SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rufflina

1320 SF ranch makeover help

rufflina (zone 9 SF Bay Area)
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

We recently purchased a 1320 square feet 1954 ranch home on a quarter acre lot. The house has an attached 400 square feet two-car garage, an 80 square feet shed in the back, but no basement. Everything is pretty much in original condition, but well maintained by the previous (and original) owners.

I'm really inspired by the blog at housetweaking.com. I love what she did with her ranch, and I believe it's about the same size as ours - she says it's 1670 square feet including attached two car garage.

Question is, what can we do to our home to make it as beautiful as hers, ideally with an expanded kitchen? Is there anything we can even do without having to expand the footprint? Would expanding the footprint bring huge gains for just a little bit of extra square feet? We do have room (and budget) to grow. Here is a very approximate floor plan:

We are planning on having 1-2 kids in the near future and hope to make this our forever home. Some think I am misguided planning on a family in a small space, so I hope to find some like-minded help here. :)

Comments (11)