SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
islandgarden

Which kitchen layout would you choose?

islandgarden
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I'd love your input on these 3 options under consideration.

I realize some will say "none of the above" but for those willing to accept that there are constraints we have already duly considered and preferences we have, would you be so kind as to take a look at options 1, 2 and 3 below and tell me which you like the most or which you dislike and why? Kitchen is 18 x 11'10". There is a separate butler's pantry. Typically we are 3 people at the kitchen table but want to be able to accommodate 6 for weekend brunches.

Option 1: involves adding door from kitchen to the back garden, which would be a nice feature. The windows in the eating nook would be new and come all the way to banquette level so that there would be a view to the garden when seated. The banquette would be about 7 feet or so

Option 2: in this version we keep the two original windows on the back wall where they are now (this would be the most cost effective choice) and we center the eating area on the middle of the windows. The banquette becomes much longer (like 10 to 10.5 feet). The banquette would now have a back since the windows start higher than the bench level. This would obscure the garden view for someone seated and looking out (we generally have 3 people at the kitchen table so having a back to the banquette is not that desirable a feature--it is to make this plan work).

Option 3: is basically option 2 but with new windows (and no door to the garden) Since we don't have to consider the windows the banquette length could be adjusted. The sketch below shows the dimensions as in option 2 but we could make the kitchen counter longer and the banquette shorter (for example, each could be 9' long)

Which looks the best? is it better to have a clear demarcation between cooking area and eating area? does the long banquette create a tunnel effect? does the smaller eating area in option 2 read "cozy" or "squashy?

Comments (18)