SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
martinnr75

Adenium Garden - Martin in Denmark

Martin (Denmark)
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

So my project "Adenium Garden" has been initiated. ;-) This thread will be a documentation of the progress. Feel free to comment!

First batch of seeds (in the front of the photo) germinated a week ago. The species/cultivars are Adenium arabicum and Adenium obesum. Unfortunately, I did not put enough soil into the tray when I sowed the seeds. I fear they will stretch too much towards the light.

Until the weather changes, all seedlings are grown under 2xT5 fluorescent tubes (24 W each) and on a heatmat (temperatures above the soil is 30-33 C degrees). For a month, the weather in Denmark has been absolutely dreadful! Cold and windy with frequent downpours and day temperatures of only 10-18 C degrees. Definitely not "Adenium weather". Hopefully this will change, in June!

In the background in the photo, a batch of around 50 seedlings has emerged (seeds germinated 2-3 days ago). 40 Adenium arabicum of 5 different cultivars and 10 Adenium somalense, all imported from Thailand.

This is going to be fun...

Happy growing to you all! :-)

/ Martin

Comments (158)

• Jericson Pastor
    8 years ago

as of today they reach 100days, so i decided to transplant them already to there next home, i have 11 but the other 3 has been adopted by my auntie last night, didn't have the chance to see there roots, to see the rest of my pictures its gonna be on my post, i don't wanna invade martins grow log....mahalos

Adeniums · More Info

Adeniums · More Info

Adeniums · More Info

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    8 years ago

What healthy looking roots, Jericson.

• Related Discussions

Fat Adeniums

Q

Comments (12)
    Concerning bad weather and rot, I am pretty amazed how quickly they succumb to rot. Saturday I watered one of my biggest seedlings which was growing nicely, caudex rock hard. Sunday the weather changed, temperatures dropping to 17 degrees C (63 F), no sunshine at all. The seedling was still outside sitting in moist soil. Yesterday I noticed that the caudex was a little soft, so I took a look at the roots. Nearly all were rotting. After a major root removal and cinnamon treatment, the seedling is now in a pot again. Hopefully the weather will soon change... Regards, Martin
    ...See More

Flush of Adenium Blooms About Over On This One

Q

Comments (10)
    Randy, thanks for the reply, you certainly have some remarkable specimens and in combination with those pots, well what can I say? Hello Martin, after reading that DR's can bloom at under a year I now realise that this would be under ideal conditions, something I definitely don't have over here! (especially at the moment) So, I'll just be content with keeping them alive. Hopefully, as they are now getting bigger/stronger they may be able to come through the winter this time round unscathed. Here's a pic of my efforts so far. The 'big 5' are regular Ad. Obesums and to give some idea of scale they are in 3.5inch diameter pots. The 3 smaller ones maybe A. Obesums, A. Ob var. 'Noble Concubine' or even A. Ob var. 'Star of Luck'. However they are now 'NOIDS' as the labels all came off in the heat/humidity of the propagator! Will just have to wait for those elusive flowers I guess. Unfortunately, I am a total wimp when people say lift them up/expose the roots/tie the roots in knots/prune them drastically to within an inch of their lives...I just CAN'T do it to them. They have struggled to get this far, it would be like torturing them! If I could provide better conditions or have more plants to play with then possibly, maybe I would be brave enough, plus they mean a lot to me however ordinary they look. Had I not drowned at birth the others from the smaller batch, then I may have had more to experiment with, LOL!
    ...See More

Adenium seedling not growing?

Q

Comments (32)
    you can topped off your containers with worm castings, try mix it some come coco coir, because sometimes worm castings tend to clump up, it depends on the manufacturer, for mine i have my own worm bin and my worms has a special diet
    ...See More

