SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fireduck

Kona Sharwil...wow!

fireduck
8 years ago

I have been growing avos for 40 years. I have downscaled a bit...and now I have just 20 trees and 16 varieties. I ate my first ever Kona Sharwil today. All I can say is wow! It is simply an awesome fruit. It is very good sized, peels easily, acts like it is a semi-dwarf tree, and the fruit is just so good! I am really glad I included this one in my collection.

Comments (34)

• mike (zone 9b San Francisco east bay)
    8 years ago

i'm jealous :P i just got my trees in the ground. i hope to get some fruit set next year.

• fireduck
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi M...I hope you got varieties that are somewhat cold tolerant. What did you plant? Ed of Somis

8 years ago

I have a mix . I grew a hass and a fuerte in a 24" box for 7 years i averaged 50 avo's a season they were my learning trees. I just sold those and going to try some more challenging ones.

Lamb, sir prize, reed, sharwil, janboyce, and while I was down there I grabbed a Carmen and gem

8 years ago

I'll grow them out in the box again for 4 years then decide which I will be planting in ground.

We have a lot of micro climates here and where I am it's been over 10 years since we had a hard frost .

• Jay Part Shade (Zone 10B, S21, Los Angeles)
    8 years ago

Hey Ed, congrats on the sharwil! How big is your tree? I'm thinking I'll let mine fruit next year, but I don't want to kill it. What's production like? Also, can you estimate the season for Sharwil? Thanks!

• fireduck
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi J, My fruit is starting to ripen now. This variety has a reputation for the fruit being able to hold ripe on the tree for a very long time. Many other avos have this ability (like Hass). But I will tell you...this fruit is special. It really tastes good! These trees are not big/aggressive trees. Mine is only about 8' tall....and 4-5 years old. A nice/manageable size. I probably have 35-40 fruit on board now. It is a winner.

• Jay Part Shade (Zone 10B, S21, Los Angeles)
    8 years ago

That sounds really fantastic -- and that's a lot of fruit! So ripening is about the same as lamb hass? And any way you could post a pic of your tree/fruit, would love to see how it looks :)

Also, any experience with Jan Boyce? I'd love to hear a roundup of your "keeper" varieties. I have two more spots for avocados. Right now, I have sharwil, Sir Prize, Lamb, and a 15 gal Hass and Mexicola which I may graft over. I'm thinking of a Reed and Jan Boyce, though I'm open to more unusual varieties.

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    8 years ago

My Sharwil is new this year, so I probably won't get any fruit from it for a while, but I'm happy I chose that variety! Jan Boyce is going to be grafted to my big seedling once she gets to a proper size. I heard those two are the best! Time will tell. Nice to read that Sharwil fruit is really good!
    Something in me still wants to try fruit from that seedling, but I guess the mystery will not be revealed. Two great varieties is much better than one unknown.

• TheNewLandscape.com
    8 years ago

I'm very happy to read your review of sharwil. Now i'm really looking forward to my sharwil to fruit !! - mine is still small, in pot, still debating if I should put it in ground later down-the-road, but for now the plan is for it to be in a large pot.

• TheNewLandscape.com
    8 years ago

Suzi - have a multigrafts onto the unknown tree :) that's be fun

• fireduck
    Original Author
    8 years ago

J...my "Keeper" avos are everything I grow except for the Bacon. It is a "fair" tasting avo...but a good pollinizer (B). My personal favorites are: Sharwil, Pinkerton, Lamb Hass, and Gwen. I have 2 Queen that I grafted (now in the ground)...that I am anxious to taste. My Fuerte is pretty good for an early variety too.

• mlw41186
    8 years ago

Mike, I've been looking for a GEM. Where did you purchase yours? When you mentioned that you bought them when you were "down there" I assume you meant So Cal, which is where I am, so it would be perfect for me. Thank you.

8 years ago

i picked them up at Persea tree nursery fallbrook , they are not open to the public but will sell single trees to the public. you just need to call him and schedule a time when someone is at the nusery to buy from.... http://clonalavocados.com/purchasefreshavocados.html

all the trees i picked up are doing great, tripled in size the the few months i've had them. growing out in 24" box at the moment on a regular feeding sched. on my next trip i want to pick up another sharwil, reed, and gem that will go directly into the ground.

• mlw41186
    8 years ago

Thank you Mike. I just emailed Persea Tree Nursery to set up an appointment. In the past, I called them and was told to email my request but I didn't hear back from them. I hope I have better luck this time.

