SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sefish99

Entry help needed!

SG
8 years ago

I'm starting from scratch in our entryway. We installed a solar-tube in the ceiling to add natural light to our very dark entry with cathedral ceilings. We also put new tile in a few years ago. But Haven't figured out a way to fill the space. We recently bought a bench for shoes and to put the shoes on. I would like a place for the kids to hang up their backpacks and jackets, place for keys, mail and purse, and perhaps a large mirror? Our house always needs more storage, but I dislike the cluttered look of entryway systems. We will be installing a new entryway door next week. We have been "thinking" about the functionality and look of this space for the last 6 months and browsing many stores. The left door is the one we enter and exit from. The dimensions of the space are: 115"Lx65"W. Thank you so much!!

Comments (81)

• sootsprite
    8 years ago
    Search "coat rack" and you will find some great ideas. With imagination the "mess" can be and part of the decoration

http://houzz.com/photos/3381805
  • PRO
    First Street Builders
    8 years ago

I'd begin with a stand-out front door. We did this door in a Decatur, GA house last year. It allows light thru the glass panels that are in a leaded glass style. I would think your space is wide enough to include lights on one or both sides of such a door. It was ordered by the homeowner from Old Creek Company, of Murray Bend, OR. It is sustainably-harvested mahogany, "Bordeaux" stain, with tapered stiles - 2762-42 http://internationaldoor.com/craftsman/2762-42/ It has their API style windows http://internationaldoor.com/craftsman/2813-36/. It's gorgeous.

• Related Discussions

front entry porch help needed-pics

Q

Comments (6)
    I like Porch #1. (A copy of Porch #1 on a wider footprint than your current porch...another 12'' or so added width on both sides of the door & sidelights.) Extending a long porch along the front of your house will shade the windows...depending on where you live, that could be good or bad?
    ...See More

Entryway Help Needed!

Q

Comments (1)
    So many options. Just make sure the space is balanced and not overfilled. One option: An offset mirror w/ flowers and key tray on one side. A lamp with candle, family photo and decorative green ball of moss.
    ...See More

Need help with a small entry way. Need help with small entry way

Q

Comments (7)
    I don't mind the table and mirror and can't really think of anything besides art that would fit on that wall. Can't see the table details well but could it be painted? How about red to match your lovely door? What would say "fresh and cozy" to you for that space? Have you thought of a new light fixture? A runner and a larger rug in the entrance could look good. I don't find the clock visible from the door to be welcoming so I'd be tempted to remove it.
    ...See More

Entry way help needed

Q

Comments (12)
    I’m feeling like I should have checked in with HOUZZers before ordering anything! You’re all sending me great thoughts…lesson learned. Since my move here, I’ve wanted a rug. But I love my floors (then why do I want to cover them?) …I wanted to add color. We’ve removed the old-world looking swivel chairs from the wine closet and put up our wine barrel (came from our home in fingerlakes wine region). I do feel that the entry is dark after the sun goes over the house and I wanted a welcoming feel in the foyer…thinking rug, table, lamp. A mirror would not reflect the gate because it would be in the same wall. The table I ordered is going to really fill that space and perhaps the scale won’t be right. The rug? I probably didn’t make the best choice on either. The rug should arrive this week so I’ll post pictures upon arrival. Table is going to take 16-20 weeks, perhaps I have time to reconsider or look for another spot for it. Please keep the ideas coming! I really appreciate all the suggestions.
    ...See More
  • njmomma
    8 years ago

If you really want to make this your mudroom, this may be what you need.

Tribeca Loft · More Info

• James Nla
    8 years ago

I have to admit that it seems odd that others would find it curious that you are using your front door so much! Or that you aren't using your mud room (lol). How dare you use your front door to enter and exit your house!!

