SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marcosmcqueen

washing machine draining overhead?

marcosmcqueen
8 years ago

I'm completely and totally unqualified to answer this question or even to hatch this plot, so please tell me what what's wrong with my plan.

We're looking at a basement remodel that will place the washing machine and bathroom on opposite sides of the basement. Our sewer line comes in about 3' above the basement floor and I had originally planned a layout that would place them next to each other and I had planned to use an upflush toilet. We decided to add a shower to the plan and because of clearance requirements etc. we will have to scrap that plan and go with a traditional sewage ejection system.

My new problem is now that in order to tie the washing machine into the ejection system I'd have to jack up the slab diagonally for the full length of the basement (I'd guess 35 feet). This seems costly.

I'm wondering if, alternatively, I might be able to simply run the washing machine drain into the ceiling and directly over to the sewage line. The ceilings are only 7" tall and so the height falls within the abilities of most washing machine pumps(?). The joists run from the washing machine to the sewer line and so no drilling would be necessary. The run would only be about 15', the joists are 10" and we'd have use of a 12" soffit as well, so getting the necessary slope should not be an issue. If the strength of the machine's pump were insufficient I do have a utility room adjacent to the space and could put a grey water pump in there.

As I said, I'm completely unqualified to make such a judgement so please shoot holes in this idea. I'm sure there are plenty.

As a side question, how much have folks here paid for the installation of ejection systems?

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths