SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
allyson_gray

Should I prune these droopy leaves?

Allyson Gray
8 years ago

Hi everyone!

A few days ago, I noticed a rather sad-looking snake plant in my father's bedroom and decided to take over to try to nurse it back to health.
As far as I know, he's been neglecting it for a while - it might have gotten rare waterings but not much more care than that. It was in a sorry state when I took it in, with several obviously dead leaves which I promptly took out of the pot. A few others still seemed somewhat alive but were completely soft and looked like they were definitely beyond any help, so I cut them off as well.
I gave it a good watering right after, as it most likely hadn't had a drop of it in quite some time.
It's been spending all of its time up until now near the space pictured in the photo, though it used to be placed further away from the sliding door. This window/door gets a decent amount of light especially during the afternoon, but the plant was partway behind the white screen that is visible on the left - it does let some light through, but not that much. I figured that might not be enough for the plant to thrive so I've put it right in front of the glass door for the past few days (it hasn't been very sunny anyway, though!)

Now that I took care of the dead and shriveled leaves, I would really appreciate some advice regarding what to do with the remaining ones (and any other information about what I may be doing right or wrong, and how to proceed from here). A few of the leaves still look perfectly healthy (to me, at least) and have no problem standing upright, but others are drooping and feel soft, and I wonder if it might be too late for them even though they don't look too bad yet.

What do you guys think? Should I cut off the drooping leaves? I don't want to give the plant too much of a shock especially since I already cut off a few, but I'm afraid that leaving them on will just be harmful to its recovery.

Comments (11)