chairs and fabric you saw in the local store which is helpful.
    However, I didn’t notice that chair style you saw in your local store in
    Bernhardt’s current catalogue.

I did a quick check in your area and saw the above pictured dining chairs,
    similar to the ones you like, are being sold in a consignment store near
    you. Set of six chairs including the
    table is $750. Might be worth a look. Since they are a consignment store perhaps
    they might consider selling you only the chairs. But at this price you can buy it all and sell
    off the table and recoup most of your cost. As of this morning, they still have the set.

Consignment Store ad: http://neworleans.craigslist.org/fud/5390940421.html

User thanked tiffany66
  • User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks so much for taking the time to read the comments and make suggestions, Tiffany. Those are beautiful chairs. Will check out the link to find out more.

• tiffany66
    8 years ago

At this price they would certainly be affordable. Looks like the fabric is cream or white moire and the wood white washed. Made by Davis Cabinet Co. that began in 1929 and is still around today.

Their website says you can determine the age of a Davis piece.

It is common practice at Davis Cabinet to stamp or mark individual pieces with the month and year of manufacture. However, the method has varied over the decades. Dates are most often on the inside casing of a piece. But, sometimes they are in other places, or not there at all.
    If the piece has drawers, take the top drawer completely out and set it on the floor. Look on the inside of the case itself. Use a flashlight if necessary. A four-digit number may be visible. If you cannot find a date there, look on the back side of the piece.

When you go to see the chairs take photos of your room to show them because they have designers. Additionally measure the height of your current seating to see that these are compatible with the apron on your table.

Store name is:

Once Upon a Time Consign and Design (850) 332-5265

EMAIL: Onceuponatime.pensacola@yahoo.com

Every success in finding chairs you love.

User thanked tiffany66
  • lessismoore
    8 years ago

Hi Tiffany! What a great find!

User thanked lessismoore
  • Linda
    8 years ago

Karen any update on the art? Had any other thoughts on the ceiling?

User thanked Linda
  • User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

No art, yet Linda! I can't imagine why it is taking so long. Less mentioned the possibility of it being held up coming through customs. It was supposed to be here by last Friday. I'm going to shoot Andrada another e-mail if it doesn't arrive by today. Waiting on everything else until I see the colors in the art. I don't want to make any more mistakes like I did with the bench. Knowing my luck, I would paint the ceiling silver, and then the existing finish would look better with the new art.

Thanks for checking. Enjoyed seeing the pics of your beautiful new home :-) Thanks for sharing. I bet you are really enjoying being settled.

• Linda
    8 years ago

Sounds like a great plan. Thanks for the lovely comments. Today I am in my reading nook, all cosied up with my throw and iPad, I could stay here all day. Going out for dinner with friends tonight, not looking forward to the cold weather lol. I miss my flip flops lol

User thanked Linda
  • Linda
    8 years ago

Aegean Home Accent Vases, Orange, 0'9"x0'1" · More Info

Because Vase Orange Heart · More Info

User thanked Linda
  • Linda
    8 years ago

Hi Karen, any update on the art? : )

User thanked Linda
  • Ann
    7 years ago

Hi Karen. Still looking for a way you might find me among all the Anns, I tried "following" you to see if that might work. Does that make it so you can find me?

User thanked Ann
  • kcooz07
    7 years ago

Hi Karen, how are you? Haven't been on here for a while...any updates on chairs/art?

User thanked kcooz07
  • User
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Hi Ann, I'm going to try to add you to my IB now, since you are following me.

Hi kcooz07. Thanks for checking in. I think you know that I changed the lighting and am getting ready to change the ceiling tray. I started working with a designer, so I made my IB private, but I would love you to be part of it, if you want.

Anyway, we are hanging a slightly metallic grasscloth wallpaper in a taupe color on the ceiling. I just got a call that the paper is in and am just waiting for the designer to set up a time for the installer to come out-hopefully next week.

I'm also getting some photographs framed and planning to do a gallery wall in the dining room of photos from our trip to Africa.

Last, I've narrowed it down to a few different chairs. Am planning to start a new IB with updated pictures once the grasscloth is hanging and the gallery wall is up. That could change the direction of the chairs.

Hope you are doing well. Thanks again for checking in.

• kcooz07
    7 years ago

The gallery wall sounds cool and looking forward to seeing the grasscloth tray, I do love grasscloth. Would love to be a part of your IB so see the upcoming changes and eventual chairs! I started following you.

User thanked kcooz07
  • Ann
    7 years ago

I love grasscloth too. When I was a kid in the 1960s, my mom hired a designer to work in a few rooms in our home. The designer suggested grasscloth in an entry and long hall. It was beautiful!!!!! I've never had it in a home since then but I just love it.

User thanked Ann
  • User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I'm really excited about the grasscloth, Ann, especially since it has a hint of metallic running through it. I think it will look nice. Can't wait!

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    7 years ago

Hey Karen D...I sure hope you can see the metallic on that grasscloth up on the ceiling....sometimes when it is installed on the ceiling you loose that metallic sparkle....is it done yet? Hope it is everything you hoped it would be:))

User thanked Home Interiors with Ease
  • User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hi Home Interiors with Ease,

The metallic grasscloth finally came in a few weeks ago, but the designer was having a hard time coordinating a time for installation. I teach part-time and am not available until afternoons. The installer wants to start in the morning bc he thinks the job will take approx. 4-6 hours. He is coming on June 3rd to do the installation.

I sure do hope we can see some of the metallic sparkle. If not, I think I will still like it, since it will lighten the space up, and the paper we chose was very pretty. From what I remember, when we held it up on the ceiling, you could still see some glimmer. I'll post some pictures when the job is done.

Thanks for checking in!

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor