SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
avamom2012

Zone 7a : Request your help with new 2015 tall fescue lawn

avamom2012
8 years ago

Approximately 5000 sf of front yardage was torn up in November '14 during ext house work, then new fill dirt added, mixed and grading done. Wintered over with straw taken up early March '15. Same day rock hard soil was aerated well with large aerator, soil corrected per Logan Lab analysis, and seeded with Black Beauty tall fescue (approx. 50% dakota, 25% taos, 25% tombstone. Migratory birds passing through ate the seeds.

Second tall fescue seeding approx. 3 weeks later, late March with some light spread of growth by 4th week of April. WaterExperienced spouse has worked with many lawns re: watering. Hard, compacted dirt (silt, loam and clay) bothered him. We didn't know about shampooing for lauryl surfactant. Spouse does not use chemical weed killers and no gluten during above process.

Hot May 25 a very rich top soil layer was spread over above preceded by Scott's Starter Fertilizer and 3rd tall fescue seeding (Rebel mix) to help with areas of no growth. Still nada in same hard patch-less areas but now straw-like grass seems to be replacing prior green fescue. One deep drenching rain 5 days ago.

Be brutally honest with me. Have we killed new growth with Scott's starter fertilizer, did we perhaps water incorrectly. Just read of the tin can 1' measure so will access with that. I'm just getting more involved in this project now. I picked tall fescue (a cold season growth grass) over the previous warm season growth grass as I disliked the brown all winter. It's the wrong time of year to start a cold season grass but we hoped it would work in March. Please let me know your thoughts and what to do here. I'll try to answer with spouse help. Thanks so much.

Comments (3)