SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melanie_mueth

Facade renovation: Making the most of a 90s subdivision garage house

Metro East
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Very overwhelmed! Want to update our curb appeal. Budget 30k but happy to spend closer to 20.

Yes this is a 90s subdivision blah "garage house" but we're staying so I'm trying to make the most of it.

Below are pics: Present state (last winter), architect ideas that I'm not thrilled with, with Amarr Classica doors in terratone ($4k), and with trim darkened. Would you keep the light/dark contrast of trim and windows or go dark on everything? Not a lot of contrast/interesting features on this house. My preference is modern, simple, clean lines but not stark.

In scope: landscaping, adding step to front landing/extending, changing column to more craftsman style, staining concrete driveway, new garage and landscape lights, etc. Painting brick? Maybe someday. Not now.

I consulted a landscape designer and am getting his opinion this week, but in the meantime, what would YOU do?

Comments (72)

• Metro East
    Original Author
    8 years ago

lukki - Thanks for the compliment. I actually do like the front of the house. I just think it needs a boost, and I wish the front entrance were emphasized. The whole project started by me wanting nicer garage doors and to fix the step to the front entry which is too high. That morphed into wondering about painting trim and windows, and if you're going to add a step then why not improve the walkway, etc etc. I really don't want to get too crazy, just want it pulled together. Point well taken about the landscaping though. I agree getting that right will help a lot. That is not my forte; I just don't have a green thumb.

• palimpsest
    8 years ago

It's essentially a neo-Eclectic contemporary house, and it's not easy to turn it into anything else.

I know this goes into another direction and veers away from what you were originally asking but you did say your taste veers toward modern, simple clean lines, and not stark.

Anything Craftsman at all is not really modern or clean lined. I think the double hung windows look wrong on the house, they really should be casement. I redid the windows on the front façade, added one over the garage, squared up the arched portico beam and replaced the Doric column with a square post. I don't know if the newer front door is your addition or not, but it's not particularly "correct" for the house, either, and not clean lined, sorry. I also narrowed the existing driveway and put a planting strip in between the two sets of doors.

Metro East thanked palimpsest
  • Related Discussions

Need assistance on updating our late 90s home exterior.

Q

Comments (57)
    House color should probably match the siding color Romabio offers these as standard, though they can be applied in a solid color. It might be interesting to have some of your brick show through the limewash to add texture to the house. Not totally see thru but enough so that it might hide any dirt that accumulates on the surface. Maybe upgrade the garage door in the future.
    ...See More

Need to update this 90s exterior and increase the curb appeal! Help!

Q

Comments (8)
    I don't know the purpose of that arch. It was originally designed that way, and yet nothing goes there. There is an inset shower window but up under there, so maybe the thought was to hide it from the curb. But, I had not considered actually putting something there - a fountain or something sculptural would be quite lovely there. And, I am thinking about a single door with sidelights too. I was just looking a pictures of a house with a wood and glass door, and maybe doing wood on the garage to complement it, though not sure about adding wood to the facade.
    ...See More

Buying a old 90s house and need advice on how to start

Q

Comments (14)
    Thank you @arcy_gw. It is 1996 :) I am not familiar with houses always gone with builder built ones ready made. And I am now thinking of going from 2010s house to 1996 .... I am doing something out of my comfort zone and maybe can't express it well. I find the style old - it has sunken living, family and basement etc. But it has been renovated from inside with white cabinets, beautiful white stone in kitchen etc. It is not my style but its pretty, sophisticated neat look. In this house - majorly I would like to improve the backyard. Backyard is still ok. You see there is this green level area in the picture. Hmm.. even that has 1 inch up and down...not sure why. Do you see the brown line which is the fence with a deep 2 feet to 5 feet at some place land gone to waste with just useless vegetation. Can't i fill the dirt and level it and get a decent size backyard i am only concern about the backyard.....the windows etc may or may not come... The family room has 2 storey windows..i will change my life style and enjoy quite mornings there ..maybe.
    ...See More

