SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
roygbiv

Need advice to rehab old waterfall/pond

Gretchen
8 years ago

**The photos show up sideways--at least on my iPhone.

We have a stone wall waterfall and pond likely built at the same time of our house in 1940.

Our goal is to get the water running again but we're not sure if we can get the original equipment to work or if we need to retrofit it.

Description: A semi-circular stone wall built into a sloping hill. The wall starts at about 2' and rises to about 66" at the peak where the output pipe sits. Centered within the semi-circular wall is the pond.

The waterfall drops 64" from the output pipe at the top of the stone wall to the pond water surface (86" from the spigot to the floor of the pond). The pond is 6'8" round x 22" deep.

Here are the pieces of our pond puzzle:

We discovered a small pipe running underground up the slope of the side stone wall to the outflow pipe atop the wall. We're not sure where the other end of this pipe starts or ends.

There's a vertical pipe inside the pond which I presume is for overflow.

We also found a larger in diameter underground pipe that leads out of our basement aiming directly toward the pond but we don't know if it services the pond in anyway--we haven't dug up our yard to see where it terminates.

There are two square holes about a third of the way down from the top of the stone wall and below the two holes a splash basin. We're not sure of the purpose of the two square holes.

We only have a basic understanding of how a pond works. We thought the pipe that exits from the basement might be a water supply but from what I've read, it seems modern ponds are a closed system, relying on rain and maybe an occasional top-off from the garden hose.

Questions:

Other than digging up our yard, is there a way to figure out how this pond was meant to work and if the pipes are still water-tight?

What equipment do we need?

How do we clean debris out of the pipes?

Thanks!

Comments (6)