SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jalcon_gw

General J.M. cultivar questions..someone help an inquiring mind!?

jalcon
8 years ago

So I have really gotten into trees and landscaping in the past few years since owning a house. I know all about the different Japanese Maple cultivers and have a decent understanding in them. But the engineer in me wants to know more about them, and I have so many questions. Hopefully someone here much more knowledgeable than me can help me out...

1.) So all 1,000 or so species of JM are basically just "genetic mutations" correct? Thousands of Acer Palmatums seedlings are planted, one looks different...it is pulled from the lot, closely watched for many years, and if deemed worthy, becomes a new cultivar. It's then grafted onto basic acer palm. rootstock? If for some reason that really cool mutation tree dies, then I guess it's back to the drawing board. Is this all correct? You wonder how many times long ago, someone had a really cool tree, but the graft didn't take, and with that the "cultivar went extinct"..

2.) How did the dissectum come about? Is that a completely different species? Or did one day some guy who had thousands of seedlings say "hey, this one's leaves are ALL messed up, have a laceleaf appearance, and the tree has a weeping form"...."lets call this one acer palmatum dissectum"...?and then that was grafted unto rootstock, and then seedlings from those eventually stemmed crimson queen, takuyama, Inaba Shidare, ect ect? And so on? Or is that not correct. I mean if someone planted 50,000 silver maples, would one possibly be a laceleaf variety, or weeping? I feel like I'm totally missing something here.

3.) Also, are any of the original trees still around? I mean does anyone know where the original crimson queen is? The original bloodgood, ect? I feel like that would be pretty basic information, and I think it'd be so cool to see the tree that stemmed millions of others around the world...

Thanks!

Comments (17)