Help us modernize our 90s stucco home

Q

Comments (19)
    You have a classic house with a lot of classic details. It sounds to me like "modernize" means to remove the classic details. However, your house is nicely done. The details are subtle, they add interest. If you remove some of them, like the window headers, you'll still have the columns at the corner of the rightmost wing. Modern windows and a modern door will fight with the columns and the fundamental style of your house. You won't get a modern look, you'll get a mishmash. Those headers and the columns, when badly done are a McMansion cliche. But yours are nice and cohesive. One of the hallmarks of a McMansion is style incoherence. That's what you'll be creating by trying to "modernize". That hedge is doing nothing for your landscape. I'd transplant them to the lot line, where a hedge makes sense and invest in a better landscaping plan. Keep the house as is. As the old saying goes: if you can't be with the one you love, honey, love the one you're with. Don't try to make it into something it's not.
    ...See More
  • Metro East
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Beverly, thanks for your input. The reason I went from Clopay to Amarr (after getting quote from Hormann - too pricey), is that the windows on the Amarr are bigger. The Classica is in three sections not 4, so the windows are a third rather than fourth of the door. See the arched windows I posted above from Amarr. Do you like either of them? I toyed with faux wood for a long time but, in photos on my house, just didn't care for it. Yes it goes with the front door. I like the taupey gray that pulls the roof color. I think the faux wood doors look great on houses with siding or other brown tones though, but don't see it on mine.

Regarding a pergola/trellis, it's a look I love on garages with siding but can't find many examples on houses like mine with all brick. It could add a lot though and would certainly break up the expanse above the garage. I found one photo:

• User
    8 years ago

as an afterthought, if you are not liking all the brick, you could add some vinyl siding on a section and/or over the garage for interest (no green thumb here either) ;c)

Metro East thanked User
  • Metro East
    Original Author
    8 years ago

palimpsest - I really appreciate your photoshopping skills and time. It is what it is. I greatly prefer casement windows actually. My worry about them is how they look when open -- we are windows open people whenever possible. So they'll stick out - won't obstruct anything per se, but maybe won't look nice either. Also screams "unsecured house!" lol.

The front door was indeed an addition by me but it was a number of years ago an I just went with what I liked without thinking of what fit. I'm not at all opposed to changing it out.

You did all the changes with cream trim for contrast…what if it's all darker like the garage door color I started with? Will it look too monotone/boring?

• palimpsest
    8 years ago

I just captured the trim color from the eaves and used that. I think you could change the trim color to something dark, if you wanted. It won't highlight the entrance though.

Metro East thanked palimpsest
  • Metro East
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Helpful to see the driveway narrower and the strip down the middle...does anyone know if this could actually be done to the existing driveway?
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    8 years ago

Here are pictures of wall pergolas on brick buildings. Design of element should not be overly heavy. The nice thing about Clopay doors is that if you need a replacement panel for a door you purchased 25 years ago, Clopay can supply it. That is not the situation with the other door makers.

Metro East thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • User
    8 years ago

After what I saw the landscapers do to our yard last year, I do believe anything is possible.

Metro East thanked User
  • bpath
    8 years ago

The grass strip down the middle does look nice! It could also be hardy plants, like Stella d'oro daylilies or the like; whatever, be sure and put a little walkway up at the top where the car door would be, where that driver would always be stepping.

Here's a layout I saw similar to what I was thinking. I can't find any decent photos I like, though, so maybe it's not a popular Idea...

Metro East thanked bpath
  • awm03
    8 years ago

This isn't to make recommendations. It's just to give you an idea how landscaping will soften the house lines, how pulling the eye forward with landscaping gives depth to an otherwise flat facade, how darkening the driveway makes it recede, and maybe repeating the arches with the garage doors might look nice (although I still like the ones you chose).

I would recommend removing the tree in front of your pretty arched window. When leafed out, the tree just hides a nice feature. Maybe frame that section of your house with a climbing hydrangea or some kind of climbing greenery. I think the tree needs to go out somewhere in the front yard away from the house to pull the landscape forward. Also, the exterior lights need more size or contrast or sparkle.