As some others have suggested, go with a single door. That would then allow you to use space along one wall. Add an interesting bench or one that is functional (e.g., it could have storage cabinets or bins. Then add a shelf. Reclaimed would would be cool if it works with the rest of the house. Add to the wall hooks for coats, art, lighting, bowl for keys, plants, etc. Maybe an umbrella holder if it would be useful. Along the opposite wall, add a huge, interesting mirror. Add more interest with runner or rug that works with the rest of the style.

If redoing the door is not an option at this point, add hardware that would make one of the doors stationary. That way way you could still use the wall behind that door. And I'm sure by now that you have seen the article in the same newsletter on entry halls.

• myhonestopinion
    8 years ago

small bench seating on one side with a lineup or art/pictures, opposite a mirror with ledge under (you know, to set your purse, check lipstick), or full mirror with narrow table on side. Don't leave those walls unaddressed.

• shellbell77
    8 years ago
    I have double front doors and feel rather insecure with them. I imagine that if someone slammed into the middle where the 2 doors meet, it wouldn't be that difficult for them to get through. If you're really concerned about safety since you mentioned it, you may want to get a wrought iron or metal front door and wrought iron side panels and maybe top panel depending on your budget. Place window treatments inside the door and side panels.

Unlike your 2 solid front doors, my wooden oak doors are full of beveled glass pieces and are very pretty but I really dislike them when I'm home alone. Night visitors can see I'm approaching the door if I forgot to lower my cellular blinds and probably even then. I'm looking for a good motion sensor camera system with intercom just for the front so I can safely decide whether to open the door or not. Unfortunately my current wiring just for the doorbell is inadequate. Anyway, maybe you should consider your entire front entrance both for decor and security if you plan to pull the doors out anyway. Just a thought.
  • jujume
    8 years ago

Hi...quite a lot of good ideas here. Have you thought about a very shallow built in "closet" from floor to ceiling which could have shelves on the lower part for shoes and hooks at various heights above that for the kids things and coats etc. Above that shallow shelves could hold many many things that you don't use often. The doors could be separate for the lower closet and the storage area. I'm thinking some type of "barn doors" on rails but in a modern, slick style and painted to match the woodwork trim. You could mount an attractive mirror on one and on the other perhaps a shelf or two with edges to drop your keys, etc. on or even a plant or vase of flowers. This could be done using approximately 12 to 16 inches of your ample foyer space. Hope you come up with a lovely solution for your needs.

• Dar Eckert
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Why don't you paint the door a bright color inside and out. I also attached a wall unit that doesn't look like it takes up too much space. Not sure how much storage you would get but could add hooks

Vaucluse · More Info

The Carson Woolstore · More Info

• Laureen Reid
    8 years ago

Would do away with one door and replace the other door with either a window or glass bricks. This will then allow room for either a floating cupboard. You could also make a narrow wall to ceiling cupboard for storage.

• mdenton2014
    8 years ago

We lived in a small house until recently. Rather than trying to put everything in the entryway, I have the kids keep shoes, backpack, and jackets in their room. If their closets aren't very big, you can hang hooks for them in their rooms. It will keep the clutter out of your walkway. Just start practicing the phrase, "hmm, is this where this bag goes?" They get pretty good at taking care of it after awhile. I assume they don't want to hear from me anymore!

Then, add some art/ mirrors to your entry wall and incorporate cute key hooks. I always try to keep stuff off the floor. I Think it looks cleaner. Some paint color might help, but I suggest changing the doors and selecting your art before engaging in painting.

• Susan Davis
    8 years ago

For practicality, why not invest in tall lockers with doors , one for each family member. Everyone can learn to hang a coat and stow a backpack; what, life is so difficult? Have a deep basket for neighbor kids to deposit shoes while visiting.

Find a cabinet with drawers to replace the leggy piece you have now at the step down. Hang a mirror above it and place a lamp on one side. Add a key tray and designate a drawer for each persons 'daily stuff'.

