SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

Sugar Magnolia and Sweet Prairie Wind for Tuesday

shive
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Sugar Magnolia had its ffo today. This cultivar is better branched and budded than ever now that it gets more light. A huge limb split off the neighbor's hackberry tree last winter, opening up my UF area to more hours of sunlight. The best scape has 23 buds. In past years, 11-12 was the norm. Sugar Magnolia is a Nan Wilkerson cultivar. I grow several of Nan's UFs, and was sorry to find out she has closed Bee Bayou Daylilies.

Sugar Magnolia

Sweet Prairie Wind also had its first flower open. It's supposed to be cranberry in color, but has always looked mulberry here. In any case, it is a beautiful berry shade.

Barbara Mandrell closeup - I'm still getting sepals that are a bit splotchy. I don't know if this is the result of bug spray or watering. I'm really happy with this daylily and all my new reds in the red bed. Barbara, Red Edition, Fighting Fire and The Ultimate Sacrifice all kept their color yesterday in temps in the mid 90s with high humidity. Barbara's red color is so pure and just sparkles in the sunlight.

Barbara in the foreground and Red Edition in back with and extra petal today.

Integrated Logistics is another daylily that looked great at 6:30 p.m. yesterday. The heat didn't hurt its color at all.

Dena Marie's Sister with a pair of blooms on ffo.

Baja California looking much lighter and pinker today and with a larger, prettier edge.

Stinger was baring some extra large teeth this morning.

Aztec Headdress had a nice group of blooms today.

I was Destined to See nice blooms on this clump.

Debra

Comments (19)

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz