SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
watson524

I can't seem to get the hang of growing tomatoes -bug and leaf problem

watson524
8 years ago

Can anyone help me with my tomato problem before it gets out of control. I plant in containers on my deck. Last year due to things going on, I wasn't able to but the year before, I did and had a similar issue to now and low yield. I'm in northeast PA and we have had a few hot and humid week.

I get my plants from the big box stores vs starting from seedlings. This past weekend, I picked up a medium sized plant (Bush Goliath), a smaller plant (think it was an early girl) a small cherry tomato plant (husky cherry red) and then I got a hanging cherry tomato plant (can't remember the name but it'll produce yellow cherry sized fruit).

They looked fine when I planted them. I put them in miracle grow (non moisture control) and put an appropriate amount of Miracle Grow Shake and Feed plus calcium on top.

We had a lot of rain here since I potted them so I have no added water. Where they are is generally full sun tho with the clouds it's been in and out. There is good drainage in the bottom of the pots (clean gravel). Because of issues I've had in the past, I sprayed my pots and cages (only on the biggest one so far) with clorox clean up spray in case anything was there that needed to die before I put the tomatoes in.

When I looked yesterday and today, I see a few problems:

1.) There's a flat bug of sorts that is rectangular perhaps 1/4" long and has clear parts to its wings. I tapped it and it did fly onto the deck railing but came back. I THINK that's what's causing the holes on the leaves of the biggest plant. I can't find any picture on the web that looks like this and don't know what to do about it other than killing it and hoping his family doesn't show up.

2.) I'm also getting the dreaded curling on some leaves and then yellow and spotting. Is this bacterial or fungal? It's worse on the biggest plant, the cherry tomato plants (potted and hanging) seem ok from this and there's a slight bit showing up in the other plant. Do I cut off what I can now and spray liberally with copper? I don't get why this keeps showing up. Are the spots maybe different from the yellowing (perhaps too much water because of the rain?)

3.) On the potted cherry tomato I have some odd tan coloring starting that I'm not sure what it is

Thanks in advance and if other pictures are needed, please let me know.

Big plant full shot:

Bug on biggest plant:

Holes in leaves of big plant:

Big plant other leaves:

Full cherry tomato in pot:

Close up of cherry tomato leaf:

Medium plant full shot:

Spots on medium plant leaf:

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Yellowlite
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars7 Reviews