Place new door opposite where lockers will be so that you have door swing. Build wall to enclose where other door was and use sheet rock inside, panelling painted on outside. Build or set new lockers in row starting at new front wall. See second picture below for specific layout possibility.

Sleek and neat and each child has responsibility to stow his stuff and he always knows where everything is!

Similar to JuJume post above.

Dutch Kitchens · More Info

St Clarens renovation · More Info

This is really an intriquing challenge. Have fun and post pics!

• jrdesigning
    8 years ago

I wood replace double entry door for single entry door with long windows on both sides. I wood use a front door with glass for light.

• PRO
    Design Intervention
    8 years ago

Definitely would go with a glass door to provide better lighting.

This fron door was in a recent project in Los Angeles. The door is reed glass.

Front Hall · More Info

• sandradclark
    8 years ago

I would just go to Ikea & look for a very narrow closet to place on the wall where the door does not open. You will need to fasten it to the wall probably so it wont tip over. If you still have some space place a small bench & add a narrow runner to the floor.

Wyndham Area Rug, Lavender and Ivory, 2'3"x9' · More Info

Outdoor Navy Blue French Quarter Small Cube · More Info

• sandradclark
    8 years ago

Or:

Hand-Knitted Contemporary Wool Pouf - POU136 - 1'5 x 1'5 x 1'5 - Light Green · More Info

Vintage Styled French Script Print Fabric Upholstered Bedroom Storage Bench · More Info

• sandradclark
    8 years ago

It was such a good idea to add a solar tube for the area.

• Beth Rock-Alarcon
    8 years ago
    Something of an ombre effect on the walls would be unique and unexpected.
  • altadavey
    8 years ago
    1. Get a cool pendant or chandelier!
    2. Get a cool patterned rug! I think I'd do an oval or soft corners to break up the rectangle ness of the space.
    3. Where you have the little console, create a shoe shelving area; maybe even use that one if it has shelves. Paint it a fun color from the rug! If baskets fit in it, throw shoes in them.
    4. Use some fun hooks to create coat hanging space next to the shoe console. I'd hang them at varying heights, maybe 5-7 hooks. When you have company you can hide yours in a bedroom (and the shoes, too; put a couple of decorations on that console for company) and they can hang theirs.
    5. Paint those walls another fun, but light color from the rug.
    6. Hang some artwork! I'd go for two larger pics on one of the walls (the wall you see first when you open the door)), and three smaller on the other (maybe the two larger can be "art" and the three smaller b&w family photos in black frames).
  • altadavey
    8 years ago
    Forgot to add that I'd put the console on the side you don't see first upon opening the door! Good luck!
  • Heather Scavetta
    8 years ago

Keep it simple. Use lucite and mirrors. Paint the doors a different colour than the walls so they are the focal point.

• Robin Michetti
    8 years ago

I'm not sure why there are two entrance doors so close to one another. If you closed off one of them, you could use that space for a large closet with doors. In any case, if that is out of the question, I would NOT put hooks or any open unit on a wall. I recently saw a reno show on TV where the people had an even narrower hallway; the width of a front door...with no sidelights. A 10 inch deep unit was custom built but WITH doors to hide the boots and coats etc.. The walls were kept light coloured. The final result was excellent.

The skylight was a great idea to let in light. And I am definitely in favour of your large mirror idea. And I hope that your new door is mostly glass...maybe with a modern design wrought iron on it.

Lights always widen a space. You could put wall sconces in the space or spots. A sanseveria plant to the right side of the entrance to that space could add some contrast and add to the height feeling.

Good luck!!

Robin

• brilingra
    8 years ago

I like the idea of a single door with the sidelights. Change the entry flooring to either tile or wood. Install a chair molding in the entry hallway, and paint the upper and lower walls in contrasting colors. Add a long narrow console table with either a mirror or painting over it. Remember that the entry way makes a "statement" to those entering your home.

