SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nicholas_johnson73

Advice on Improved Backyard Drainage

Nicholas Johnson
8 years ago

I have an area in my backyard that collects water during heavy rain and caused issues during the Memorial Day storms here in Texas (see pic #3). Most of the water from the backyard collects in this one spot behind a carport. You can see in pic #1 a 2" pipe was installed to drain away the water but it isn't large enough during really heavy rains and easily becomes clogged with leaves and other debris. I also noticed that there is some additional run off from my neighbors yard. There was some stone being used as a barrier but the soil underneath has eroded away.

I've spoken to few companies and the plan I like the best is to tear out the concrete collection area and install a custom concrete catch basin with (2) 4" pipes leading out to the street. I'm not sure if 2 pipes might be overkill but seeing how bad it was, I don't think I can go wrong over-sizing the system.

After thinking about it, I think i can do the work myself but I am uncertain about the catch basin. I could buy some pre-made basins but to use two pipes I am thinking I would need 2 basins "stacked" one in front the other? I'm not sure I like the aesthetics. Instead, I am thinking I could put down a "french drain" / "shallow dry well" behind the gate with the gravel expose to the surface, which would let it would collect surface and subsurface water. The small french drain would then connect to non-perforated pipe to take the water to the street. That area doesn't look very good as the grass doesn't grow due to the water collecting there and I think the gravel might actually improve it's appearance.

Here are my questions:

• Will using a "french drain" instead of a catch basin work?
  • Are there any concerns with the collection area being close to the patio and carport? A lot of info about dry wells say to put them 10 feet from structures.
  • How deep would the french drain / gravel need to be?

Thank you for your time!

Comments (7)