Adenium - Martin in Denmark - Part III

Q

Comments (316)
    Thanks, Martin! I'm relieved you that you consider that an acceptable shot lol And yes, that was a bit of fur from Hodor the cat who likes lying down on my haworthias. Macro photography (and my battle to learn it) is what got me into plants in the first place. I am a firm believer in splurging on lenses and prioritizing it over a camera body upgrade. Also, other than the fact that my old D60 has extreme sentimental value, the reason I have been successful at talking myself out of getting a d3300 is because I shoot almost exclusively on manual mode anyway and have no use for bells and whistles. Although I could certainly use the 12k ISO with that yummy 25k ISO boost. I also have this crackpot idea of getting a cheap D3200 and having the block filters removed so I can shoot in UV. I'm told my D60 is so old its IR/UV built-in filters are weak anyway and can probably do this already but I haven't tried. I need to get a UV black filter to test it. And a xenon flash. On and on and on. Bottom line, it's really the D810 I want. And I just confessed to my real hobby, to which plants are only incidental.
    ...See More
  • Martin (Denmark)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Tracy, the seedlings respond quite differently to the light. As you know, some stay compact and others stretch towards the light, even seedlings of the same species (to no surprise). But some cultivars/hybrids are more prone to etiolated growth than others. I will keep that in mind and choose accordingly when ordering again. But first, I need another light setup for the growing seedlings. ;-)

Actually, you can see two A. somalense seedlings where the pen is resting. :-) A. somalense has narrow leaves. Both seedlings are branching out.

• Jericson Pastor
    8 years ago

did your vitopod arrived already martin? i saw that from long time ago, its a stack-able greenhouse,

• Martin (Denmark)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Unfortunately no. :-( Last Friday, I got an e-mail from the seller saying it was out of stock. But hopefully it will arrive sometime this week.

And yes, it's a fancy stackable and sturdy miniature greenhouse but quite expensive. I had to pay almost 100 USD (94 EUR) for it! I will use it as a shelter for some of my smaller plants prone to rot, for instance Adeniums. So far, the summer in Denmark has been disappointing. Very. Since the beginning of May, we have only had 7 days with day temperatures around and above 77 F degrees (25 C). Add to this changeable night temperatures ranging from 40 F to 68 F (5-20 C) and lots of overcast days. Try growing Adeniums under these conditions. :-( Hopefully the Vitopod will raise the temperature inside to at least 77 F on cloudy days. Nothing grows at temperatures below 77 F.

• Jericson Pastor
    8 years ago

if you have a free room in your house, use that as a grow room, thats gonna be a big help for you, your adeniums gonna have a lots of dormancy with your weather, when i was in the army, i got stationed in virginia beach, usa, thats my very first 4 seasons and im not use to it lol, im a tropical person, 70F for me is cold already lol

• Martin (Denmark)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Jericson Pastor, I have free room inside, but my east-facing windows won't let in sufficient direct sunlight during the day. Putting them outside solves the light problem. To solve the problem with low day temperatures outside, I will have to use a greenhouse or something equivalent, like a Vitopod. On a sunny day like this with temperatures of 68-70 F (20-21 C), temperatures in a miniature greenhouse will quickly rise to minimum 77 C. At midday, maybe even 85 F (30 C). You can actually grow cacti and other succulents successfully in Denmark. ;-)

• Martin (Denmark)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I want to share a photo of my tiny "bulbs", Pachypodium horombense. One of them (the one in the front to the left) has begun branching out. I didn't think, they would survive their first weeks, but they sure did. :-) They are quite taken by the light bulbs and are fattening up nicely.

• Cynthia Curry Russo
    8 years ago

I,know what you mean, Jericson. I grew up in North Florida. 3, maybe 4 seasons. The 30 years I spent in New York was torture. I've been back in SW Florida for 11 years. I am enjoying the subtropical warmth and light. I refuse to go back north except for dire reasons.

I love seeing "house plants" grow wild here.

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    8 years ago

Martin, The P. horombense are neat looking plans. I also like the Pachy's. I only have the P. Saundersii & P. geayi. Had P. decaryi, P. brevicaule.

Yours are turning out very nice.

Rick

• Martin (Denmark)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Rick, thanks. I have grown Pachypodiums before - ten years ago. Among others, I had a large specimen of P. brevicaule, but it never settled in. I find the particular species difficult to grow, at least plants bought as mature plants. I could be wrong, if I raised them from seeds myself.

Any thoughts on that?

• addicted2plants Southern IL USA
    8 years ago

Question for Rick - did your P. saundersii leaves maintain the rippled edges such as Martin's seedlings above?

