SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
qwertyem

Granite guy says can't install on ikea cabinets?!? HELP!

qwertyem
8 years ago

I wonder if anyone else has had this problem. I was picking out granite and the granite supplier and fabricator (the only one within 70+ miles and the fabricator used by all KD centers around me) told me he can't install granite on my type of Ikea cabinets! He said the cabinets with the metal bars for support in the front and back (basically all the Sektion cabinets) can't support the weight of the granite specifically in the thin areas of the sink cutout. He said the granite itself could not support it's own weight in those thin sink areas because it is brittle and the metal bar won't hold it.

I went on to tell him that the ikea showroom has plenty of quartz counters...heavier than granite. He replied that quartz would work fine because it is not as brittle, so can support it's own weight over the sink cutout.

Has anyone ever heard of this? I see people with granite on Ikea cabinets all over the web....did they use special reinforcing or are the new Sektion cabinets different by having the metal bar in the front?

I am dumbfounded. Although I love some of the quartz, it is really pricing me way too high. This guy apparently won't install granite on ikea. I have very few other options in this area. What to do?

Comments (45)