• prt13
    8 years ago

What is it you want the entry to do? It isn't that wide so only the narrowest of consoles will fit but that merely provides a place to drop keys :( My first reaction was to paint the doors a deep colour (dark-gray tinge of lavender if I am seeing the wall and floor colours correctly), beef up the narrow door header. The light fixture could be more interesting - but without seeing the finishes and styles you enjoy elsewhere in the house suggestions seem pointless

• nadiaa
    8 years ago

The glass in the side lights comes in many degrees of privacy. They let in the light but no one can see thru. A solid dk door with glass sidelites would look amazing.

• capeanner
    8 years ago

Always fascinated when the person asking for help makes clear statements like not wanting glass due to privacy & security issues yet people continue to suggest it. The cupboard looking door that seen to the left with simple hardware is handsome. Why not go with that look...clean and simple. The door decision will have to be made (double or center) before going further with decisions re depth of benches, shelves, etc Suggestions: Asian details would be nice (wallpaper, mirror). I would skip the art as it will be busy enough with the coats & shoes. You could create panels by putting molding around grasscloth or patterned paper as wallpapering the entire entry might be too big a job.
    http://www.custommade.com/shoe-rack-bench/by/fivefork/
    This bench design would be utilitarian: the bottom could hold shoes. Three hooks mounted on wood on each side of the bench should suffice. A shallow shelf for keys, etc under the mirror (placed over the bench or further down on the opposite wall so as not to reflect the business of the coats). Please show us what doors you decide on! Definitely remove the existing bench with the plant pots & newspaper(?).

• nadiaa
    8 years ago

Thats why i mentioned there are glass side lights that address the privacy issue in case the person did not know.

• PRO
    EBK GROUP LLC. Architectural Design
    8 years ago

EBK...With all due courtesy and respect you have read but not have listened to all the wonderful comments and already made decisions regarding entry, which is why the predicament continues. The entry, as others have indicated, should of been a single door 36"W O.C. to allow for egress with 2 privacy sidelights or paneled. With respect to creating a mudroom, which an entry is not, the best solution, as the very classy lady above indicated, is to create a foyer that is warm and inviting using the painted entry door as a backdrop, no furniture due to space, with perhaps 2 large decorative wall hung mirrors facing each other (en-suite) with 2 pieces of wall décor to each side to create interest. Depending on form and style do not be afraid to use wall paper for a much more dramatic entry effect.

• PRO
    ModernRugs
    8 years ago

Since you have a mostly white entryway and a narrow space, you should aim for a clean and functional look. This picture, although not specifically of an entryway, comes to mind.

Using a bold rug paired with a table or other piece of furniture would do well do add a "homely" feel to the entryway. This furniture would ideally provide a useful place for guests to to place their belongings, leave gifts, etc. as well as providing the functionality that is so important. Depending on the dimensions of the furniture you choose, it could possibly allow for an object to cover the vent that is on the left side of the entryway, if that is one of your goals.

A rug, depending on your tastes, could either lean more towards decoration or towards function. One may want a rug that can withstand weather, wetness, etc and any other features of the outdoors that your guests will bring in. Seeing as you have a white floor, this rug will provide a sense of "warmth" to what otherwise may seem a barren entryway. It will also help preserve the cleanliness of the space that is always important in first impressions.

Although your space is very small and chances are only a few objects are necessary to improve this entryway, the first steps I would take would be towards finding a good, durable combination of rug and functional furniture to start your designing process.

• Cheryl Biermann
    8 years ago

Dress up the doors with trim, or if your really talented or know someone who is, put some glass in the doors, it doesn't have to be large sections, just enough to gain a peek to the outside. Next a long carpet, possible one that continues on down the steps. Remove the small table at the bottom of the step to open it up more. A bit of art on the wall, possibly a dimensional piece from nature like a piece of driftwood and under it hooks for jackets, umbrellas, ect. Some kind of catch all, like a mail unit that mounts to the wall. Tall, slender storage units at the bottom of the steps on either side, if storage is needed. I think hats, scarves, purses, ect. make interesting wall art sometimes, and it is useful as well. For instance, childrens' raincoats, boots, mittens, ect. can always make me smile.

