SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tarolli2011

Big Boy vs Better Boy

tarolli2011
8 years ago

I rcently iscovered this BB when looking or details about some o the newer cultivrs of tomatoes that I am growning this year. Love it, and have gotten some really ood info. BUT, I am really confused with o many posts referring to Better Boy. I have always considered it a very low-quality tomato compared with Big Boy. I have tested it several times right betwen the wonderful Big Boy plants (same growing conditions exactly), and it never, ever comes close to Big Boy. Taste is no comparison, and I see that also in published taste tests. I consider Big Boy, Constaluto Genovese, and Brandywine to be the three best-tasting tomatoes that I have ever grown. Better Boy is no where near them in taste. I know that Better Boy (i.e. "Worse Boy") is supposed to be disease-resistant. But the plant is never as profuse and prolific as Big Boy. Plus the inferior taste of Worse Boy means that I rarely plant it. It has failed several tests against Big Boy in my garden.

I wonder why people on this BB seem to compare other cultivars against Worst Boy instead of against Big Boy.

Comments (3)