SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wolfridgeil

Cherry Bacterial Canker - Should I Remove Destroy?

wolfridgeil
8 years ago

I first posted this question as a reply to lifespeed's thread started in 2010 on same subject but decided to start a new thread so that my query was not buried as the 26th response...

5-31-15

Yorkville, IL (SW exurb Chicago)

I think I am getting a brutal education on bacterial canker in sweet cherry.

Please provide advice as to whether I should remove my ?infected? trees immediately.

I have four (4) semi-dwarf cherry trees - Montmorrency, Balaton, Bing, and Black Tartarian. They are Starkbros trees - don't know rootstock. The two tarts are about 10 yrs old and the two sweets are about 5-6 years old. They are planted about 25 feet apart in a 4-corner pattern with the sweets opposite each other and adjacent the two tarts. I am gravely concerned that the sweets, if truly infected, are going to infect the highly prolific tarts, each of which in all reasonable weather years have a full load of fruit. Presently I have no significant insect problem (I hope) - PC seems non-existent but lately finding occasional green soldier bugs and occasional lady bug-like insects.

On both sweets, I have been monitoring a trunk split problem since early spring which I thought was attributable to growth and weather. I also had quite a few brown buds that I believe are blossom blast. I again thought that was weather damage. I did see flowers but not many compared to the tarts - but as I stated some buds were 'damaged' and I presumed the sweets were just less hardy than the tarts. Presently lots of green leaves, but only scattered fruit. Always on the lookout for the dreaded fungal leaf spot, I became alarmed this week when leaves started dropping. Leaves are yellow with angular spots. The bark splits appear to have gotten uglier and are oozing. From the reading I have done in the last few days - it appears the trees have classic bacterial canker symptoms. I can see I violated several cultural principles - namely planting young trees with old trees, not protecting the trunk during winter, and last year I made some minor pruning cuts to remove lower limbs - and though it was dry weather and I used pruning paint I did not disinfect the cuts or let cuts dry out, and I did not leave stubs either as I have read on this site is a good way to insure the pruned area dries out. Instead I removed nuisance lower sprouts right up against the trunk. Also I have deer nibbling branches probably at least a dozen times per year.

I've got photos on these pages...

page1 Bing, page2 Black Tartarian

url to page1...

http://home.comcast.net/~8863184tuc/site/

to get to page2 click on link at top of page1 or use...

http://home.comcast.net/~8863184tuc/site/?/page/Sweet_Cherry_Tree_Bacterial_Canker%3F_page2_%28Black_Tartarian%29/

Comments (9)