• capeanner
    8 years ago

I guess this poor mother of 3 is not allowed to say functionality is paramount and space is limited. She needs attractive yet practical suggestions
    nadia: "even with frosted glass, we wanted the privacy. We live in the city and didn't want it to be obvious when we're home or not". What sort of side lights would address her issues? If they let light in wouldn't they show if there were lights on the inside? I agree there are some gorgeous contemporary doors incorporating glass, but if the owner doesn't want glass......

• lmb2055
    8 years ago

If your budget allows, I would change the front door. Right now it looks very closed in. I would actually use a single door with glass side panels and glass on the door to bring light. By doing this, you would allow yourself some room on the side walls for a narrow table or some of the other suggestions above for areas to put keys etc as you enter. Remove the table at the foot of the stairs. A large chandelier would also dress up the area and make it inviting. Not sure of your current decor, but the light fixture is too small and simple for the entry. Best of luck.

• nadiaa
    8 years ago

Capeanner you are right regarding seeing a light on from inside but using the right glass does not allow to see thru to the inside. I live in the city and it seems like everyday someone is knocking on my door trying to sell me something. I have glazed side lights and the person standing on the outside cannot see me in my kitchen unless i go up to the door and they would see a shadow. Any how no big deal..just wanted to clarify.

• attyhur
    8 years ago

I would add a tall dark armoire (with doors) that you could hang your coats, put shoes, and whatever else you wanted to store on one side of the space. On the other side, a large mirror that will immediately open the space. These two items with your new front door will make the space totally different.

• PRO
    Finstads Carpet One
    8 years ago

You've had a flood of responses with lots of ideas. I see in your original post you mentioned you're getting a new front door and there were many suggestions regarding the doors.
    The double doors seem to really "crowd" the look of the front entry since it takes up the entire width of the foyer. If you're opposed to a single door with sidelights I would suggest a single door with a transom window (like someone has already suggested) or just a single door. Below is a picture of a modern door with an elongated panel that can be ordered with glass that you cannot see through but allows some natural lighting to come through. Or, just a single door with mirrors on both sides that imitate windows and gives the visual illusion of sidelights.
    As far as the bench, there are many styles where shoes can be tucked under and a lid on the seating part that can store hats, gloves, etc. I like decoenthusiaste idea with the modern wall hung cabinet for tucking things away.

I feel that an entry is a "welcome home" or space you want people to feel welcomed when they walk through your front doors. I would give it a deeper coat of paint in a color that appeals to you. Mine, for instance, is a brick red that wraps around and feels like cozy and warm when walking through the entry. Perhaps a medium tone would give the space a warmer feel. Good luck with your project.

^shows that you cannot see through the glass panel.

^sorry for the small image. The elongated mirror on either side of a single door is a
    contemporary look to give a visual illusion of windows.

• Jennifer Walters
    8 years ago
    Could you recess into the wall? Between studs or build box into studs?
  • Jennifer Walters
    8 years ago
    Also, painting the door another color may add depth. Adding a durable rug may also define the space a little more.
  • leelee
    8 years ago

A new door will help immensely.

• comas
    8 years ago
    I recently watched an episode of 'Open House Overall' on HGTV Canada, featuring designer, Samantha Pynn. She solved a dilemma similar to your front hallway concern as well as other issues in the house. Her carpenters customized an IKEA storage cupboard to suit the narrow front hallway. Hooks for coats and shelving for footwear etc were placed inside the unit and the doors closed on the eyesore of family belongings. My home had a single door with a transom window and side panels and I had no privacy. I replaced the glass with an opaque 'raindrop pattern' that provides absolute privacy. I highly recommend you consider this option to obtain both privacy and light. An all glass hallway table with an attractive dish for holding keys and a large mirror would maintain the appearance of space and light. Consider an indoor/outdoor rug to soften the harshness of the tile and to collect the inevitable wet footprints. Best wishes from a mother of 6 and grandmother of 8.
  • alwaysdesigning
    8 years ago

