SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susan4952

The oddest thing.....Osiria

susan4952
8 years ago

Don't know how many of you have followed the quest for this rose...but I had two several years ago that both failed. I just left them where they were. An area overgrown with wisteria runners.

Today something caught my eye....

Comments (23)

• zack_lau z6 CT ARS Consulting Rosarian
    8 years ago

Congratulations!

I just noticed a few dark violet blooms in bed where I put rose cuttings--this means that the tiny Vielchenblau I planted a few years ago is still around!

• susan4952
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Amazing. Osiria is impossible to find. I want a vielchenblau. Great color.

• Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
    8 years ago

Thats a story to put a smile on face

• susan4952
    Original Author
    8 years ago

My jaw dropped. No pruning, top dressing, feeding, treating, etc. limited sun due to wisteria and large viburnum. Darker red and deeper cup shape in person. Two years of nothing! Remember the winter two years ago? Chicago.

If I start to fuss with it, it will surely die. Lol

• seil zone 6b MI
    8 years ago

Wow! And they say roses are hard to grow, lol! Good luck with it and maybe, some day, we could beg cuttings? Pretty please!

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    8 years ago

Beautiful! And Congrats!

• susan4952
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Tomorrow I am going to cut back the vines and see what is down there. Whatever it is, it wants to live.

• nummykitchen
    8 years ago

Wow that's so awesome, yours must be a tough one! Makes me sad though because my Osiria didn't make it this year. :( Mine was grom Palatine who no longer offers it and I wonder if anyone else will offer it soon? Out of Snowfire, Love, and Osiria that I grew -- Osiria always had the most beautiful blooms.

• susan4952
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Most of my roses are from palatine so I think this one was. Rachel had great difficulty sorting the demands for this rose. She told us it was not a good grower and they got a limited stock each year....and they failed to thrive.

• susan4952
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Today I went back to investigate. Rainy and possibility of snakes keeps me away but I had to have a closer look. Cut back some of the vines and found more buds!

how do I turn this around? Tyia

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    8 years ago

Great rose story!

• seil zone 6b MI
    8 years ago

Looks good so far! I would just cut more back so it gets good sunlight and leave it alone and see what happens. I wouldn't try disturbing it. It seems happy where it is.

• Holly Kline
    8 years ago

Whoo! You got a good one. Mine reverted to Dr. Huey after the last two winters.

• Joe Moose, Zone 9A
    8 years ago

Awesome!

• susan4952
    Original Author
    8 years ago

And second flush

• rosecanadian
    8 years ago

So beautiful!! What a happy finding! Seems this rose is tougher than what is thought!

Carol

• Kachana
    8 years ago

What a beautiful story and history with this rose. Congratulations! What a beauty she is.

• susan4952
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Even pretty as she fades

• susan4952
    Original Author
    8 years ago

From the white center to the almost black tips

• zack_lau z6 CT ARS Consulting Rosarian
    8 years ago

I just took a picture of Love, another red rose with a white reverse.

• susan4952
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I also grow love.. Beautiful but quite different from Osiria, whose color is much deeper red. Love is much flatter when opened. How about fire and ice???

• susan4952
    Original Author
    8 years ago

My Love

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022