Tracy

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    8 years ago

Martin, I did not make out too well with my brevicaule. It was wonderful for a year or two and then I did something and it rotted. I have heard that they can be finicky to grow, but maybe just a learning curve. The sofience, lamerii and decaryi seeds that I started where great until I put them outside and I believe now that the grit I had on top of the soil got too hot and effected the base of stem. Should have had in less sun or atleast misted the grit to stop from burning the base of stems. Live and learn.

Tracy, my saundersii does not have the slightly folded leaves with the wave to them. In fact at this time it does not have many leaves. I have never had this plant outside and I thought this was the year. I made the transition slowly, but it was not happy. Just starting to leaf out now.

Rick

• Martin (Denmark)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Tracy, I have grown P. saundersii before. The rippled edges of leaves are probably a genetic thing and not due to diseases or horticultural practices. I have had larger plants with and without the conspicuous leaves, but the leaves of the species are predominantly only slightly "wavy"/folded or not at all. I guess, you just have to try sowing some seeds. :-)

Rick, my large P. brevicaule was fine for a year or two like your plant, but it slowly withered away. It didn't rot. I think that the species is difficult to establish in pots, if the frail root system is almost gone/dried up after being shipped. It's like Dioscoreas. For some reason, they can refuse to grow roots, even though they put out new leaves.

If I once again choose to grow them, I will never let the substrate go bone-dry for weeks, not even when the plants are dormant.

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    8 years ago

Martin, it must have been difficult to not have such wonderful specimens as I remember you posting photo's of previous. Atleast you have the tools to have this again sometime. Looking forward to seeing them.

Rick

• Martin (Denmark)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

This rubber band - preventing the lid of my light box from moving downwards - snapped at some point during the day:

Consequence? A lot of fried Adeniums. :-( Never trust a rubber band. ;-) I guess, around 50% of the seedlings now have yellowish leaves, a sunburn. Some even got "decapitated", but all in all this is just a (-nother) small setback with stunted growth. ;-)

• Kadie
    8 years ago

OUCH! That hurts!

• Cynthia Curry Russo
    8 years ago

Ouch.

8 years ago

Such a cruel method to thin your herd, Martin. Haven't you heard of natural selection? ;)

Tracy

• Martin (Denmark)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Tracy, yes, but I thought, I would do my own "selection" replicating natural disasters. ;-) Most of the seedling are okay. The Pachypodium saundersii seedlings got a slight sunburn with blackish leaves. :-/

• Kadie
    8 years ago

Martin, you are soooo funny!

8 years ago

No! (GASP) Not the P saundersii. Can you share your source for those seed?

Tracy

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    8 years ago

Sneak a photo of my two Pachypodiums. Not the best specimens.

hope you do not mind me adding these, Martin.

Rick

• Martin (Denmark)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Tracy, the P. saundersii seedling are fine, despite the scorched leaves. :-) The seeds are from Köhres Kakteen in Germany (link), a reliable seller/seed source.

Rick, did you grow them from seeds yourself? :-)

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    8 years ago

Martin, I did not grow these ones. There is a fella close by that has an absolutely wonderful nursery for Cacti & Succulents. He trades me Adenium seedlings for other plants.

i made an error with these two and especially the P. saundersii. I up potted it and should have left it in a smaller pot. It had a very nice compact habit and I thought I would give it more room. It proceeded to grow vertically, despite my efforts, even after a prune.

Martin, the Köhres Kakteen is a wonderful, isn't. I have viewed their list, but have yet to order anything.

Rick

8 years ago

Wow, pretty amazing Rick! I have to ask, how do you up pot these guys? Using kevlar gloves and tongs?

Thanks for the link, Martin. I will have to look at getting some of these seed to try for myself. The quantities on Köhres Kakteen show a listing as "Portion", which I can only assume are about 5 seeds? I saw an adult plant of P. horombense yesterday at the plant show and these are so incredible!

Tracy

• Martin (Denmark)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Tracy, "portion" means quantity, meaning 10 seeds (10K) which is default. But normally you have the option to order 100 (or even 1000 seeds, if I recall correctly).