I also don't like a cluttered entry with cubbies and things hanging up right there. I would paint or stencil the walls an interesting accent color; maybe wainscot the entry also. Add some art work above the wainscot wall. A unique entry table with unique mirror. The light fixture may need to be changed to something different and unique and sparkly. It seems rather blah. A long runner rug with some color in it that the wall color will tie to. Add a bookshelf of books; add some height, vertical and horizontal, in that space. Good luck; it will look great when done.

[houzz=https://www.houzz.com/photos/north-coogee-contemporary-entry-perth-phvw-vp~13085333]

[houzz=https://www.houzz.com/photos/the-carson-woolstore-industrial-hall-brisbane-phvw-vp~17835782]

[houzz=https://www.houzz.com/photos/urban-oasis-transitional-hall-seattle-phvw-vp~8284217]

• Robin Pasternak-Seggelke
    8 years ago
    I like the idea of the side lights and single center door...but I'd take it a step further. Choose a door with the center in glass, with the clar oval in the center with deco frosting around it. This would bring in even more light and be very pretty!
  • chrissiekirk
    8 years ago

I see this dilemma is still up and so I wonder what the homeowner is going to go with? I say you gotta take it down to one door if you want to fill up the space with hooks for coats and a bench, etc.

• njmomma
    8 years ago

Lots of options and ideas, so poster, what have you decided to do?

• PRO
  • Susan Davis
    8 years ago
    Love the above picture it would look perfect and functional! I say go for it.
  • capeanner
    8 years ago

And it matches the style of the interior cupboard! Now it would be a question of going white like the walls or dark like the cupboard. But first there's the entry door issue to be resolved.
    Actually if the coats could go behind the doors and a mirror put in the recess

it might solve the aesthetic issues of a pleasing entry.The kids could still sit on the bench when dealing with shoes, boots.

• capeanner
    8 years ago

How about a sunburst mirror to get away from all the straight lines?

• senab
    8 years ago

A nice navy painted door and simplistic wallpapering in the entryway only, something that transitions well into the other rooms. Two long mirrors on both walls, a bench that opens to throw your shoes in. Simple hooks for your coats.

• kellapitter
    8 years ago

The existing doors, single, double, windows or none, do not do the hallway improvements justice. Clutter will obliterate them. The new lighting makes the walls cry for colorful art.

I have no entry in my city house. Boom. You are in the living room. All of my coats, gloves, etc. are on hooks and shelves in the landing to the basement.

• PRO
    KGJ Fence, Inc.
    8 years ago
    I would take that table out, I don't think it looks good I think a old trunk
    and a small rug in front of doors to wipe your feet.
    And a closet Maby make a closet.
    Or a couple nice painting art always makes nice.
  • sheilaskb
    6 years ago

I agree with Bruce that you need color in this space. I would suggest you choose an accent color to use throughout the house and then paint the side walls of the foyer this color. As an alternative, you could have white wainscoting on the lower wall and the accent color above. To make the entrance way interesting from the interior, I suggest you paint the wall space around the door two shades darker than the accent color I suggested for the other walls. I would suggest you get a narrow console-style table to place in front of the utility register to disguise it but still allow the flow of air. Above the table you could place a fancy mirror and have a small, colorful floral arrangement and a basket for keys and/or messages on the table. The coat hooks you could place on either wall, depending on the way the door opens. However, the hooks might fit better on the wall that would have the console table and have the bar of hooks between the end of the table and the front wall. It might be a good idea to have the door hinges on the same side as the table so that the door would open toward the hooks and still allow room for the coats placed there.

I agree with another poster that you should have one door centered by side lights to let natural light into the room.