Wasn't sure if the sidewalk would be part of your driveway treatment, so I left it alone.

• Metro East
    Original Author
    8 years ago

awm…fabulous! thank you so much! That helps an awful lot. I agree that the tree in front of the window will go. I was on the fence about putting another tree in front but now see how much it draws the eye forward. Re-doing the walkway involves lengthening it and I think it will have the effect that you created. I wasn't sure about darkening the driveway, since then it stands out against the concrete street and sidewalk, but in your rendering looks nice. Wow, awesome! I'm excited!

• emmarene9
    8 years ago

I think you need an additional landing for your entrance that is as wide as the first landing. At least five feet deep. It would bring the entrance forward. I think you would benefit from doing away with the current path to the door.You will be changing the step so I suggest a total redo. The current landscaping is not doing you a lot of good. There is the matter of silly wavy borders. Then there are the rocks. I like boxwood but it seems as if some are planted too close to the house. I hope your designer has included landscape lighting.

One thing no one has mentioned is the possibility of replacing your current column with a brick column. I am neither for or against the idea. I just think you should consider everything.

When I first saw that craftsman column I was surprised. It seemed so out of place. Then Beverly came by mentioning that it was a good idea. If she and your architect both think it is a good fit then I now I reconsider. Maybe you could ask your architect why he thinks it would be an improvement.

There is one thing that I really dislike in the plan. I do not like the planter box as he positioned it. I believe it could interfere with the view of the entrance.

You have a lovely home

Metro East thanked emmarene9
  • Metro East
    Original Author
    8 years ago

emmarene - thank you. Agree with adding more depth to the entrance. I was not sure about the need to re-do the whole walkway so your opinion is helpful. I never cared for the maintenance aspect of mulch but it looks much better than rocks (maybe a mixture is ok?)

The architect went with craftsman-style improvements just to do something cohesive. He saw my front door and asked if I like this style and went with it. I also do not like the planter box stuck out in the middle of the yard how he did it. I wanted a stone (brick?) base on a new column, and then have it extend forward in sort of a low garden wall lining that side of the walk for 4 or 5'. But he said that the current concrete entrance may not support the weight of a stone base. But I think you could use a veneer product. Don't know if the low wall idea makes sense. I visualize sitting on it and watching folks walking through the neighborhood (it's an active place). I do like the long shadow planter he spec'd.

• Metro East
    Original Author
    8 years ago

For Beverly and others that suggested wood-look doors, here are samples:

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    8 years ago

This stain for this door is too dark, and selections like this are best made in concert with all the rest of the items to be selected. Frames around windows should be painted bronze if you decide to go in this direction.

• busybee3
    8 years ago

I really like what amw has done... changes with landscaping and garage doors, trim and walkway would do so much to improve the exterior!

having had stained real wood garage doors on a previous house, I wouldn't recommend them unless you're the type of person who can't enough of home maintenance projects! I think a grayish color with a similar trim color as shown would look very nice!

I would significantly increase the size of the garage lights...

i wouldn't add a strip in driveway... you would have to irrigate it or regularly water it... and it would limit parking options on your driveway if people are visiting, etc and people are bound to be driving over it through the years... I have learned through the yrs some people have real challenges just backing up in a straight line!!

I would keep current door and sidelights/transom but would probably paint the front door to a deeper and/or brighter color....

• Kippy
    8 years ago

I love AWM's garage doors. I would not worry about the stamped driveway, that would blow your budget and having that strip cut out would look nice but would not be a happy planter and you would probably find that you wished you could put the concrete back with in a year.

I would look to add to the landing of the entry door way, paint the ceiling in a light color to reflect some light back on your pretty door. Move the arch forward (I would probably add a second post to give it some drama. And then add a second step on the way to the walk. I love some of the landscape ideas and think they would work well. I also "painted" the brick a with a wash to make the door stand out. but that might not bee needed once the ceiling and landing changed.

