SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

Rapidly Changing Forecast---Could Mean Lots More Rain This Week

I know a lot of you had a lot of rain the last few days. How about some more rain? This is your heads-up that more rain could be coming, and coming soon.

There is an area of broad low pressure in the Gulf of Mexico off the TX/Mexico gulf coastline, currently named Invest 91L, that could become a tropical cyclone later today. Most models have it making landfall somewhere in Texas and eventually sending a plume of moisture across Texas. Depending on where it makes landfall and where the moisture plume travels, this storm could send a lot more rain to some portions of Oklahoma.

I looked at the new rainfall graphic on the webpage of the Norman office of the NWS, saw 3-6" of rain forecast for a large portion of the state (that includes my county) and began mentally revising my week's plans to include lots of time to strip every tomato that is breaking color off every plant, bring them inside and let them finish maturing indoors where the projected 3-6" of rainfall cannot reach them and make them crack and split.

I wish I could do the same with the peaches that will be ripening soon. The last thing they need is a ton of moisture in a brief time frame that will make them split, but they do not continue to ripen after being picked so picking them early isn't a viable option.

My potatoes are 95% dug and I will finish digging the last few plants within the next hour.

Once they declare that 91L is a tropical depression or a tropical storm and begin focusing more on its track, I'll come up with further garden harvest modifications to help me beat the rain before it can ruin the harvest. I have onions that are still green and have thick necks that aren't softening and falling over. My intention has been to leave them in the ground until the necks soften, fall over on their own and the foliage withers and turns brown. That would be standard operating procedure most summers. However, these onions were heavily waterlogged in May and have a lot of fungal issues on the foliage and I think 3-6" of rain, if it falls, might push them over the brink and cause them to start rotting, so.......maybe I'll need to harvest them before the rain gets here in order to save them from death by excessive rainfall/disease. This tropical cyclone and its projected rainfall may push me into harvesting the garlic early because it is still green too and not even sending me any harvest signals yet.

I thought that when I posted this heads-up on the projected rainfall, that I also would mention how it affects my harvest plans so that anyone else who has garden crops near harvest could start thinking about what they might want to do to beat the rainfall with any crops that could be negatively impacted quite severely by heavy rainfall.

Robert, I hope you've had a chance to hay and to dig some potatoes because you're probably even more likely to get heavy rainfall out of this than I am.

I'll link the NWS-Norman office's webpage so y'all can see their projections for rainfall through Friday. I was going to link the one from the Tulsa weather office since the heavier rain is likely to be heaviest for eastern portions of the state, but they don't have a revised rainfall graphic posted yet. This storm bears watching, and I won't jump the gun and start harvesting too much too soon because its track is uncertain at this point in time. I just don't want for anyone to be caught by surprise and to have tomatoes that are breaking color ruined by excessive rainfall, For tomatoes that haven't broken color, if you harvest them green, they may or may not proceed to ripen, so I always wait for that color break.

Dawn

Webpage of NWS-Norman

Comments (16)