SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

OT: Flooding-Related Closure of I-35 Bridge/Love County

This is totally and completely off-topic so feel free to skip it if you aren't interested in the closure of the Red River bridge connecting OK-TX at I-35.

Increasingly high water levels at the Red River Bridge between Love County (Thackerville) OK and Cooke County (TX) are creating a traffic hazard on Friday morning. The current water level of the Red River there is 41.86'. It should be cresting soon and begin falling, but there is always a chance it will crest higher than forecast. Miraje posted a great photo of the bridge on the Waiting for Bill thread.

I'm posting this as an advance warning in case any of you are hoping to travel down south to TX today or might have family or friends hoping to travel north from TX to OK on I-35. (It is Father's Day weekend, after all.)

About 10 minutes ago we received an emergency road closure message that the I-35 south-bound slow-lane has been closed down by ODOT. At present, everyone is merging into the northbound lane and traffic continues, albeit very slowly, to cross the bridge headed south into Texas. At the present time, the northbound lanes are not affected. If you are traveling up or down I-35, be advised some exits also may be closed at times, and you can check the TXDOT or ODOT websites for the most current traffic hazard/closure info.

They advised they'll notify us of further closures, if and when they occur, on our county emergency phone app, so I'll pass on the info to you all here as soon as I get it. It is unclear at this time if the closure will be relatively brief or prolonged. One issue is that debris from west of the bridge is piling up against the bridge and even could wash onto the bridge, so the southbound lane has become unusable.

The last time I heard, there are various other closures north of Ardmore and near Davis, all related to either flooding, road damage or the land slide near the Turner Falls area as the work to stablize the area where the land slide occurred. For those of you wanting to travel south, a good option (I hope this doesn't change) would be to route your trip through Durant on Hwy 75 which would bring you into Texas at the Densison/Sherman TX area. If you need to head more westward and south, you could take Hwy 32 west out of Marietta (I-35 Exit 15) and cross the Red River at the Taovayas Bridge. This would take you into TX in Montague County near Saint Jo. You then could head east on Hwy 82 to reconnect with I-35 in Gainesville. That's the route my family tends to use when the I35 bridge is closed because 75 is a long way east for us if we're only trying to get to Gainesville or Denton.

I'll update when and if more info is released.

Comments (11)