Sorry about the quickie PS job, I have to get going this morning

• Metro East
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Beverly- I agree it's too dark. Everything does need to be chosen to work together. Making those choices is my problem!

busybee and kippy - I agree about the center grass strip. I think it would not end up with full lush grass, or plantings, without a lot of help. With our climate (midwest) it would be unhappy and there is no good way to irrigate it except by hand. I agree that real wood doors are a no-go, again partially due to our harsh seasonal climate.

I wouldn't stamp the driveway, but rather stain it darker. The landscaper says he can do this and it's not too costly. Again, will see his proposal on Tuesday.

The roof over the front door area is already white. Moving the arch forward and extending that roof area I bet will be costly but I like the idea. I know we'll extend the landing. I like another column (prefer a square one rather than the colonial round). Will discuss with the designer.

What does everything think of a more contemporary looking pergola like this one? Is a pergola too cottage-y for the style of house? I like the sort of industrial looking brackets.

• Metro East
    Original Author
    8 years ago

keeping with the arch motif - how about these lights? They are one step bigger than the current ones. Arroyo Craftsman Evergreen EB12. Pricey at 514 each x 5, but I might be able to find something similar for less.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    8 years ago

Agree with Pal and others who suggested clean, modern lines and staying away from Craftsman additions which really don't work with the house. I think the walkway should follow that idea as well.

Metro East thanked cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
  • busybee3
    8 years ago

I personally wouldn't go with a pergola above your garage..... I think I would go 2 sizes larger for the garage lights...

Metro East thanked busybee3
  • Metro East
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Busybee - Current lights are about 13" high x 8" d x 8 wide. Next step larger in Arroyo brand is 15.13" x 14 d x 12 w. Two steps bigger is 19.5 x 19.5 x 16 wide. I will have to measure the space outside and visualize the biggest ones...

• User
    8 years ago

Would also do an engaged column opposite the single porch column. (Engaged, as up against the brick, less width than the existing column----how much less you'd either have to play with or get an architect to spec it according to the height, width, and proximity to the other one, as well as the mass of the brick wall it would engage.)

• jlc712
    8 years ago

Are your windows vinyl or wood trim on the exterior? Can they be painted? I would make sure they can, before moving ahead with your plans for darker trim and garage doors. The darker garage doors with windows will look great, but you may need to stick with light trim if the windows have to stay white.

I am not a fan of adding craftsman details or lighting to your house. I think your house is is more neo-Georgian, but it sounds like you want to take it in a more simple, straight line, transitional direction.

I like the ideas of extending out the front entry steps; replacing the round column with a larger, square column; staining the driveway; bringing the sidewalk forward and extending it to the road; adding landscaping and low brick walls.

I think the front gable with the double garage would look nice with a window, but since that's not practical, what about a simple, large, tall decorative gable vent to replace the little oval one?

http://www.gable-vents.com/vertical-louver-w-trim-25-x-37-x-2.html

• Metro East
    Original Author
    8 years ago

jlc712 - the windows are vinyl. A painter I've used several times and who does quality work says they can be painted and it holds up fine. Of course, I can't just paint the front ones, they need to be painted all around the house. For me if comes down to whether it's worth it to paint them or incur the significant cost of just replacing them (to casements or double hung). Don't think my budget can absorb that at this time.

Could you give me an example of a light you would suggest that goes with the house?

Vent is a good idea. I hate the idea of another fake / nonfunctional thing up there, but it does seem plain otherwise. Scale would be better with a bigger one.

• jlc712
    8 years ago

Progress Lighting P5999-31 1-Light Large Lantern 11" with Water Patterned Glass · More Info

Artcraft Lighting Hampton Transitional Outdoor Hanging Light X-KB5778CA · More Info

Dunnmore Wall Lantern (5-3453-BK) · More Info

I like the last one the most.

• TxMarti
    8 years ago

What about refacing the center gable wall with a stone - white would push it forward visually.

Metro East thanked TxMarti
  • Metro East
    Original Author
    8 years ago

jlc - thanks for the light samples.

Thanks Marti for your photoshopping. I like the stone accents. Maybe instead of that whole section, could I use that stone to frame/highlight the windows? And then maybe add it to the base of the sections in between the garage doors? Would that look silly? And maybe incorporate it into the new front entrance area/low wall that I want to do on the left side. Could you photoshop something like that?

