SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
meganmwendland

Kitchen Layout Design - suggestions wanted before finalizing plans

Megan W
8 years ago

Here is our tentative floor plan. It will be a zero entry, one story ranch with a walkout basement and a 3 car garage. We currently have a 2 year old and plan to have at least 1-2 more so I do like a semi-open floor plan but also like a little definition. I want it to work for our family now AND in the future. We also want it to be handicap accessible. One of my biggest debates right now is with the arched curtain walls defining the entry, kitchen, great room, and breakfast nook. I like symmetry and i think the island needs to be centered in the curtain wall when looking into the kitchen from the great room. To do this I think I would pull the entry arch into the great room about 4 feet. This would make the hallway more part of the entry and feel more hidden. I would also plan on extending the wall with the fridge and adding cabinets to make it match up with the extended entryway arch. I think this would center the island and create a little more definition. The island will be 10'x4' and will have sink, dishwasher, and I'm hoping to be able to have 4 chairs for casual dining. Kitchen (to the arch) will be 15'x17', breakfast nook 13'x15', and walk in pantry 5'x10'. I thought the layout did a good job of separating work zones but would like others opinions and experiences. I think there is maybe too much room between the island and cooktop? What would be a good distance? I requested the sink off center and next to the dishwasher (and close to the breakfast nook) to make that side of the island the "cleanup zone." This, I thought, would leave more uninterrupted countertop to the left for "prepping zone" (which is between the sink and fridge) and across from the stove top "cooking zone". I am willing to sacrifice symmetry here for functionality. The pull out garbage will be in the far left side of the island. My husband and I both love to cook and he loves to grill and use the smoker outside as well. We will have a grill, sink, mini fridge, and countertop with prep area out on the covered porch so that will cut down on the traffic from kitchen to the outdoor cooking area. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Comments (6)