And yes, P. horombense can be quite showy. That is why, I will try growing this species again. ;-)

Rick, some people say that "under-potting" succulents in culture will channel more energy into caudex development, simply because root development is restricted and the need for more water storage capacity has to be "solved" in another way. This strategy may be true for some species, but I am not entirely convinced of the general assumption. For instance, Adeniums will be stunted if kept in too small contrainers. They need ample root space, if you want to grow them fast.

This A. multiflorum has been pruned and pinched several times and root-bound for the past 9 or 10 years! One of my experiments to restrict growth/"bonsai" Adeniums. It certainly worked out well. ;-)

I am not sure about Pachypodiums. The vertical growth of yours might be due to too much fertilizer, water and/or insufficient light. Some species of Pachypodiums require a lot of natural light to stay compact.

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    8 years ago

Marin, I think that the latter (insufficient light) and possibly fertilizer is much of the problem.

The Lamerii has done well the last two years that I have had outside all summer and so I decided to wing it with the saundersii .

Rick

• Cynthia Curry Russo
    8 years ago

Martin, I love your multiflorum.

Martin (Denmark) thanked Cynthia Curry Russo
  • Martin (Denmark)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Photo update

7.5 weeks old Adenium arabicum seedlings (in the front row):

• Martin (Denmark)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Pachypodium photo update

P. horombense (I like the "bulbs" a lot):

P. saundersii (recovering after sunburn. The previous black spots of the leaves are almost gone :-) ):

8 years ago

And because seeds are like chips, you can't have just one kind, I've ordered the following. And it is all your fault, Martin ;)

• Pachypodium Saundersii Seeds
    • Pachypodium Rosulatum Seeds
    • Pachypodium Lamerei Seeds
    • Pachypodium Horombense Seeds
    • Tylecodon Paniculatus Seeds
  • rcharles_gw (Canada)
    8 years ago

Martin,

Those seedlings Arabicum, P. saundersii & P. horombense are so cool. I love the P. horombense with their long leaves and you can see the spines starting.

I wish I could remember who it was Martin. Someone formed a thread and was asking about Pachypodiums starting and what differences in growth, i.e. leaves, spines, etc.. I told them what I knew from a one time starting some of the different species, but you would have been able to give them more in depth clarification.

Wonderful plants.

Rick

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    8 years ago

Tracy,

You are funny, hilarious and I am so glad that I am not the only one (I know there are many more here) that goes wild when ordering these seeds.

Good one you.

just looking through a log book I had started many years ago and kept all of the seed packs taped to pages with seller, date, germination, etc. to see what photo's of seedlings I might add to the Adenium_Ko thread. Didn't realize that I had received that many seeds. All I can say is that it is a good thing I do not have them still.

Rick

8 years ago

I've considered starting a log. Do you find that the log book has helped you at all?

8 years ago

Martin the P. horombense are even cooler looking than the P. saundersii. I am looking forward to see how these fare for me.

• Kadie
    8 years ago

Tracy,

I keep a hand-written log in a comp. book of whatever I have done in my garden. The notebook is divided into sections for tracking different plants. Sometimes, though, I forget to write things down or leave out details. I also have "to do" lists by calendar dates to remind me to fertilize, take pictures, and so forth.

-Kadie

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    8 years ago

Yes, the log book is a great source and it is quite wonderful to look back and see what results or progress you made. I have even kept a log as to when I watered, with what fertilizer, temperature. This has helped me for when we went away and I could look back and see so that I could make sure the plants I wanted watered got it and those I did want done where left untouched by person staying here. After Gill's experience, it got me even more aware of what to be aware of when leaving your plants with someone that does not really know.

Rick

• Martin (Denmark)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks for the comments. :-)

And now to something different...