• lazy_gardens
    8 years ago

Hmmmm .... keeping the budget low

I agree that you can't shove it into "craftsman": when it's midwestern semi-colonial transitional something. But using bits of craftsman styling because they reflect the shape of an arch is OK.

Your "curb appeal" should start at the curb ...

1 - Make the entry way more prominent with a short brick wall with
    lighted posts, a brick post and wood rail fence, or some evergreen hedging to
    create a small courtyard effect.

Make the courtyard all the way out to the place where the little lights are, and straight over to the driveway ... making the entry look more important will balance the massive garage wall-o-doors.

Your foundation planting needs to be much larger and start much closer to the curb - the green meatballs are not doing anything for the house. . Again, adding visual weight to the left side.

DELETED about tree, because you say it's going. A couple of small trees (whatever blooms in spring, has good fall foliage and can survive - magnolia? Japanese maples? anything but that danged Bradford pear) outside the courtyard would look good.

Landscape the courtyard to look good from the front door and front window well as the street ...

2 - the garage doors with the arched windows, but lighter. As a quick fix, faux wood stain or just paint and faux windows ...

3 - darker trim. The skinny stripe of white along the eaves is strange.

4 - Bigger lights - the black squares

5 - A faux window above the garage door to make it look like part of the house?

===========

Rough hack ... red is the extent of the new entry area

• Metro East
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Lazyg, thanks for your suggestions and mockup. Lol on the dreaded Bradford--that's what was half dead and removed from the front yard last fall.
    The courtyard area is good. Interestingly, that's what the landscaper suggested when we were throwing out ideas in our initial meeting. We'll see if it's in his proposal on Tuesday.
    Agree the green meatballs are underscaled for the area. I thought I was being neat by keeping them clipped small, but now see the err of my ways.
  • alohamillion123
    8 years ago

Can someone mock up some plain decorative gable trim? The space above the garage is screaming for something and I think adding the pergola is beautiful but it may just accentuate the blank space above it.

Here are some ideas: [https://www.houzz.com/photos/gable-trim-phbr0lbl-bl~l_40109[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/gable-trim-phbr0lbl-bl~l_40109)

• TxMarti
    8 years ago

Hi MetroEast. I just popped in for a moment before I have to leave. I'll try for a mock up when I get back. Could you find a picture with the kind of wall you want? I do think the more you do to the garage, the more prominent it will look.

• Claire Buoyant
    8 years ago

I agree that your driveway is a huge distraction. Here are two different treatments, both visually pleasing.

Palm Beach Estate · More Info

Metro East thanked Claire Buoyant
  • Claire Buoyant
    8 years ago

Another example. I've seen this treatment in a magazine, I think, but the scale was much larger, 12-15" diagonal squares. It was beautiful!

Kettelkamp & Kettelkamp Landscape Architecture · More Info

This photo reminds me of hair transplant plugs☺

• TxMarti
    8 years ago

• Metro East
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks Marti....meh, not sure about that look.

Claire, I love the green/permeable driveways. I don't think it will translate well to our needs though. For one thing we'd need to tear out the driveway and start over which would blow the budget. Also I just see clumps of dead weedy grass for lack of proper irrigation. Haven't seen this done in out geographic area, even high end homes. Love the look though.
  • Metro East
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    On second thought Marti, what you did is growing on me....
  • TxMarti
    8 years ago

LOL, yes, it is growing on me too. I didn't think I'd like it but I do. Also, on the way to town today, I noticed a house with wide trim around their windows and thought of you.

• emmarene9
    8 years ago

This is what I meant when I was talking about another landing and one path to the sidewalk and another to the driveway. As opposed to what many of us have, a mish mash of concrete because it was not done all at the same time. I think a path to the door, even if it rarely gets used, will draw the eye to the garden side of your yard and away from massive driveway. Here is another pic

Forgive my lack of skill. It is just to show you how I think an additional landing would make this area more important. The green is used to indicate planting area, thats all.I did not intend for the landing to extend that far down.

