SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beesneeds

growing asparagus from seed questions...

beesneeds
8 years ago

I didn't really find the information I was looking for, and hoping someone can help me out.

Early this spring, I started some Mary Washington asparagus from seed. I had gotten the seed in trade, and figured why not? I'm a patient gardener.

So I started the seed in toilet paper tubes.. that went pretty ok, figured I might get 15-20 plants... well then later spring came, the asparagus went outside, and the darn things died off then all came back with a vengeance! After a while, those trays were looking a bit congested, so I transplanted them all carefully into 3" wide by 3.5" deep square pots- and ended up with 48 pots!

And now for about the last month, they have been growing away in these pots... now the questions come...

Can I overwinter the asparagus in these pots to plant in next spring? Should I plant them in later this summer when I actually have more time to prep up the "wild bed" on the back 40 where I want to put them? Should I repot them into bigger pots to overwinter them till they are first year? crowns next spring? If so, what size pots should I upgrade to?

I'm not putting these into a regular asparagus bed- thats for regular crowns of a more male breed in another years building/gardening. These seedlings I want to put into a wild bed hedgerow where I already have other wild asparagus growing. Yes, I realize that's a lot of work to monkey around with trying out a wild bed, but these seeds were more of an experiment because I had the seed more than anything else, so I want to continue the experiment.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022