SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisaa007

Eased edge counters - owners/stone pros - chipping? regrets?

lisa_a
8 years ago

Woke up in the middle of the night, second guessing our counter edge decision. I know, in the grand scheme of things, it's a trivial matter but that's what remodeling does to one's sanity.

I prefer the look of an eased edge but I've heard and read the warnings about chipping with a straighter edge so we picked 1/2" top radius because that's the safer choice. We also looked at the crescent edge but DH prefers the top radius over that so I went with his choice (he's really been a gem about this remodel).

But now I'm awake in the middle of the night, wondering "should I have gone with my heart's preference?" Followed quickly by "it's just a counter edge, for crying out loud!" lol

Still, I'd love to hear from those of you who live with eased edge counters as well as stone pros: how big a deal is chipping? How long have you had your counters, how many chips have you had? Would you do it again?

We're going with 1/8" positive reveal around the sink (got a sink with accessories, need a positive reveal), which is one place I've heard can be prone to chipping. That edge will be eased since that's what the fabricator does.

We had porcelain tile on our island and never broke a dish or glass or
chipped the counter edge in 21 yrs so perhaps we've already learned good habits and will have fewer chipping issues.

One caveat: we learned today that it's harder to repair chips in honed surfaces. In all the research I've done over the years - including quizzing fabricators, KDs and other kitchen pros - no one has told me this until today. Granted, this fabricator tends to be cautious about honed surfaces in general because they've been burned over the years by honed Absolute Black. I get that completely. But we're not choosing AB plua I've tested a honed sample for months. I haven't seen any of the issues they warned about. Ditto for a friend with honed granite, in for 5 or more years. Anyhoo, I don't know if the fabricators warning about repairing chips in a honed counter is because they're cautious about honed surfaces in general or if repairs are trickier.

Changing the finish isn't an option. We're not shiny surface people. We considered leathered finish but that was still second place to honed. I really love honed stones - can't stop "petting" honed stones - as does DH, so I know choosing another finish would be a regret.

Please help save my sanity! I need to give them our final decision today.

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!