SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bob_cville

Doing battle with vine and weeds

8 years ago

This past weekend and several previous weekends I have been working in the yard trying to make some headway against the weeds in our yard especially the invasive vines climbing everywhere. In one section along the border of our property there are about a dozen different vines/climbing plants all woven together. There's poison ivy vines the size of my arm, with leaves where each of the leaflets are as big as my hand. There's greenbriar with slender but strong vines covered with 1/2 thorns that pierce right through heavy gloves. There's oriental bittersweet that climbs and twists and twines around trees choking the life from them that spreads both through spreading underground roots and a plethora of orange berries. There's japanese honeysuckle spreading everywhere. There's wild grape vines that grip so firmly you can't pull them down. There's wild climbing rose and wild blackberry adding their grabby and stabby thorns. There's lesser amounts of virginia creeper, english ivy, moonseed vine, and two other vines I haven't yet identified.

I've spent hours and hours each weekend day since early spring, but much of the time it really doesn't feel like I'm doing more then slowing their inexorable spread. And the last couple of weekends I would finish, and come in to shower and find half a dozen (or more) ticks crawling on me looking for a tender place to bite.

Comments (10)