Your trees are doing great. I envy your collection.

• Nick (9b) Modesto Area
    8 years ago

I just got put on the list for a Sharwil when it becomes available. I'm looking forward to growing this nice variety.

• fireduck
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Baby G....repot that tree in a pot that you think is way too big! Bigger is better. Don't get too tricky and add stuff like gravel or whatever. Use a quality potting mix, add about 1/3 cactus mix (helps drainage), and provide a very large pot with drainage holes. The first month it needs to have mild sun. Disturb the roots as little as possible. Keep mix moist, but not waterlogged. you will be fine. PS That terra cotta pot in your pic is way too small.

• Baby G (USDA:10a, Sunset:21&23 SoCal-NE. Mt Washington, Lo-Chill: 200-400 Hrs, So
    8 years ago

Thank you so much fireduck... that helps alot!

That bottom orange pot (plastic) came with the tree - it's one inside the other. I've heard of people doing this to improve drainage, but I'm not exactly sure how it works. Do you know?

• Baby G (USDA:10a, Sunset:21&23 SoCal-NE. Mt Washington, Lo-Chill: 200-400 Hrs, So
    8 years ago

I'm reading up on Sharwil, and learning that it has a very low fruit set. It apparently is not a variety that will self pillinate. Interestingly, I read in one article that temperature may be the culprit. The temp must be 60 degrees every night and above 77 every day for the female to even set fruit, and stay warm to keep it on the tree. We average just above that at night June-Sept here in Los Angeles, thankfully.

****I'd love to know which A varieties are setting out pollen (male flowers) at the same time Sharwil is opening female flowers. **** Does anyone know of a bloom sequence chart for avocados?

• socalgrown
    8 years ago

Nick, where are you located? I know a Home Depot here in So Cal that has some Sharwil Avocado trees.

• fireduck
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I can only speak for my one Sharwil tree. Fruit set has been good (it is loaded again now with flowers)...and the taste is great! That being said...I do have many varieties in the area. It is a winner in my book!

• socalgrown
    8 years ago

That's great to hear Fireduck. Thanks for the info. Hope mine sets fruit soon. Baby G, yeah Home Depot in Pomona had a few left.

• Nick (9b) Modesto Area
    8 years ago

I'm in the Modesto Area.

8 years ago

Hey fire duck what is the harvest time for your lamb hass and sharwil? I'm in sf but I've dropped a few large lamb hass fruit. Which I thought wouldn't be ready till summer or 15 months..... Other verieties that haven't fruited yet are janboyce, reed, Carmen, gem, sir prize...

• fireduck
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi Mike...my Lamb usually is ready in late June and goes through November or later. The Sharwil is earlier. Keep in mind....the best place to store your fruit is on the tree. I only pick when I need some, or I plan giving some away. PS You know sometimes you will get multiple blooms...and different ripening dates off the same tree (usually like 3 weeks or so apart)

• Terry Lee
    7 years ago

Can someone help me? Where can I get a Kona Sharwil tree near Orange County, CA? I've called 5 nurseries near us and none of them can get it.

7 years ago

I have a sharwil on zutano rootstock. What size should I expect this tree to grow to?

• dretutz
    6 years ago

>Terry Lee: Laguna Hills Nursery in Santa Ana has Sharwells now. They are at 17th St and Tustin Avenue across from Benjies Deli. Gary, the owner, is a prize with lots of knowledge.

• junk4us
    6 years ago

Dretutz do you think laguna hills nursery still has sharwill? I will be in SoCal in 2 weeks. Silly me, i thought laguna hills nursery was in laguna hills and couldn't make it yo santa ana.

• dretutz
    6 years ago

Call Gary to find out. Phone is (714) 542-5600

• Terry Lee
    6 years ago

One of the nurseries in Fallbrook, CA had them a while ago. I think it was Maddock Nursery. Or maybe Atkins.

Thanks, Baby G. I ended up ordering one from Epicenter Nursery in Nor. Cal.

Starting to see new growth now, but a lot of little holes in some new leaves and some shriveling new growth. No bugs that I can see, but maybe I didn't notice before.

• junk4us
    6 years ago

I got a Reed from laguna hills. Gary was super busy (and super nice). They didn't have any more sharwils. Those sold like hotcakes.

Epicenter never got back to me when I contacted them in early spring. Fallbrook is too far south for me. Laguna hills nursery should get more sharwils in early spring.

• Chester Soboleske
    4 years ago

I

Sponsored