SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
catherinet11

Questions about drain clean out and sink venting

catherinet
8 years ago

I have a couple questions that may or may not be related.

We have a double sink in the kitchen. Sometimes the one side drains very slowly. I used to think it had something to do with a non-working disposal, but hubby removed it and it still starts to back up sometimes when I'm running water through it. But.........I'm discovering that it seems to only back up when I have the other sink full of water. I wash on one side, and rinse in the other sink. If I unplug the washing side just for a second, the backed-up water in the other sink goes down. So I'm thinking we could benefit from one of those vents you put in after the trap, under the sink.

But......not far from that kitchen sink is a small bathroom that we usually use just for storage and also have a utility tub in there that we use. There is a shower stall that we've never used. (Use it for storage too). The toilet and the utility tub both drain VERY slowly. There is a roof vent over this bathroom. I don't know if this is somehow connected to the one kitchen sink draining slowly???

In the basement, under that bathroom, there is a drain clean out. I'm wondering what we should try first.........trying to clean out that clean-out? make sure the roof vent is open? Install a little air vent under the sink?

Any guidance would be appreciated!

P.S. Is it some kind of problem to never use that shower in that backroom? Should the tubing involved with that just, by gravity, always stay empty?

Thanks!

Comments (13)