SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cmcole01

My Dahlia stems are very weak/rubbery - HELP!!

cmcole01
8 years ago

i'm hoping some of you with dahlia experience can give me some advice. The centerpiece of my largest pot are beautiful dinner plate Dahlias. The problem is that the stems keep collapsing and seem very weak. a few of the flowers have stayed upright long enough for them to get very large before the stems collapse, but more and more frequently now the stems are collapsing with smaller or hardly any bloom on the bud and the stems feel rubbery. what do i need to do? the plants themselves are staked and i've even tied them further to the stake as they've grown. should i be cutting some of the stems back to reduce the number, use different fertilizer, etc? i have been fertilizing about once every 2 weeks or so with the Miracle Grow Bloom Booster that was recommended to me. Is this the right fertilizer to keep the dahlias strong and blooming? is 10-52-10 (i've read that the fertilizer needs to be very low in nitrogen - is this one too high)?

We have had a few heavy thunderstorms of late - don't know if the heavy rain or wind could make this worse. FYI - first pic was taken several days before the other 3 (which were just taken this morning).

I've also included a pic of the full pot from a week or 2 ago (with dahlia's upright) so you can see the total environment. please help!!

Comments (19)