• Metro East
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Emma- I get your idea. My neighbor did something like this and it does look good. Agree with the additional landing - that's definitely going to happen. I'm going to snap a photo of what my neighbor did and post.

bpath - glad you like the stone. It's a definite possibility. I also found a product called Decoramould, decorative pieces that look like cast concrete which can be used to frame windows and doors. There are all kinds of shapes and even can be made to match the radius of any arc. Trying to post a sample photo but computer's not cooperating.

• palimpsest
    8 years ago

To me I think the stone around the garage portion of the house looks like the driveway is creeping up onto the house, or that it's exposed foundation. I know it's very popular to do a high water pants band of stone around the bottom of the house, particularly starting in the period that this house was built, but I think the house is kind of lucky to have escaped it the first time. Random stone put here and there as a decorative applique of sorts has no real "structural" basis, so it doesn't make a lot of sense if you think about it. It's actually completely appropriate to your style of house since so many people do it, but there is really nothing wrong or boring with a house made of one primary material. Plus, stone at the foundation area doesn't really address a bigger issue of the garage which is that large expanse brick in the gable end above the doors. I think you would get a much bigger bang for your buck sorting out the landscaping and trying to reduce the impact of the giant driveway, and leaving the house pretty much as is.

• Metro East
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Great perspective palimpsest. I still like the mockup that avm did the best, with the dark garage doors, dark trim, dark driveway and enhanced landscaping and walkway. Excited to meet with the landscape designer tomorrow and see what he brings to the table!
  • Gracie
    8 years ago

I agree completely with pal. I've been following this thread wondering why the need to correct anything besides the driveway and landscaping. Yes, lights could be bigger and garage doors could be changed. But extra brickwork, pergolas, a new door--I just don't see what the problem is that all that will supposedly solve. Seems you want to throw away $20-30,000 because you'd rather be in a different house. Most people would love to have your home.

• Metro East
    Original Author
    8 years ago

May - Believe me, no desire to toss away hard (hard) earned funds. I just want to do it right (the current landscaping was done by us when we moved in and you can see it's…well, not right.) I love my neighborhood, love the location, and the interior works just great for us. I just want to add some character and curb appeal and yes I have a longstanding complex involving wishing for side-load garage doors.

Landscaping/gardening's never been my thing. I consult with so called experts (like the architect) and pay for their time but always seem to be disappointed by their advice. That bums me out! I ultimately get better ideas with my own exhaustive houzz/pinterest searches, and by posting here.

• Gracie
    8 years ago

I think it has plenty of character and curb appeal--that's my point. You can't remove the garage, but by trying to compensate for it, you're adding more "stuff" to the house itself when you say you prefer clean, simple lines. I would redo the driveway and the walkway as I think you'll get the most bang there. You could even keep the current beds--the shape looks fine to my eye--and change out the plants for a few hundred dollars. I'll be interested in what the landscaper suggests.

• Metro East
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    May, what would you do with the driveway? That's one thing I didn't get many opinions on. Awm photoshopped it dark which looks good in the photo but it will create a big contrast with the street and all the other plain concrete driveways. Other than that there was the suggestion for the grass/landscape strip and the permeable/green pavers, neither of which I think are really practical for my area.
  • lizbeth-gardener
    8 years ago

A good landscaping design can minimize or draw your eye away from many problem areas. I would get a good designer to draw up a plan and implement it before I changed anything else. A good landscape designer should also be able to do hardscaping or have someone who does, if that is needed. After that, you may have a very different feel for the direction you want to pursue.

• chispa
    8 years ago

The way to deal with front facing garages is to allocate a budget for garage doors that is proportional to their mass compared to the overall front facade. Garage door tend to be an afterthought when people build a house.

We replaced the generic doors on our front garages with custom doors from the company below. As soon as they went up we had people stop their cars and comment on how that "small" change made such a difference to the overall look of the house. We also removed the large asphalt drive and replaced it with pavers. The site has lots of photos that might give you some ideas.

http://www.ranchhousedoors.com/Default.aspx

Metro East thanked chispa