I forgot about my single Euphorbia obesa seedling. You know the small bulb from outer space? ;-) I reused some potting mix for the Adeniums, and suddenly I am experiencing an Euphorbia invasion! They popping up everywhere. ;-)

Another intruder in the background. The largest one in the middle. And look to the left, an unknown seedling. It looks like an Adenium, but I could be wrong. I will follow it closely, then. ;-)

• Martin (Denmark)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Tracy, I am truely sorry, that my "fat-footed" and spined seedlings got your hooked/addicted to Pachypodiums and seed sowing. ;-) You know, you can always ship your future Pachypodium seedlings to me, if the new task as a Pachypodium grower becomes a burden to you. ;-)

• Martin (Denmark)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

And the "leftovers" from the days as a serious plant collector: ;-)

The Mammillaria-cactus is 30-35 years old. Got it when I was a wee boy. ;-) Any suggestions on the tree-like plant? ;-)

8 years ago

Very nice, Martin! Are you referring to the tree-plant in the back in the clay pot? Some closer pictures would be helpful here ;)

Also thanks for the advice about the log book. Mine will be computerized though so I can access it from anywhere of course.

P. S. Martin I realize I cannot blame you for my weakness to cute objects that grow. Even your tiny intruder seedlings are a great demonstration of the "magic" that takes place when you plant a tiny seed in some soil and wait for the response.

Martin (Denmark) thanked addicted2plants Southern IL USA
  • coastaladeniums
    8 years ago

Martin...I don't mean to hijack this discussion, but you mentioned you are also growing Bursera...?

Would love to see those.

I have a Bursera Fagaroides which I've been trying to encourage branches on - all is going well at the moment with that (and I have several rooted cuttings from it because I couldn't throw away what I cut off !) When I bought it, it had been left to just grow up and up...no branches, so I've been working with it for a couple of years. It's looking a bit nicer now, but will take a few more years to get it looking how I'd like.

• Martin (Denmark)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Dragonadeniums, well, I used to grow some Burseras and Commiphoras. I once had a nice Bursera specimen bought from a plant collector:

Now, I only got two small but fat Bursera fagaroides seedlings, grown from seeds myself some years ago (and kept small). And some B. hindsiana seedlings sprouted this year.

B. fagaroides is quite easy to grow (or at least keep alive ;-) ), but I find the species difficult to train as a bonsai. For some weird reason, my pruning never succeeds. The plants never grow branches where I want them to.

I would like to see your plant. :-)

• Martin (Denmark)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

My two Bursera fagaroides:

• Martin (Denmark)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Btw, things aren't going my way. I never received the Vitopod/propagator, and today I received 100 (too) small "net containers" instead of 100 round pots, ordered two days ago. >:-( The bottom of the net contrainers is virtually 90% non-existent. They don't go well with gritty soil mix, eh?

Today, I wanted to transplant a whole tray of Adenium seedlings, but now I have to postpone it...

8 years ago

Sorry to hear about your bad luck streak, Martin. I was hoping to follow your results closely with the Vitopod.

I for one can attest to the net pots being the messiest! Even just watering them makes a mess. I am currently experimenting with some A. obesum seedlings in net pots. They all got a little crispy when I was traveling south earlier this month due to not being watered. Hopefully they will bounce back soon. Your luck will turn around tomorrow. Then you can repot your seedlings and take pictures for us all ;) I am hoping to repot my 16 week old A. obesum and A. arabicum seedlings this weekend.

Tracy

Martin (Denmark) thanked addicted2plants Southern IL USA
  • coastaladeniums
    8 years ago

Martin, your Bursera look lovely ! I'm quite envious ! :)

I would love to grow some from seed. Maybe when I've got some space...I've just put 8 pots of rooted cuttings of P. Afra on ebay as I have too many ! If they find homes, I'll get my heated propagator out again, and maybe try some Commiphora too. I'd really like to try Boswellia, but it's hard to get seeds (and even harder to get them to germinate !)

My Bursera is very much a work in progress. When I got it, it had no branches and was about 3 feet long ! The first 6 or so inches was maybe an inch thick - it then tapered off like a whip. It had lost almost all of the few leaves it had whilst in transit (I imported it from Spain !)

It's shorter now, and thicker, and has developed some branches - it really is pot luck where they appear - but for me, any branch is welcome considering what it looked like when I got it !

As they are quite rare, I try to root everything I cut off it, and have had some success with that. I'll get some photos later today, or over the weekend.

Martin (Denmark) thanked coastaladeniums
  • Martin (Denmark)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

This thread will be continued in "Adenium Garden - Martin in Denmark - Part II". It's already too long...

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz