SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marilyn_c

The recent Houston flood(s)

marilyn_c
8 years ago

I saw where a couple of people were asking about me...concerning the flood last week in Houston....and another mini one they had last night. Even though I live about 45 minutes from downtown Houston, and right on Chocolate Bayou, we only got about half an inch of rain. To look at all the mud around here, you'd think more, but we have had so much rain continually....half an inch here, an inch there, and about the time the mud starts to dry up.....it rains again. I am sorry for the folks in parts of the country under drought conditions. I wish I could send them some rain! Anyway, Chocolate Bayou doesn't go very far up, so it doesn't get a lot of run off from Houston. A few miles from me, up on the highway, Chocolate Bayou isn't much more than a creek. Down here where I live, it is 100' wide, so the water gets out of here very quickly. Also our property is fairly high and our house sits up about 3 ft. The entire weather system passed above us, and we got very little rain compared to other areas. I don't have a rain gauge but my husband said there was about half an inch of water in the feed buckets that were hanging outside. All of the rain and fresh water in the bay hasn't been good for shrimping, which is what my husband does, but I think it will eventually straighten out. Anyway....we are all fine. My daughter lives inside the loop in Houston and was happy to hear that their apartment and car didn't flood. I am sorry for the people who lost their lives and others who had so much property damage, but down here on the bayou....things are okay.

Comments (5)